What's new

Let's shine some light on LED light bulbs

Costco gents. Go to costco. Haven't had any issues with the FEIT line they carry. Candelabra bulbs are only slightly more expensive there.

this sums it up really well. savingings? you bet. I am a building engineer (Facilities maintenance) for a major nationwide retailer in the USA. ENERGY is a major component of my responsibility and is a big way to drive profits. given the proper color spectrum, LED lighting is a great alternative to incandescent or fluorescent lightning. it's Ability to last longer does pay for it self. you don't have mercury Containing lamps, unlike fluorescent. they adapt in a standard medium base Edison screw fixture. the price is dramatically dropping each year and I fore see the phasing out Clfs in my lifetime. I'm 47. I have 12 months worth of running charts and data to support the return of capital. length of service will very, but we expect to yield 10 years out of the average lamp in a commercial setting. currently we yield less than 3 years out of latest generation of high yield fluorescent lamp that takes a electronic ballast instead of the magnetic ballast.

u

Okay, as an electrician I rarely weigh in on these things. I speak in a different language to most people when it comes to electricity. As in 'he's speaking Greek', so I try to limit it.

Here goes with the LEDs. There are many brands right now, tonnes of models, and price points all over the place. We have been using Philips led lamps exclusively since this is what our wholesale house carries as a main line lamp brand. They seem to be working out great. I will try to get exact model numbers tomorrow so you can see what we use. We have a decent variety considering that a year ago when we started experimenting with them we got the craziest looks you can imagine from our administrators. I can tell you that so far, our failure is...zero. No kidding. Some of these have been installed for 16 months and not one failure. These are medium base(think standard light bulb) models and are fully dimming capable. Most all LEDs are dimming capable. We also have some smaller watt medium and candelabra base versions for chandeliers and wall sconce lighting. No failures. We also recently installed four, T8, 32 watt equivalent four foot LED tubes in two of our stairwells. These are fantastic because they use the existing ballast for power! No removing the ballast and installing a LED power module. These replace ONLY T8 32 watt equivalents on instant start ballasts. No T12, no magnetic ballasts, etc. PAY ATTENTION to the installation guidelines for what works with what. The cost us a bit over $20 per tube and that is government agency pricing. Expect to pay significantly more at a retailer.

Usage. Consider this. Currently we are putting the LEDs in fixtures that are a real pain or a bit dangerous to change lamps. The tubes went in the top level of a stairwell that needs a 12 foot stepladder to reach. See where I am going here? We are experimenting before committing fully. The other lamps went in high vaulted ceilings and chandeliers. Some of these were getting new lamps monthly. They were compact fluorescent which is NO WHERE near as good as it is made out to be. In fact, I would say they are a scam. Period. Fluorescent tubes are another matter. Very reliable but u-bends, compacts(2 and 4 pin) and compacts with medium bases are simply too cheaply made to give the life they should. And they generate a lot of heat. The LEDs run so cool you can grab a 70 watt equivalent flood lamp after just deenergising it and you will barely get your hand warm. As to costs it is going to vary. My feeling is they save a lot of money over time. Particularly if you get long service life out of them. And that's the rub. You need good ones so they last. Burned out in a year or two is no bargain. This is a constantly changing(for the better) technology and my personal opinion is within a decade no one with any sense will install anything other than LED.

Cheers, Todd

Interesting discussion. I really dislike the CFL because while they were supposed to last significantly longer than incandescent that has not been my experience at all. Hope the LEDs continue to improve.

Good show Jason. We just installed six of those 3.5W equivalent lamps in some high dollar sconce fixtures at one of our small dorms. They look fabulous in the frosted glass diffusers. The glass is not regular opaque white. More like a stone/ultra pale greenish hue and the cooler temperature of the led casts this great hue toward the ceiling. If I can I will get a photo of them lit up. We also installed some 7W 470 lumen models in three chandeliers in another small hall. We sourced these at our wholesale house for just under ten dollars apiece. Prices are dropping rapidly so watch for bargains. I will say it again. If you are installing new fixtures or completely lamp in your home please ditch the compact fluorescents. They are so cheaply made and yellow so quickly I wouldn't install them anywhere unless you are getting them REALLY cheap.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Good show Jason. We just installed six of those 3.5W equivalent lamps in some high dollar sconce fixtures at one of our small dorms. They look fabulous in the frosted glass diffusers. The glass is not regular opaque white. More like a stone/ultra pale greenish hue and the cooler temperature of the led casts this great hue toward the ceiling. If I can I will get a photo of them lit up. We also installed some 7W 470 lumen models in three chandeliers in another small hall. We sourced these at our wholesale house for just under ten dollars apiece. Prices are dropping rapidly so watch for bargains. I will say it again. If you are installing new fixtures or completely lamp in your home please ditch the compact fluorescents. They are so cheaply made and yellow so quickly I wouldn't install them anywhere unless you are getting them REALLY cheap.

I'm slowly converting the whole home to LED. I got lucky today and saw these and bought them all. Wasn't planning on it, but they were so cheap. I don't even have a use for the 3.5w but at $3.00 maybe I will one day.

I put the four 4.5w in my kitchen light that previously had 5 60w incandescent bulbs. With just these 4 LED's it's plenty bright and the incandescent put off a lot of heat that I didn't like.

