What's new

Kansas City Meet up October 25, 26, 2014

Oh wow!!! Today just got even better! I checked the mail a few minutes ago and look what came in from The North Annex Shaving Co. A custom made razor just for our meet up. The colors in the handle is awesome. I don't know if it comes out in the picture but the material is opalescent and very eye catching. If you like that you need to go to his website and see what he can do with other razors, brushes, and stands. The North Annex Shaving Co

$The North Annex (1).jpg

$The North Annex (2).jpg

Woo hoo!!! Look what's going to be at the meet up!!!

View attachment 481163

The wonderful folks from Captain's Choice are sending a bottle of their Bay Rum as a door prize. They are also sending some samples to give out as well. If you've never tried it you're missing out. It's a great scent and it lasts a good long time. Thanks Captain!

Ops! My bad. I forgot to post that the Captain has arrived! If you haven't tried any of their AS you need to check them out at the meet up. The scents are great and they last a good long time. And, if you haven't done so yet, go check out their website, they also have brushes and lathering bowls. Captain's Choice

Last edited:
I know I will be. I'm bringing all my razors to work on and get help on the finer techniques of honing. :001_smile

I will be too, I'm bringing some of my razors and get help on the basics of honing. :001_smile Actually, I'm doing an initial honing on all of mine at home and identifying the problem ones and I'm hoping to get help with techniques to deal with those.

I will be too, I'm bringing some of my razors and get help on the basics of honing. :001_smile Actually, I'm doing an initial honing on all of mine at home and identifying the problem ones and I'm hoping to get help with techniques to deal with those.

Smart move, I need to do the same thing. I picked up a couple of nice razors but most of them have a small frown that needs to be worked out before I go to KC.

This may be a stupid/naive question, but is this KC meetup practically all about straight razors (edited) and honing? I'm all DE, so will it offer anything of interest to me?

Last edited:
This may be a stupid/naive question, but is this KC meetup practically all about SE and honing? I'm all DE, so will it offer anything of interest to me?
Yes, we can get you interested in Straights. :)

I know there will be soapers. I have seen pics of other meets and there were more than a few DE folks there.

I also heard a rumor about some Q ......

This may be a stupid/naive question, but is this KC meetup practically all about SE and honing? I'm all DE, so will it offer anything of interest to me?

FYI... SE is short for Single Edge, like Gem and Ever-Ready razors.

These meets initially focused on straight razors, but they have grown. It's more of a Wet Shaving meet than just a purely Straight Razor meet. Even if it was purely straights, I'm sure you'd have a good time and learn a lot too.

Ditto. Mostly straights but there will be folks there that do DE and SE as well. The first meet up I went to was a mix of DE, SE and straight razors. I left that meet up with a straight and have been shaving for the most part with a straight since then. I do have a Rolls Razor and Merkur razor I shave with from time to time as well. I'll use the Merkur for touch up after the straight on the week day. Here is a picture that was posted else where from the last KC meet up.

$safety razors.jpg

This may be a stupid/naive question, but is this KC meetup practically all about straight razors (edited) and honing? I'm all DE, so will it offer anything of interest to me?

I still use mostly DE and SE, straights are on the weekends, so I can take more time to learn it.

Just noticed this thread...been following details on another forum. I'll be bringing some cool straights and hones, hope to be able to help some folks get their gear in fighting trim. Putting wife and brat daughter in a room in KC. My plan: distract them with shopping and disappear for two days! So looking forward to this!

I still use mostly DE and SE, straights are on the weekends, so I can take more time to learn it.

Make sure you get with some of the pros, do a shave in front of them and have them give you some feed back while shaving. That's what I'm planning on doing for Sunday (get some growth to shave off :001_smile).

Just noticed this thread...been following details on another forum. I'll be bringing some cool straights and hones, hope to be able to help some folks get their gear in fighting trim. Putting wife and brat daughter in a room in KC. My plan: distract them with shopping and disappear for two days! So looking forward to this!

It will be nice to have you there. Its going to be fun and I'm looking forward to the food almost as much as the meet up. LOL!!

Ah, another wonderful day. A custom made shave brush just came in from Rudy Vey and it's gorgeous! It's a nice shape and easy to hold and the cream colors of the handle blend nicely. The knot is badger and it has some back bone with some nice soft tips. Who ever wins this one is going to enjoy using it.

$Rudy Vey (2).jpg

$Rudy Vey (1).jpg

If you want to see more of the beautiful work Rudy does with brushes and pens, go check out his website. Ultimate Pen Designs

I'm still using the walgreens shaving kit boar brush, never tried a badger.
Night and day difference between the experience of Boar and Badger ... you grab that Silvertip and it will revolutionize shaving for you (or at least lathering). Not saying one is better than the other, just HUGELY different experiences. My Silvertip looks like it has "some" soap in it, but holds enough to make three passes + touch-ups.

Top Bottom