What's new

2 questions from the new guy

This is my very first post here at badger and blade. I have used my Slim that I got from my good buddy *Terence* a few times now and each time I use it I am more consumed by the world of achieving the perfect shave! So here it is, my first ever question!!! 1. On a slim what is the most accurate setting for you? 2. What is the best way to avoid getting razor burn on the neck area. I have one small patch on my neck that gets raw almost every time I shave. *Terence* suggests to keep as much lubrication on the area as possible in order to avoid razor burn. He also said it would help to shave right after I get out of the shower. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance Gentlemen

David

Welcome abord!

1) Everyones face is different so there is no right or wrong setting on the Slim, just what works for you. I like mine between 4 and 6. Others like them on 2, others cranked up to 9. I'd suggest starting somewhere below 5 and sticking with that number while working on your technique for a while. Technique is, IMO, the single most important factor in getting a great shave.

2) Again, technique and practice are the best ways to avoid razor burn but obviously there are other things you can do. Razor choice, blade choice, good facial prep etc... A good soap or cream applied with a brush will blow away any goo that comes out of a can. Shaving right after a shower is a great way to prep, at least for me. Wash your face well and keep it warm and wet. There are million other things that either work or don't work for certain people and it might take you a while to figure out what works best for you. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Read up on old threads and I'm sure you'll learn a ton.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here. B&B is a great forum. You'll love DE shaving and learn a lot here.

1. Slim settings vary. Start at 5 and see how it goes.

2. To avoid the burn - good prep, good lather, no pressure, proper angle, and be sure to map your beard so that you know for sure which way it grows so you don't inadvertently shave ATG and cause irritation.

Good luck!!!

Warm welcome
Like said settings vary and mostly with vintage razors I like higher 7 to 9. I am sure you will find what works best for you and it won't need to be same every day.
IMO most important thing to avoid razor burn in neck area is to watch skin stretvhing. Skin in neck area is more sensitive and naturally when starting to shave neck you turn your head back and that tighten the thin neck skin more than needed. So learn to focus how much is necessary for you to lift your chin and apply a right amount of stretching. Watch your shaving pressure also and you will find a good technique.
Hope that helps

Welcome to B&B!

You finally stopped lurking and posted. There is a great group of Gentlemen with vast knowledge on the topic. Use it as a resource, maybe you listen to their advice when you don't listen to mine! :001_smile

1.) As stated before, everyone is different. I do about 5-6. 9 is a bit much for me. They is try different options and see what works best for your skin.
2.) For your razor burn, I prefer to shave fresh out the shower, without drying the face. Prep before getting in so all tools are at hand. I tend shave on WTG to avoid razor bumps. However you can also go XTG and ATG.

It was cool spending the 4th you, SWMBO, and the kiddos!!!

Thanks for all of your input, I have already started to bring your wisdom to life and am ready and willing to spread my new found knowledge!! I do want to take a quick second and just say thank you to the men that answered this post and make a new guy feel at home. So, Thank You!
I really cant express how much fun and positively consuming achieving the best shave is! I have a feeling you guys can relate. My wife, not so much (love her none the less :). Needless to say, I love it.
The Input that I recieved from this, my very first post was all inspiring!!! I appriciate all of the advice!

pancake, my next purchase will certainly be a brush and soap!! I am still at the very novice stage of spraying gillette shaving cream from a can.. Ya just dont know until ya know!! Well, now I know! Thanks again!!

BSAGuy, I after reading your response that even if I wasnt applying a whole lot of pressure it was too much, I will remember to focus on how hard I apply the razor to my skin. Thanks! *Terence* and I have also started to reapply shave cream after I make a pass. I also am going to be mapping my beard in the next couple of days which is something I never even knew was possible. I am so excited! Its just going to get better from here!!!!

TonyJ, Thank You! I think you just nailed it!! Wow! Its weird the things you dont think about until somebody brings it to your attention. I believe that I certainly over stretch my neck. Never even thought about it! ***LIGHT BULB*** :) So I will focus on how far I tilt my head back and the pressure that I apply. Thanks again!!! p.s. Its good to hear somebody who also likes to shave with this razor on a higher setting. I was beginning to thing there was something either wrong with me or the way I was shaving...ha.

*Terence*, you are the man! Thanks for sharing the wonderful world of shaving and introducing me to a good group of guys! The 4th was fun, thanks for coming!

Oh yea- Hows that Merkur Slant you picked up? Pictures sure were cool. Share!

You've gotten some great advice so far. I definitely agree with it.

The Merkur slants are awesome… you may find yourself looking to try one out too once you master your slim. But the slim is a lot of fun so enjoy it!

Oh, and welcome to B&B!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here. B&B is a great forum. You'll love DE shaving and learn a lot here.

1. Slim settings vary. Start at 5 and see how it goes.

2. To avoid the burn - good prep, good lather, no pressure, proper angle, and be sure to map your beard so that you know for sure which way it grows so you don't inadvertently shave ATG and cause irritation.

