What's new

Difference between adjustable slim and adj fatboy? And aristocrat? And red/blk tips

As a Gillette enthusiast, I posess a few techs, an adj. slim, a fatboy on the way....bidding on an aristocrat...what is the difference between these?
Edit: and what major Gillettes am I missing?

Size!! Slim is just that slim head and smaller handle. Fatboy has a larger head and thicker Handle. Aristocrat is just different

Slim approx 71 gm ( 2.5 oz )
Fatboy approx 78 gm (2.8 oz )

Slim: 9 cm ( 3.5 inch )
Fatboy: 8.5 cm (3.35 inch )

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

As a Gillette enthusiast, I posess a few techs, an adj. slim, a fatboy on the way....bidding on an aristocrat...what is the difference between these?

Spanning approximately 70 years, the Aristocrat nameplate was longest running of the Gillette line of DE razors.

$zz.JPG
New Improved version of the Aristocrat marketed in the 1920’s that was sold in the same French Ivory case.

$aa.jpg

In 1934, Gillette released first twist-to-open (TTO) one-piece razor in the form open comb Aristocrat with the spiral handle knurling that we refer to as “bulldog” knurling. It was sold in either a black leather-covered or gold-plated brass clamshell style case.

$bbb.jpg

The open comb model gave way to the solid guard bar version around 1940, and was available in the same two cases.

$www.JPG

Attachments

• $qqqq.jpg
    $qqqq.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 89
http://www.razorarchive.com/the-history-and-evolution-of-the-us-gillette-aristocrat
The post-WWII Aristocrats were identical to the pre-war models with the exception of the added end caps. These were available in small blue or burgundy leather (or faux leather) clamshell cases with gold-plated blade banks. This set was available in 1946 and 1947. The 1946-1947 Aristocrat models came with the no-notch center bar and can be identified by the smooth bands.

$a1.jpg

948-1950

The Aristocrat models feature a few design changes. Besides the addition of knurling to the upper band on the handle, the 1948 models came with notched center bars for hands-free blade loading. The case was changed to a larger square shaped clamshell model, the wording stamped on the inside of the base plate changed from “PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE” to “PAT. NOS. ON PKG”.

$1313.jpg$1212.JPG

1951 was the last year of production for the fixed head Aristocrat, and it was completely identical to the 1948-1950 version. The only difference 1951 model has a date code (“W” for 1951) stamped on the bottom of the base plate, and with the exception of a rare 1950 “V3” test date code model, these were the only fixed head Aristocrats to have date codes on them.

$Capture.jpg

After a decade absence, the Aristocrat made a comeback in 1961 in the form of a gold-plated Slim Adjustable that came in hard plastic presentation case.

$Capture.jpg

Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed

Blue Tip Super Speed

Manufacturer:Gillette
Dates in Production:1955-1960
Type:DE, TTO
Weight:46-g
Height:

Description: A more mild version of the 50's Style Super Speed, with less detailed knurling and a lighter aluminum handle.

Notes of Interest: Said to be favored by ladies before the introduction of the Lady Gillette. Date code 'F' is rare[1].

Photos:

Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed

Categories: Double Edge Razors | Gillette | Gillette Razors | Gillette Super Speed Razors | Safety Razors

Gillette Red Tip Super Speed

Red Tip Super Speed

Manufacturer:Gillette
Dates in Production:1955-1960
Type:DE, TTO
Weight:64-66 g
Height:84-mm

Description: Marketed for those who like the feel of a heavier razor or have to cut tough whiskers.

Notes of Interest:
  • Contemporary with Blue tip or Flare tip models, but heavier and more agressive.
  • With C-1 production, a new '+' mark under each side of the base plate began to appear.
  • There were at least two handle styles, pictured on this page. With C-4 or D-1 Gillette lowered the crimped band above the knob slightly. Probably at the same time, a retaining ring replaced the older cross-head bolt inside the handle, the handle hole grew from 6-mm to 7-mm, and the weight was reduced from 66-g to 64-g.
  • Date code F is rare, and has only been seen as F-1[1].

Photos:
Gillette Red Tip Super Speed

Top Bottom