What's new

Question about fountain pens and checks

Is it possible to use a fountain pen to balance your checkbook register? I wonder if the ink would bleed through the pages? If I get a founatin pen, that would be my main use, writing checks and using the check register.

I am almost embarrassed to say that I don't balance my checkbook or use a register. I log onto my bank's website every couple of days and if I don't see any unfamiliar charges, I figure I'm all set. I know that's a bit reckless. Still, from years ago, I remember the check register paper being pretty thin. That being the case, you would probably want to use a finer nib and a dryer ink. Alternately, you can get some fountain pen friendly paper and print your own register. For something that small, you could easily bind it with staples.

As as far as checks, I only write a handful a year with the advent of online bill pay. There is concern about writing checks with a non-permanent ink. I don't know how common it is these days but if you use a washable ink, someone could find a way to scam you. I use an iron gall ink for the few checks I do write. I prefer Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa - which is kind of purplish. Their Salix is also iron gall and it is blue. These inks run on the dryer side so may also work well in the register. These inks are much more permanent than many other inks and more resistant to check washing. Diamine and ESS make a Registrar's ink which is supposed to be waterproof, bombproof, bulletproof, etc. . . So that may be the safest option for writing checks.

We have a lot more folks in the nib more educated than I, so hopefully they will be along with some options as well.

Thank you for your input. I am old fashion when it comes to my money. I like to see visually when I'm not at my computer, how much money I have at any given time. For the time being, I am using a Parker IM Ballpoint pen for my checks and register. I was curious as to going fancy and using a fountain pen.

As Chris said, I would be more concerned with the ink choice for a check. I just switched over to using noodlers for my check writing purposes. It is non washable, and very permanent. During my own bit of "testing" I was unable to remove the ink from paper. Couple a permanent ink like that with an extra fine nib, and you should be good to go.

Noodler's Black is an excellent ink for checks. It works well on a variety of papers, even cheap check registers or low-bid copy paper, and is bulletproof...meaning once it's dry on the paper, it's basically impossible to remove or alter, even with sophisticated chemicals. A combination of Noodler's Black along with a pen with a Fine or Extra-Fine nib should easily meet your requirements.

I use Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher (blue-black) for writing all my checks. I write about 2 - 4 a month. I have tried using it, as well as a pen with Quink Permanent Black, for recording checks and I do get bleed-through on the register. So I write the checks with my fountain pen and record with a ball-point.

If that wasn't bad enough I record the running balance in pencil.

I also record my transactions in Quicken. It's great for end of the year IRS reporting.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Not to hijack the thread, but how often do you have to clean a pen loaded with Diamine Registrars Blue-Black?

I have luck with a Lamy Safari EF nib using Noodler's Black. The Safari F was a bit too think for me, but a Pilot VP "F" worked ok.

I also like keeping a check register, but also download the transactions to financial software to track spending.

Good luck.

While I don't write many checks these days, I have made my own "register" of sorts in a small notebook (Field Notes Shelterwood, in my case) to track my debit card usage.

I do most of my banking online, it's easy enough to check my balance right from my phone, but seeing my spending habits written down in ink on paper has really helped me to curb some of my "frivolous" spending.... Nevermind the $140 Vanishing Point I use to write it down with. I needed it.

I've never seen the need to write checks with some sort of good-for-eternity dynamite-proof ink. I only write maybe one check a month, for rent. It goes from the building's office to the bank, is photographed, goes to my bank and eventually back to me. What can possibly happen to it? Everything else is on-line, which I trust less than physical checks, really.

So I use my usual J. Herbin Violette Pensee, knowing full well that it will fade in a year or three. No big deal. And no money to Noodler's, which is always a good thing.

So I use my usual J. Herbin Violette Pensee, knowing full well that it will fade in a year or three. No big deal. And no money to Noodler's, which is always a good thing.
Why the slam against Noodler's? You may not care for the ink and you can choose not to buy it, but wishing ill to a business is a bit extreme.

While I don't write many checks these days, I have made my own "register" of sorts in a small notebook (Field Notes Shelterwood, in my case) to track my debit card usage.

I do most of my banking online, it's easy enough to check my balance right from my phone, but seeing my spending habits written down in ink on paper has really helped me to curb some of my "frivolous" spending.... Nevermind the $140 Vanishing Point I use to write it down with. I needed it.

There's an app for that. I have an Android and started off with Pocket Money and Pocket Money Desktop (available on IOS also) so that I could sync it with my computer. Now I use anMoney because it can directly export QIF files (and only export entries not previously exported) that will successfully import into Quicken. Paper registers are a thing of the past.

Top Bottom