What's new

Flying with a DE safety razor-Tips?

I'm traveling by plane for the first time since before 9/11. Typically, I don't like to check my luggage if I can't help it, but I have no idea how the TSA pea-brains will react to my DE safety razor.

Any tips?

It's just not worth it as you will most likely find yourself minus a razor at the least. Do a search on here for TSA and also flying. Find an acceptable alternative to your DE like a Gillette Guard/Atra/TracII. Whatever works for you. Also look at shave sticks.

Typically from what I have read if you make it easy on them it will be easy on you. Safety razors are allowed in Carry-on bags as long as there are no blades

I haven't flown since 9/11, but I've seen other people here remark that sometimes the TSA doesn't believe that a TTO doesn't have a blade, or will at least hassle you about it. Those posters have suggested packing a disassembled three piece razor instead. Plan on getting blades at your destination or send some ahead.

My checked luggage was opened by TSA this last trip, coming and going, due I think to my travelling brush in its metal tube, looking menacing no doubt on the screen....

Options-

1) Check blades in luggage. I do this. I also put my razor here, as I do not want to lose a lovely pre-war chrome plated Tech to the TSA because of how it looks, or to be slowed down to be asked questions I could have avoided by checking it.
2) Buy blades at your destination
3) Ship blades to your destination
4) Travel with a cartridge razor instead (Gillette Guard?)
5) Meet up with a fellow B&Ber at your destination who will give you some blades, and have animated shaving conversations at a local hangout while getting strange looks from passerby :thumbup:

Options-

1) Check blades in luggage. I do this. I also put my razor here, as I do not want to lose a lovely pre-war chrome plated Tech to the TSA because of how it looks, or to be slowed down to be asked questions I could have avoided by checking it.
5) Meet up with a fellow B&Ber at your destination who will give you some blades, and have animated shaving conversations at a local hangout while getting strange looks from passerby :thumbup:

+1. I always fly with at least one firearm so I have to check a bag anyway. My Merkur feels nice and secure next to my Kimber ;-)

before your travel, search online (yelp etc)) for a local barbershop or beauty parlor near where you plan to stay, give them a call, ask if they use de blades (most of them does) inquire whether you can buy a few from them.

Options-

+2

I'll gladly volunteer to donate blades to traveling members coming to Cincinnati. Just prove you're traveling to Cincinnati, I don't want to fund a neighbors blade stash. :001_cool:

My checked luggage was opened by TSA this last trip, coming and going, due I think to my travelling brush in its metal tube, looking menacing no doubt on the screen....

No doubt the idiots in Congress would classify it as an "assault brush." lol

Top Bottom