What's new

Fine aftershaves

D

Deleted member 48987

I emailed Mr Fine and told him I think he should consider selling little packets of menthol crystals as well. It would probably be profitable for him and convenient for customers. Just my 2 cents.

I emailed Mr Fine and told him I think he should consider selling little packets of menthol crystals as well. It would probably be profitable for him and convenient for customers. Just my 2 cents.

Kind of like salt and pepper at a restaurant. It is better to have it available for customers that prefer a little "kick". Good suggestion.

Or people who like menthol in their aftershaves should buy other mentholated aftershaves or their own menthol. I don't get where this would make it more profitable for Fine.

It does not make good business to offer "both". Todd is doing a great job of keeping up with the curve. He offers an excellent product at a good price and works hard to produce the best AS he can. They are what they are, simple great smelling, mentholated, alcohol based aftershaves. Nothing more, nothing less. Great products with excellent customer service.

If you feel a need to "alter" them in any way, go for it. No one is ever going to make a product that will appeal to everyone in every way.

Get some, enjoy them.

Mr. Fine is going back to his older, lower menthol formulas (formulae?). This should please many of you.

I have the new samples and will have 4 of the old flasks and it will be nice to compare the 2. I like menthol but so many members have stated it interferes with the fragrances. I don't think that is sound chemistry, and although I've had several college classes in it, I'm hardly a chemist. My best guess is the menthol in an aftershave is an completely inert component.

Has anyone compared the old formulation of Italian Citrus with the limited run Fine for RazoRock XXX aftershave splash. I have never tried the old version so I am curious about the scent. I have a few bottles of Fine for RazoRock XXX that performs exceptionally well and I am glad I purchased a few to stash for a rainy day.

I have the new samples and will have 4 of the old flasks and it will be nice to compare the 2. I like menthol but so many members have stated it interferes with the fragrances. I don't think that is sound chemistry, and although I've had several college classes in it, I'm hardly a chemist. My best guess is the menthol in an aftershave is an completely inert component.

Menthol has a strong scent itself so not sure how you can not see it altering the scent.

I have...I mentioned to Todd that to me both are close to the AdP Colonia, but the old IC formula is closer to AdP Colonia Essenza, and he confirmed as well...Essenza is also a fantastic scent, IMHO

Many thanks for follow-up! I have the new formulation of IC, the retired Fine for RazoRock XXX AS, and the new RazoRock XXX AS. I do like them all and would not hesitate to repurchase any of them - They all perform exceptionally well with actual scent being YMMV. It is easily to tell (smell) that they are inspired by AdP. With that said - IMO, the Fine for RR XXX AS is the closest to AdP followed ever so closely by the current RR XXX AS.

On pure coincidence, I just wore Adp Essenza yesterday. Thanks again for the quick reply!

my new bottle of Platinum is very nice (which is why i bought it) but i would like it even MORE if it had less menthol. I can definitely smell the menthol on first application and its only when it dries down does the wonderful Platinum scent kick in. SWMBO will kill me if i buy another Platinum bottle when i just recieved mine 2 days ago.

Wow, that is impressive. I must say I've not tried any of his products before, but after reading this, it is apparent that he isn't just interested in the bottom line. He truly appreciates his customers. I will be ordering soon.

Edit:

In fact, I just did. For the sampler pack.

Last edited:
I just received my sampler pack yesterday, and used Snake Bite for the first time this morning. Wow what a kick! Not sure about the scent, but SWMBO seemed to like it. Some of the other scents are really nice, esp. Platinum and American Blend. These will definitely go in the rotation.

I still have a flask left of those 2 and to me the IC is a citrus bomb ,while the Fine XXX is a more refined , sophisticated scent . I've tried every single one of the old and new offerings and much prefer the original formula. I'm glad he is returning to that. Favourites are the American Blend and the L'Orange Noir but not a single one I dislike. Highly anticipating the reformulated Platinum.

Menthol has a strong scent itself so not sure how you can not see it altering the scent.

I didn't realize menthol has its' own odor but what I meant was changing the chemical nature (aka actually altering the chemical molecules by a few atoms here or there) of the essential oils or whatever he uses for his fragrances.

Personally im extremely bummed by the decision. I loved that nice big cool down for about 10 min or so then it was just the scent of platinum left. No menthol scent for me after the cool down which is what made it so nice. I emailed him and asked for at least the menthol crystals to be an option. Thats the only win win really. Ill be ordering another bottle of platinum tomorrow

Mr. Fine is going back to his older, lower menthol formulas (formulae?). This should please many of you.

Indeed. I think this is a super move.

And there was much rejoicing!

Yes, from me too! :thumbup1:

I hope he is ready for the backlash to the change back to the original formula. Can't please everyone! I think he's making the right move. You can always add more menthol.

Exactly… just add some menthol if you want it.

He stated on reddit that he didn't really care about the backlash from people who disliked menthol, but he was really surprised by the feedback from people who said that the menthol overpowered the fragrance and made it harder to smell.

This is exactly the problem. I actually made a special trip to Merz to try to buy some, and when I finally got to smell it in person, every single bottle of each scent smelled like Menthol. If I want that, I'd just use my trusty bottle of Aqua Velva Blue. The scents smelled so nice except I really couldn't get all of them because the menthol was overpowering. I ended up not buying any of it. I'm looking forward to going back and trying out the scents again once the new (old) formulas come in stock.

Personally im extremely bummed by the decision. I loved that nice big cool down for about 10 min or so then it was just the scent of platinum left. No menthol scent for me after the cool down which is what made it so nice. I emailed him and asked for at least the menthol crystals to be an option. Thats the only win win really. Ill be ordering another bottle of platinum tomorrow

I do love me some strong menthol as well but it ruined these aftershaves (okay maybe not ruined, but degraded them). I bought 1oz of menthol crystals on eBay for $5 shipped and those will lady me quite a while. I think it would be cool for Todd to have a menthol crystal option (pre measured?) but u totally understand if he wants to let his product stand in its own feet.

D

Deleted member 48987

In response to my email about selling menthol crystals, Todd let me know that it was already in the works.

Top Bottom