What's new

Traveling with DE

DE pals:

After a week I am pretty well sold on this safety razor thing. I travel periodically and only carry luggage on the plane usually. Blades are not allowed. So, how do you get your blades when you travel?

I mail them ahead: tape a couple of blades to a business card and drop that into an envelope. Also I carry a backup system: a bumpfighter handle and some Trac II cartridges.

I mail them ahead: tape a couple of blades to a business card and drop that into an envelope. Also I carry a backup system: a bumpfighter handle and some Trac II cartridges.

I wondered if anybody tried that! So I could just mail to the hotel. Interesting idea.

I always just put them in my checked luggage, but I suppose that won't work if you've only got a carry-on. I never thought of the mailing idea, but that sounds like it should work...

Worse comes to worst, you could always just buy some once you arrive! Who knows, you might find something new you like.

Do most drug stores carry some DE blades? I have never looked.

I can't say if "most" drugstores do, but I know that one of the local big brand drugstores does. Otherwise, men's grooming stores should have them. Even House Of Knives, which is more of a culinary store, has razors and blades in Canada. I suspect places like Walgreens and the like should carry them as well... They may not be the best blades, but you might be able to find some Gillettes.

I wondered if anybody tried that! So I could just mail to the hotel. Interesting idea.
I have had success mailing to both the hotel and someone with whom I will be meeting on the other end, be it business or personal. My back up of course is a Sensor disposable if I don't have time.

Blades -

1) Check in luggage (not carryon)
2) Mail to destination
3) Buy at destination
4) Cartridge in carryon (Gillette Guard?)
5) Try to find a B&B member at your destination where you can do a "beer/razorblade" swap

Blades -

1) Check in luggage (not carryon)
2) Mail to destination
3) Buy at destination
4) Cartridge in carryon (Gillette Guard?)
5) Try to find a B&B member at your destination where you can do a "beer/razorblade" swap

Never thought of this, but there you go!

We ought to start a list of locations and people willing to trade blades for a beer (or a buck).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like the mailing to your hotel idea.

Your Name
C/O Hotel Name
Address

maybe add your check in date
when you check in let them know you should have mail there. Presto!

Great Ideas! I have never thought about it since I do not travel that much. I am looking forward to trying a few of these when I do though.

I wouldn't try that unless you're willing to lose the psycho. What TSA agent is going to take the time to undertand its nuances and pass is through? Much less risk for them to just toss it.

I wonder would a gillette psycho with the blade locked in there pass security .......

I just use a cart or disposable when I fly as I am not at my destination typically for any length of time and don't have time to go looking for blades (long meetings or erratic schedule). It just makes me happier to get back to my tools when I get back. I do have a travel bowl, synthetic brush, styptic pencil and creams specifically for my travel kit though.

I have another option for you to consider when traveling with a DE razor.

In a prior life I was a hotel desk clerk/night auditor. We normally kept "complimentary" generic razors behind the front desk for guests if the need arose. You may be able to get free generic razors at the hotel where you're staying. Another option is to call the hotel where you'll be staying ahead of time. Ask the person you speak with if there is a convenience store near the hotel. Most hotels have a list (or directory) of stores located within close proximity of the hotel. They can tell you what is in the immediate area.

You also can go to the hotels website and look up the amenities for that particular hotel. They normally list the various businesses within a few miles of your hotel. That should tell you if you need to mail razor blades ahead of time. The last hotel I worked at had 3 locations that carried various shaving & personal hygiene product less than 5 minutes from the hotel.

Hopefully this helps you with the razor issues while traveling.

I used to fly a ton with carry on luggage. I always used a Dorco 2-blade cartridge, sort of a Sensor clone. I never wanted the hassle finding blades upon arrival and my trips were usually planned on short notice so mailing blades wasn't an option.

Top Bottom