What's new

Blender?

I am looking for a blender. I need something that is good for blending. Looking to make green smoothies, vegetables, seeds, etc. I am looking for something with good performance. I would buy a Vitamix, but can't afford that, at least not for the time being. I also would prefer something that has a glass jar. What are your experiences and suggestions?

Thanks

I think Cook's Country (America's Test Kitchen) did a blender review that you can find online. I know Vitamix was the top pick, but I can't remember what was second place.

I have a Ninja: It has a very heavy duty plastic jar container. It's an awesome blender with lots of HP. The more HP equates to more $$.

My vote is save up for the Vitamix. I absolutely love mine. It see's much more use than any other blender I've owned (Cuisinart, Oster, Hamilton). The 7 yr warranty justified the purchase as it seemed I was replacing my blender every yr or so.

I'd get the ninja now, and start saving for the vitamix. You might decide you don't need one by the time you are ready :)

Another vote for the Ninja, we have the second release of it so not all the extras you get now and we love it! Thinking of getting another one just to have all the extras, It truly is a great machine it should work well for what your looking for.

Consumer Reports, last I checked, ranked the Ninja as the #1 compact blender and the #3 full size blender. Vitamix was #1 but pricier. Breville was #2?

I prefer glass, but I find that my Ninja with 3 different containers to be incredibly handy and much more useful than my old glass blender (Oster).

I was in the same position as you a few months ago. I find plastic gross and always prefer glass. From my research, I could not find a blender that was both high-quality and had a glass jar.

That being said, I would get a Vitamix. They are the best blenders out there. I would not even consider another brand. The jars are plastic, but they are BPA-free. The thing that makes Vitamix so good is that they are very powerful. Even vegetables, like broccoli, that normally leave bits in smoothies, are pulverized by Vitamix.

What about blendtec.
Have you seen the will it blend video series on youtube. You can throw a whole can of pork and beans in it and it will blend everything, including the can.

I was in the same position as you a few months ago. I find plastic gross and always prefer glass. From my research, I could not find a blender that was both high-quality and had a glass jar.

That being said, I would get a Vitamix. They are the best blenders out there. I would not even consider another brand. The jars are plastic, but they are BPA-free. The thing that makes Vitamix so good is that they are very powerful. Even vegetables, like broccoli, that normally leave bits in smoothies, are pulverized by Vitamix.

I was in the same boat as Matthew, and I agree with everything he said.

We had a Breville with a glass jar and while it was a great blender it doesn't compare to a Vitamix. We make green smoothies several times a week and add nuts, quinoa, chia seeds, and other grains, I also put in a lot of kale or other greens and the Vitamix handles it with ease, it purees the nuts and seeds.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I was in the same boat as Matthew, and I agree with everything he said.

We had a Breville with a glass jar and while it was a great blender it doesn't compare to a Vitamix. We make green smoothies several times a week and add nuts, quinoa, chia seeds, and other grains, I also put in a lot of kale or other greens and the Vitamix handles it with ease, it purees the nuts and seeds.
Shawn, you need to post a smoothy recipe. I would like see to one.

Last edited:
What about blendtec.
Have you seen the will it blend video series on youtube. You can throw a whole can of pork and beans in it and it will blend everything, including the can.

I have not tried Blendtec, but many say that the brand compares well to Vitamix. I had previously owned a Vitamix and wanted another since I already knew that the brand was good.

I looked at Blendtec blenders and they look good. I read that it draws 20 amps and if you don't have a dedicated circuit it will trip your breakers.

Another deciding for me was that the Vitamix can take whole grains and turn them into flour. I do a decent amount of baking and at some point I'd like to have the ability to mill my own flour.

Shawn, you need to post a smoothy recipe. I would like see to one.

I don't really have a recipe, I have things that I usually put in but I don't measure much of it.

I usually start with a peeled banana and an orange, around a cup of almond or soy milk, or water. When I add any type of milk it's usually plain and I look at the sugar content per serving. A quarter to half a cup of plain Greek yogurt. Some of the Geek yogurts that have fruit have a ridiculous amount of sugar per serving so I avoid them, If I want my smoothie to be sweeter I add more fruit. Next we add a quarter cup of Chia seeds or Qia blend. Next we add the greens, Costco sells baby kale, which the wife loves and I think is just okay, I prefer a blend of Kale, Spinach and Chard. I put in a big handful of greens, I mean a big handful. Add a couple of handfuls of ice and blend away. Sometimes I'll add mint, or cucumber, and we have tried different frozen fruit, pineapple was pretty good. It's a good way to use up apples that are starting to get mealy or soft, or oranges that are starting to dry out a little. You can use any fruit you want.

I have to admit I love my Vitamix! On cooler days it is so easy to make (and heat up) some tortilla soup all within my vitamix! I use mine to make smoothies, lemon curd, peanut butter, make slurpies and even grate cheese.

Another vote for vitamix. I used to regularly strip out $100 blenders just crushing ice, but the vitamix has been cruising along for months of near daily use and I use it for rough veggie smoothies as well. You have to look at it just like a stainless steel razor or whatever, get over the up-front cost and enjoy it for years!

Top Bottom