What's new

Gem Star - I hope all SE blades are not this bad

After hanging out on the board here last winter, I decided to go after the single edge routine. In March we visited some antique stores in my area. I walked away with a 1912 Junior, 1912 typical and a G-Bar - all for $20. I was happy. I cleaned up the Junior, found some Gem Stars in a drug store and started in.

I've gone through almost 20 blades so far. I shave every other day for the most part. I have my technique down. No cuts, weepers, etc. Nice close shave. I bought two 10 blade packages from two different stores at two different times. One was labeled "CVS" brand, but they are obviously the same blades. I have average to light facial hair.

Both packages gave identical results.
1. First time, great shave.
2. Second time, OK shave.
3. Third time, lousy shave. Not close, can feel it struggling to cut the whiskers, have to go over the tough spots way too many times. I can get a fourth shave out of these that are just a little worse than the third, but it's not worth it at all. In fact, the third shave isn't worth it.

So I have a couple of questions.

Does anyone share my experience and opinion regarding these blades?
Has anyone been able to compare them to the SS PTFE coated blades?

I was thinking of ordering 200 blades from Connaught, but if I'm not going to see a significant improvement it's just going to be worth it to me. I've recently scored some nice vintage Gillette DE razors and will try some of that for a while if I can't get at least three good shaves out of the SS Gems.

I really like SE shaving, but this is not cost effective to me. One great shave and one so-so shave? No, not at all.

So has anyone gone from GemStar to SS coated? What did you find?

Oh, and yes, I dry my razor and blade off completely immediatey after every shave and coat the blade with mineral oil. There are absolutely NO rust/corrosion issues. The blades look perfect out of the box.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't like the Gem star blades. I mean, they work but I didn't find them great. The SS blades are different and feel better (YMMV). However, before you jump in and buy that much blades, I would suggest buying a smaller quantity first.

I like the PTFE coated blades the best as far as SE (and injector) blades go.

Smooth. Sharp. AND not all of the muss and fuss associated with carbon steel blades.

Are you removing, drying, and storing the carbon blade after shaving? If you leave it wet in the razor, oxidation will kill the edge overnight and you will get tugging and irritation on your next shave

proxy.php

I didn't like the Gem star blades. I mean, they work but I didn't find them great. The SS blades are different and feel better (YMMV). However, before you jump in and buy that much blades, I would suggest buying a smaller quantity first.

I don't know where I can get a smaller amount than a box of 100.

Check out the Single Edge Blade Guide (courtesy of Hoosier Trooper):
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292388-Single-edge-blade-guide

I've read that. More than once. It doesn't seem to address my situation, but I'll go back and have a look again. It's been awhile.

Are you removing, drying, and storing the carbon blade after shaving? If you leave it wet in the razor, oxidation will kill the edge overnight and you will get tugging and irritation on your next shave

proxy.php

The courtesy of a response is always appreciated. But really - read the post. All of it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

I've read that. More than once. It doesn't seem to address my situation, but I'll go back and have a look again. It's been awhile.

The courtesy of a response is always appreciated. But really - read the post. All of it.

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1623602 is the original distributor for the blades. You can buy directly from them but I believe that 50 blades is the minimum. Make sure you buy the right blade as they have different models and not all are suitable for shaving.

The website that you linked sells a pack of 10.

There's also tryablade.com that sell some but I never used their service.

So I have a couple of questions.

Does anyone share my experience and opinion regarding these blades?

No

Has anyone been able to compare them to the SS PTFE coated blades?

Yes.

I was thinking of ordering 200 blades from Connaught, but if I'm not going to see a significant improvement it's just going to be worth it to me. I've recently scored some nice vintage Gillette DE razors and will try some of that for a while if I can't get at least three good shaves out of the SS Gems.

I get 14-16 shaves out of a stainless PTFE coated and about 8-10 shaves out of a carbon blade

So has anyone gone from GemStar to SS coated? What did you find?

I get the same quality shave out of SS and carbon SE blades

There are a number of retailers that sell them in 10 count

Google is your friend

You will find others are more willing to help you if you are polite

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1623602 is the original distributor for the blades. You can buy directly from them but I believe that 50 blades is the minimum. Make sure you buy the right blade as they have different models and not all are suitable for shaving.

The website that you linked sells a pack of 10.

There's also tryablade.com that sell some but I never used their service.

Ted Pella is really expensive on the shipping. To get anything reasonable, you have to have them ship it to a business. Even then, Connaught is less expensive for the exact same thing. Go figure.

I don't know what website you are referring to for the pack of 10, but thanks for the tryablade.com link. That might be just the thing to try some SS SE blades and try out the DE vintage razors I have in my drawer, still untried.

70 cents a piece for Personna MedPrep. Wow! More than Feathers? I wonder why. I don't know much about DE blades.

I will be in the minority here but I love Gem Blue Stars! Blue Stars to me are smooth and sharp but their longevity is pretty short. Usually by the third shave they are no good to me. Treets are razor sharp but their longevity is also short the PTFE coated blades last much longer for me. The CVS blades tug too much even on their first shave.

The PTFE coated blades are probably your best bet. I love Blue Stars and Treets that I bought 120 Treet blades for only $13.

I had similar experiences. I had picked up the GEM Star blades, and would get three shaves from a blade, but I shave both my face and head. I dry them after use and even cork them, then I tried stopping them; these steps did seem to improve the number of shaves I get.

I then ordered a pack of 100 from Connaught. I still dry them and cork them, but the blades do last longer I find. I can get six day s from a PFTE Connaught blade.

I also feel that it does have something to do with my technique also, which has improved since my first pass with a SE.

I have used the SS and carbon Gem blades. I have no idea how anybody can get more than three shaves out of the carbon blades. Even carefully drying them, oiling them, and stropping them cannot make them work for more than three shaves. They are disposable blades in the purest sense of the word.

The SS blades will readily provide 4-5 good shaves. 7-8 if you're careful, prep and technique being good. Possibly a couple more than that if you have thin hair. For my tough face about 6 is the limit, and I usually toss them after the 4th shave anyway.

I will be in the minority here but I love Gem Blue Stars! Blue Stars to me are smooth and sharp but their longevity is pretty short. Usually by the third shave they are no good to me. Treets are razor sharp but their longevity is also short the PTFE coated blades last much longer for me. The CVS blades tug too much even on their first shave.

The PTFE coated blades are probably your best bet. I love Blue Stars and Treets that I bought 120 Treet blades for only $13.

Same story for me...

You can get 10 blade dispensers of Gem PTFE blades from Connaught Shaving; Good price and shipping cost.

What ended up happening is that I scored a 70s Schick Krona, '59 Red Tip, '58 Flair Tip, '48-'50 SuperSpeed and a Solingen Straight Razor from an antique store; all for $40. So I ordered a bunch of different blades from tryablade.com including some of those SE PTFE blades. If I like them I'll just order 200 from Connaughts.

This stuff is addicting. I orginally thought I was going to find a way to get a good shave and save a lot of money.

I found a way to get a good shave.

Top Bottom