What's new

When Did You Get Your First Knife?

My first knife was a Victorinox Mechanic. It was a Christmas present when I was 12; I kept it for nearly 15 years and lost it out on a job. I searched high and low for it, but never did find it. I went exactly one day without a SAK and couldn't handle it. I've had one on me every day since; I feel undressed if I don't have one anymore.

I got my 1st knife with my 1st fishing rod. I clearly remember my Cub Scout knife. I got my 1st bow at age 8, my 1st rifle at 13 and bought my 1st revolver at 18. The bow was carried to high school gym class for archery. I shot pistol matches at MIT. Sadly, the MIT pistol team has been purged by the university, if I recall correctly and possession of an expended cartridge case without a firearms permit is a crime in MA. Kind of like being charged with an alcohol offense for the mere possession of an empty beer can.

i would carefully consider the local culture and of course the values of both parents.

When I was around 8 or 9. It was an Old Timer that my grandfather gave me. I still have it around, though I don't carry it anymore.

The father is out of his life. One reason I'm "Grandpa." Mom just gave him the Uncle Henry. Of course now he wants more...early onset KAD. I'm gonna get him an Esee when he gets a little older. Mom's kind of leery. The boy's 9. What age, safest thou? They camp a lot. Maybe I should get a knife for mom.

I got my 1st knife with my 1st fishing rod. I clearly remember my Cub Scout knife. I got my 1st bow at age 8, my 1st rifle at 13 and bought my 1st revolver at 18. The bow was carried to high school gym class for archery. I shot pistol matches at MIT. Sadly, the MIT pistol team has been purged by the university, if I recall correctly and possession of an expended cartridge case without a firearms permit is a crime in MA. Kind of like being charged with an alcohol offense for the mere possession of an empty beer can.

i would carefully consider the local culture and of course the values of both parents.

I guess at about 7 years old. I have always carried a knife. Yeah,I have scares all over both hands from them but its just like putting on your pants and shoes, feel naked without one.

Had a knife since I was in my mid-teens, but have had a good knives since I was in my early twenties. Actually couldn't do much without them.

I was 9 or 10 when i got an Old Timer gifted to me from a friend carried it every where except school didnt know how to care for it but it was always there never knew where it ended up and now a good one is just not in the discretionary budget.

A Camillus jack knife, probably as a Bobcat

$CamillusJiggedDelrinScout.jpg

I never had one that had "Boy Scouts" etched on it.

-jim

I think I was 12. It was a fixed blade knife with a deer antler handle; it had my name carved into it. Blade was made from a file. It was bought by my Grandpa when I was born from a man he knew that did some custom work. So as long as I can remember I would eyeball it up on the shelf waiting until I was old enough to use it! I thought about running away from home once just so I could take it with me.

I still have it:)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It was my tenth birthday in Payton's Hardware Store in Lakeside, CA. Dad took me in and we picked out a nice little three-blade Case folder with a bone handle. I carried it with me everywhere, whittled many a stick, and it developed a nice patina. Loved that knife. Then after I joined the Army, I loaned it to dude out when we were out in the field, and he lost it. That was about two decades ago. I've had many knives come and go since then, but what I wouldn't give to have that one back. Oh well. Hopefully, someone else found it and gave it to their kid and its still whittling sticks somewhere.

First grade. And using it to sharpen pencils was not frowned upon so long as you stood over the trash can.

I must have been about 9 or 10 when I was able to lift fertilizer and seed bags up the step to the platform to fill the planter.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I popped out of the womb brandishing my first switchblade. I said to the obstetrician, "I hear you're the guy who likes to slap kids around." Cut the umbilical cord myself.

Anyone ever play mumbly-peg?

Got my first when I was about 5-6, Played mumbly-peg in the back yard and the school yard.

While at a SASS match about 5-6yrs ago dureing the evening a couple of guys(40ish) decided to play mumbly whilst sharing a bottle of Crown Royal, The lawyer from Tn got a strange look on his face when he saw the knife sticking out the top of his foot as the blood started oozing out of his boot. Ended up going to the hospital to get it to stop bleeding as it split a vein lengthwise.

My wife and I decided to give our three boys their first knife when they turned eight. Oldest got a Barlow, middle got a Winchester 3 blade and my youngest got a Victorinox Classic. Middle got a small cut last weekend and my wife said "all of you do it" and told him where the band aids are.

Top Bottom