We've been using LED lights in the trucking industry for a while now. Mostly to avoid fines for lights on the truck being out. I can't comment on how much money you might save, but the only times I've ever seen a LED light fail was during the summer. They really don't like heat and the individual LED bulbs inside start to flicker before they fail.
One thing that we had to learn was to clean off the lights when we were in snowy or icey areas. They produce so little heat that it won't melt the accumulating ice and snow like the incandescents do.
They also don't mind being turned on and off repeatedly. The Plant I work at currently have been testing led lights on some of the dock doors now for about a year. The setup here is that the dock lights are constantly flashing. About once a week I have to call in the repair crew to fix the incandescent ones but as far as I know the led lights have never needed replacing. Come to think of it I've never had to replace a led truck or trailer light either. The yard truck I'm running currently came with LED tail lights. It's got about 3000 hours on it. About half of that is with the lights on. If the lights ever need to be replaced I'll drop a line here.

I've heard this more than once........
attachment.php
It works!!

Been sleeping with a light on forever. For the last two weeks I haven't been getting enough sleep. Last night I turned the CFL light off and slept an extra hour. Only got up 5 minutes before the alarm clock.

As these bulbs get more popular I am hearing more and more about their
effect on sleep patterns ...CFL bulbs had eye pupil flickering effects plus mercury content,halogen bulbs were fire hazards,maybe I should have saved more than just one case of incandescents !

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sleep patterns not an issue for me. The benefits of these far outweigh any drawbacks.
People need to start winding down at the end of the day in preparation for sleep, and not having a flood light on in your bedroom before you nod off is part of that.
There are LED bulbs in spectrums with lower blue light levels. People simply have to be smarter than the light bulbs they buy.

Last edited:
I have several LEDs from small, candelabra-base bathroom mirror surround bulbs to outdoor floods. Generally the wattage for comparable lumens seems to be about 80-90%. When shopping for them at Home Depot or on Amazon, I look for the incandescent wattage equivalent. So a "60 watt equivalent" LED is what you look for. It will probably draw 6 watts or so.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the bump.
It's going on a year from when this thread was created, and I am happy to report that I haven't replaced a single LED bulb since before this thread was originally posted.

I did replace my kitchen tube type fluorescent lights with equivalent LED tube replacements.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's only a matter of time before incandescent goes the way of the VHS.

I'm VERY happy with every LED bulb I have. My only real issue right now is the 5 ceiling fans in the house. They are all the same and all take the candelabra type bulb. With the tiny screw base. Those LED's are still pretty expensive.

Phillips is putting out a $5.00 LED in May.

60 watt equivalent. Available at the Home Depot, and for the first 90 days they will be available in a 2 pack. That's right....2 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs for 5 bucks!

I'll be in line to buy enough to outfit my house. No reason not to now!

http://gizmodo.com/you-have-no-reason-not-to-upgrade-to-philips-new-5-led-1698559829

Jason, thank you for sharing this. This is much better than our wholesale house pricing and of course it is because of HDs buying power. Nevertheless, this is a brand name LED for next to nothing. Just be sure it is rated for whatever type of dimmer you may use them with. Many of the companies are specifying specific dimmers these days for LEDs whereas when they were trying to get us to buy them they told to use 'any good regular incandescent dimmer rated for the proper wattage'. Now that they are selling we need newer dimmers? Maybe, maybe some salesmanship. We are using bog standard incandescent dimmers with no issues.

Thanks for the bump.
It's going on a year from when this thread was created, and I am happy to report that I haven't replaced a single LED bulb since before this thread was originally posted.

I did replace my kitchen tube type fluorescent lights with equivalent LED tube replacements.

Phil, this has been our experience as well. If you don't mind sharing, what type of linear tubes(straight flourescent tubes. I am just using electro-geek nomenclature with the linear stuff) did you buy and how much did you have to pay? I ask because ours were installed into the fixture with no further modifications. They are powered by the ballast. Some models were requiring removal of the ballast(electrically, not necessarily physically) and an LED driver to be installed. So far, ours are flawless.

I have a table lamp that switches to dim-medium-bright-off just by touching the base. You don't need a 3-way bulb; an ordinary incandescent 40-watter will do. I've bought a couple of equivalent LED bulbs, hoping that they would perform similarly, but they don't. You only get bright or brighter, not dim. :sad:

If there's an LED bulb that works in this type of lamp, I'd be thrilled to know about it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, this has been our experience as well. If you don't mind sharing, what type of linear tubes(straight flourescent tubes. I am just using electro-geek nomenclature with the linear stuff) did you buy and how much did you have to pay? I ask because ours were installed into the fixture with no further modifications. They are powered by the ballast. Some models were requiring removal of the ballast(electrically, not necessarily physically) and an LED driver to be installed. So far, ours are flawless.

I purchased these;

http://www.lowes.com/pd_621153-3-75...earch=led+tube+bulb&productId=50297599&rpp=32

SYLVANIA 19-Watt (32W Equivalent) Warm White Linear LED Tube Light Bulb (Common: 48-in; Actual: 50.25-in)
Works with existing instant on ballast.

At $28 bucks, it's about 10 times as expensive as a similar fluorescent, but it has already lasted twice as long as the fluorescents it has replaced, and I expect they will keep on much like the other bulbs I'm using.

Oddly enough, the fluorescent tubes have a stated lifespan of 20,000 hours (the LED tubes are stated at 50,000 hours) but I know for a fact that the fluorescent did NOT last anywhere near that.

Top Bottom