Good luck!!!

Plus One

The Slim is a nice razor.

i have the original instruction sheet for mine.
Settings 1-3 are described as varying degrees of mild
4-6 of normal
7-9 as close

Also, you could try Noxzema cream under your shave soap to reduce razor drag. Good Luck...

Welcome from Arizona !

On the one area of your neck that is getting razor burn, most likely the hair there grows a different direction than the other areas on your neck. Make sure your first pass is with the grain, and second pass is across the grain, before doing an against the grain pass.

Also, Make sure you use no pressure on any passes. If the razor isn't cutting well, adjust the angle the blade is touching your skin by moving the end of the handle closer or farther from your skin. Also let the lather sit on your skin for a minute or two before shaving to let the hairs soften up.

If after all that, you find you just have a patch of extra sensitive skin, then skip the against the grain pass.

Welcome OSAT... great comments so far...

IME, I've been at this about 7 months now, and am still surprised regularly how much lighter my touch can go... Give it time, have fun, and muscle memory will do the rest! A slim adjustable was my second razor, it is still in rotation...

Enjoy your shaves! -David

I have one spot just to the left of my Adam's apple where my beard grows S-N. It's the only place on my face like that, so I was shaving against the great for years with a cart before I switched to wet shaving and mapped my beard for the first time. Suddenly, it made sense why that part was always so sore.

I'd read about mapping but have never done it. I am letting the hair grow due to bumps so I will map prior to my next shave.

*Terence*, you are the man! Thanks for sharing the wonderful world of shaving and introducing me to a good group of guys! The 4th was fun, thanks for coming!

Oh yea- Hows that Merkur Slant you picked up? Pictures sure were cool. Share!

Pictures of the slant will be shared in a few... I will take pictures and post.

Thanks everyone! I havent shaved in 2 days and am just about ready to map my beard for the very first time. I cant believe its possible to be so excited about such a thing (does this mean Im getting old)lol! Whats a good way to go about this? (Ill Google it)

Im curious, how often does everybody here shave? I find myself eagerly waiting for my next shave! My facial hair grows pretty fast but I guess to avoid irritation I avoid shaving daily. However, I am new to wet shaving, am i able to shave more often when applying these skills that I learn here?

P.S. As I said before, I am new around here and I am sure that the guys that have been around a while hear this all the time but I just have to get this off my chest, maybe somebody can relate. I CANT STOP DREAMING ABOUT A GILLETTE TOGGLE!

Well, off to bed, sweet dreams fellow wet shavers!!!

I shave every day and some of time wish faster growth to get another shave. My normal routine is and will be wtg+atg (some parts xtg). That routine was same earlier with straights too.
Nothing wrong to dream about toggle (or anything else) and that is good start to get one in some day

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Thanks everyone! I havent shaved in 2 days and am just about ready to map my beard for the very first time. I cant believe its possible to be so excited about such a thing (does this mean Im getting old)lol! Whats a good way to go about this? (Ill Google it)
David; Your enthusiasm is apparent and contagious, I enjoy your posts!
Try mapping this way:
Lather. Then run your finger just ahead of your shaving stroke. It's a simple and fast way to learn your beard direction. You won't have to do it very many times before you KNOW.
And a hearty welcome to B&B!

THere are some great answers in this thread. I'll echo those who suggest lathering and running your fingers along your stubble. You'll be able to feel what Against the Grain feels like. Going with the grain on the neck and then either across or VERY LIGHTLY against is probably going to be your safest option. I can't really speak to the Adjustable, as when I had it, it didn't really agree with me. I don't like having too many variables.

You want to achieve shaving Nirvana? Practice, practice, practice. In addition, with all Gillette adjustables I use them at 4 or 5. It is amazing how smooth they are at that level....if you know what you are doing. Do not rush Grasshopper. I believe Confucius said "man who rushes his shaving progress will eventually have a long, long beard.":lol:

Alright guys so I have decided to reluctantly and excruciatingly wait until morning to shave. The reason is because I am going to learn a whole lot about the hair that grows out of my face (AND NECK) over night. I am going to be able to really map my beard the best if I give it this last night. As hard as that is for me to do. I pretty much have my darned razor in sight all the time, and if my physical razor isnt in sight then Im drooling over one somewheres else. BUT, this is going to go a Long way my men! Thanks for the tips on mapping guys!! I all ready notice SOOO much more then I did just days ago. Thanks to you guys. I promise to spread my experiences and the wisdom that is shared with me here.

Wow!!! CONGRATULATIONS on 6500 Posts coyotewhisper!

I had never thought about perfecting something without as many variables like adjustments jzuzphreek. Very interesting. After my honeymoon with the slim, who knows I could see myself settling with something without as much "chaos". lol

Thanks again guys, Im glad Im here.

David

Top Bottom