What's new

If you cook Brussel sprouts?

I like to add olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh chopped rosemary in a bowl of halved micro cabbage, toss and roast. I also fix large diced spuds and eggplant the same way which goes great with a burger instead of fries.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For special occasions, I like to do a little casserole. In a pat of butter, sauté some halved sprouts with bacon lardons and sliced garlic until well browned. Sprinkle the top with some flour, stir and let it cook out and then add a good amount of half and half. Bring it up to a bubble and let it thicken for a few minutes and then add some nutmeg and Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Maybe a bit more Parmesan on top and toss the skillet in the oven for 20 minutes or so. Pretty rich, but good for the holidays.

Yummy...this is another I'll put in my book.

I slice up about 10 or 15 or them, Not the lengthwise but width wise in about 3/16 width, It sort of looks like cole slaw at that point,

Olive oil in the pan with garlic, minced sweet red pepper and onion.

Throw in all the chopped B sprouts and add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and put the lid on so it starts to steam.

When the B sprouts are soft, salt and pepper to taste and grate some Parmesan cheese over top and sprinkle some bacon bits and serve.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLING ME.

My recipe book is filling up quickly.
Brussel Sprouts are my favorite.
I am the only person in my home who will eat them so I cook them and have veggies for lunch at work for an entire week.
You all have given me many different ways to enjoy them.
Thank you so much!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLING ME.

My recipe book is filling up quickly.
Brussel Sprouts are my favorite.
I am the only person in my home who will eat them so I cook them and have veggies for lunch at work for an entire week.
You all have given me many different ways to enjoy them.
Thank you so much!

Yep, that just means more sprouts for you.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Width wise. Good Lord man . . . please tell me you know which end of a soft boiled egg you start with. :lol:

Simple like this is best. Kinda obvious to take off the dead leaves and stem (looking at the video, not your post)

I slice up about 10 or 15 or them, Not the lengthwise but width wise in about 3/16 width, It sort of looks like cole slaw at that point,

Olive oil in the pan with garlic, minced sweet red pepper and onion.

Throw in all the chopped B sprouts and add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and put the lid on so it starts to steam.

When the B sprouts are soft, salt and pepper to taste and grate some Parmesan cheese over top and sprinkle some bacon bits and serve.

Width wise. Good Lord man . . . please tell me you know which end of a soft boiled egg you start with. :lol:

Simple like this is best. Kinda obvious to take off the dead leaves and stem (looking at the video, not your post)

Well Mike, if you slice em in the wrong direction they just don't taste as good!

On another note, My wife hated brusel sprouts, I made them for her this way and now she loves them, AND, now that she likes them so much she makes it her way, which is the same as mine except she adds some butter at the end before serving.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well Mike, if you slice em in the wrong direction they just don't taste as good!

On another note, My wife hated brusel sprouts, I made them for her this way and now she loves them, AND, now that she likes them so much she makes it her way, which is the same as mine except she adds some butter at the end before serving.
It is scientific fact that sandwiches cut diagonally taste better than those that are sliced the other way :001_smile

It is scientific fact that sandwiches cut diagonally taste better than those that are sliced the other way :001_smile

Absolutely!

Now here is the proper way to fillet a Brussel Sprout,

Width slice gives you this:
$001.jpg

And length slicing gives you this

$002.jpg

:lol: You bin schooled!

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We have different objectives. That is all well and good. I like mine in half and browned on the cut side with garlic and olive oil.

I know a lot a of people don't like Brussels sprouts. I didn't until I cooked them right. I like to roast them in the oven with a little onion, garlic, salt and pepper with a splash of olive oil. You can even put on the broiler in the last few minutes to get a nice char. Now I love them. How do you cook them?
I like them like that, but cut them in half first. I do them in the oven or on the grill.

D

dwLost

Maybe this is too much work BUT it certainly is worth the effort!

INGREDIENTS

· 2 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/2 cup)
· 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 10 ounces Brussels sprouts (about 18 medium sprouts), trimmed and halved through the core
· 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
· Kosher salt
DIRECTIONS
Heat the pancetta and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a heavy 10-inch straight-sided saute pan over medium-low heat until golden and crisp all over, 10 to 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels, leaving the drippings in the pan.

You should have about 2 tablespoons of drippings left in the pan; if not, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Measure out 1/2 cup water and set aside. Put the pan over medium-high heat and arrange the sprouts cut-side down in a single layer. Cook until nicely browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the water to the pan, cover immediately and simmer until the sprouts are tender when poked with a fork or skewer, about 3 minutes. (If the water evaporates before the sprouts become tender, add more water 1/4 cup at a time.) Transfer the sprouts to a plate with a slotted spoon.

Return the pan to medium-high heat. (It is fine if any water remains; it will boil off with the vinegar.) Add the vinegar and a few grinds of pepper and boil the vinegar until lightly syrupy and reduced to about 2 tablespoons, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the butter and stir until melted. Return the sprouts and pancetta to the pan and toss to evenly coat with the sauce. Season with salt and more pepper.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The vinegar is an interesting idea and I like the reduction. I guess in a pinch, bacon will also work. Lately I have been doing something similar but without the vinegar. I render the bacon and remove, slice the sprouts thinly and throw into bacon grease. After a minute throw in some garlic let it cook for a minute then return the bacon and throw in beaten eggs.

I know a lot a of people don't like Brussels sprouts. I didn't until I cooked them right. I like to roast them in the oven with a little onion, garlic, salt and pepper with a splash of olive oil. You can even put on the broiler in the last few minutes to get a nice char. Now I love them. How do you cook them?

Try adding a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to that.....

Having made an appearance in the big cooking thread and being back in season here, a couple more approaches i didn't notice mentioned...

Halve or quarter if large in size, brown in butter then pour in some whipping/heavy/35% cream braise until 'tender to suit', squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper to taste.

Colcannon we make with sprouts, cabbage or leeks. Slice up sprouts, brown/cook in butter, add your best left over mashed potatoes, (rich in butter, cream and salt), mixed to incorporate the sprouts, flatten out into a large pancake and fry until you have a nice brown crust, flip the pancake and fry to crusty on second side. Could cut the pancake up and serve as wedges or roughly remix and scoop out helpings.

dave

You can roast them or sautée them. Bacon fat and garlic go a long way.

Think of them like a slightly more bitter, miniature cabbage and see what you come up with.

In the oven, make sure not to overcook and dry them out. Nothing worse.

Top Bottom