What's new

First Impressions by Toothpick: Gillette Guard

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I got this razor for the novelty. Really inexpensive disposable. Turns out it's a great razor!

It is really bare bones, straight to the point shaving. Only 1 blade and the handle and cart combined are really light.
It's plastic and you could probably snap it in half if you felt like it, but why would you? It's a basic shaver.

I did a 2 pass shave - WTG then ATG. The razor rinses off astonishingly easy. Absolutely no clogging. I just sloshed it around in the sink of water and presto - rinsed off just fine.
It's surprisingly pretty sharp too. I had a 2 day beard and didn't notice any tugging or pulling. Also no irritation.

For the price and shave quality it's excellent. I have a DFS, a one stubble spot on my cheek, and one on my jaw line.

Overall a darn fine razor. Perfect for travel - light and cheap. I will be getting more of these for sure.

Impressed: inexpensive, sharp blade, no clogging, perfect for travel.
Unimpressed: A little effort is needed for a BBS.

$photo 1.JPG
$photo 2.JPG
$photo 3.JPG
$photo 4.JPG
$photo 5.JPG

Jason, how aggressive would you say it is?

Also, this razor could be a good alternative for guys with ingrown-hair problems who don't want to use a safety razor--one blade at a time seems to be best for them.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The blade gap is pretty substantial but the blade itself isn't super sharp (not like a feather).
I thought it was mild

Thanks for the review. I took one on my air travel a couple of weeks ago and concur with everything you said. Nice single blade cart. A mild shaver for a good price.

Did you have to apply some pressure when using this cart? I use the Guard when I travel but it is a bit challenging for me to get the BBS which I normally get using a DE razor.

Did you have to apply some pressure when using this cart? I use the Guard when I travel but it is a bit challenging for me to get the BBS which I normally get using a DE razor.
I found it did require pressure and the shave was similar to my DE.

Very nice review! I will definitely check this out for my travel needs. I am especially happy to see that it does not include one of those horrific "lube" strips. I hate those things...

Here's the official PDF press release from 2010:

https://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/innovation/factsheet_final_Gillette_Guard.pdf

I remember when these were first announced. It was a huge outrage, because in the US, the cheapest Gillette cartridges are about $3. Then out of the blue they come out with an interchangeable head disposable cartridge system specifically for the Indian market at a cost of 1/30 what they sell to the US. I know, I know, it's ancient history, and a completely different product. This is the history, though.

Great review, Toothpick. Thanks for posting the photos.

Top Bottom