What's new

Anybody else commute to work via pedal bike.

my bike commute was derailed about four weeks ago by a crash and a broken radial head. Cast is off now, and in a couple of weeks I start physio. Out for the season, though.

I do not bike to work, but I live in Seattle and it is crazy watching the city integrate bike lanes downtown. This week they have ramped up and are handing out tons of tickets....to bicyclists! Its a weird merger thats all I know. A bunch of finger pointing in addition to everybody trying to learn to share the roads.

my bike commute was derailed about four weeks ago by a crash and a broken radial head. Cast is off now, and in a couple of weeks I start physio. Out for the season, though.

Yikes ... that would certainly do it.

I do not bike to work, but I live in Seattle and it is crazy watching the city integrate bike lanes downtown. This week they have ramped up and are handing out tons of tickets....to bicyclists! Its a weird merger thats all I know. A bunch of finger pointing in addition to everybody trying to learn to share the roads.

I actually applaud the police for doing that.

If we cyclists want to be "equals" on the road, we need to act like equals and that means following the laws. So many riders blow off stop signs and stop lights. Gives those of us who do follow the rules, a bad name. It's incredibly frustrating.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I applaud you for seeing the humour in this with your choice of avatar ...

image.php

Here's to a speedy and full recovery!

25 degrees during the commute yesterday morning! In the past I have quit cycling once the temperature dips to about 35 degrees, but I am making an effort to go a full 12 months this year. Living in Chicago there will be days where it is not feasible, but I am going to keep at it as long as I can.

Good on you man ... I just can't do it. Anything below 30 and my body just says no. I think my last commute was Oct. 27th.

About a week after that I found out my position is being eliminated, so I'm hoping that wherever I land I'm able to commute again in the spring.

Just chiming in to say I have a very brief commute, but it is always done by bike. We sold our second car a little over a year ago, so I use a bike for any trip I take inside of the city limits here. I live in a town that's about 5 miles x 5 miles, so it's not tough. Trailer for the groceries, panniers for quick trips to the drugstore or Wal-Mart; it keeps me honest about purchases and the riding keeps me moving.

34 degrees here this morning. Not too bad.

My work moved from a cheap parking location and close to home (10k) to downtown (15k) and expensive parking. Being as cheap as I am, I've started commuting via bike to avoid paying for parking.

Last week I got in about 150k of commuting and hopefully it will continue through at least the kids school year and perhaps beyond. Summer will depend on how their day camps and childcare works out. Weekend and evening rides with the kids, between soccer and other activities, are still happening too.

If feels good to have a little longer ride, save some money, get some exercise and be back on the saddle.

Luckily my ride is still scenic, through a beautiful park, on some bike lane routes and I have free & secure bike parking right in our work area.

I think I've gotten more rides in this year then all of last.

Last edited:
My work moved from a cheap parking location and close to home (10k) to downtown (15k) and expensive parking. Being as cheap as I am, I've started commuting via bike to avoid paying for parking.

Last week I got in about 150k of commuting and hopefully it will continue through at least the kids school year and perhaps beyond. Summer will depend on how their day camps and childcare works out. Weekend and evening rides with the kids, between soccer and other activities, are still happening too.

If feels good to have a little longer ride, save some money, get some exercise and be back on the saddle.

Luckily my ride is still scenic, through a beautiful park, on some bike lane routes and I have free & secure bike parking right in our work area.

I think I've gotten more rides in this year then all of last.

That is awesome, Bruce. I still knock out about 9-10 miles per day for my work commute, it feels so good passing the bus that I would pay to use while riding my bike for free!

Man do I miss commuting.

I moved, and my new job is 45 miles from home, so a full-on commute isn't possible these days.

I have kicked around the idea of driving to my exit, and parking at the Park and Ride and then riding my bike the rest of the way to work (about 10-12 miles). I no longer work in an office with a dress code, but for an IT company with a very relaxed atmosphere, so I could even get by without having a shower in the same building.

I've just been off my bike for so long, for so many reasons, I'm having a hard time getting back to it.

A recent spate of back troubles may convince me though ... I need to shed some weight.

I have kicked around the idea of driving to my exit, and parking at the Park and Ride and then riding my bike the rest of the way to work (about 10-12 miles).

I've just been off my bike for so long, for so many reasons, I'm having a hard time getting back to it.

A recent spate of back troubles may convince me though ... I need to shed some weight.

Park and ride is a great idea. I have even thought about it when it gets too chilly or rainy to ride the whole way. Grab a free parking spot on a side street, take my bike out of the super cool mini-van and zip over to work on my bike.

Biking is a great way to get back into shape, shed a few pounds, save a few bucks and have fun....all at the same time.

Last edited:
I had to change my first commuter flat the other day. Luckily it was close enough to work, I could walk my bike in and change it in the office.

My little CO2 thingy sure came in handy. I was able to inflate it in a millisecond and make it home. I deflated it and filled with air, replaced the CO2 and tube in my backpack.

It was a pothole and as soon as I hit it, I knew it wasn't good. I made it a few more kms before I stopped and saw it was leaking fast.

proxy.php

I had to change my first commuter flat the other day. Luckily it was close enough to work, I could walk my bike in and change it in the office.

My little CO2 thingy sure came in handy. I was able to inflate it in a millisecond and make it home. I deflated it and filled with air, replaced the CO2 and tube in my backpack.

It was a pothole and as soon as I hit it, I knew it wasn't good. I made it a few more kms before I stopped and saw it was leaking fast.

proxy.php
Were you able to save the tube?

Were you able to save the tube?
I could have. But at this stage of my life, I don't mess around with patches. Too messy, don't always work and the glue usually dries out before I have to use them.

A tube costs me $4 Canadian and I know they are dependable.

I could have. But at this stage of my life, I don't mess around with patches. Too messy, don't always work and the glue usually dries out before I have to use them.

A tube costs me $4 Canadian and I know they are dependable.

I hear you. I usually just patch because I don't have quick releases on my my wheels and it is actually faster in that case :lol:

How much do those little CO2 carts cost?

I hear you. I usually just patch because I don't have quick releases on my my wheels and it is actually faster in that case :lol:

How much do those little CO2 carts cost?
I had to check, as I bought them about 4y ago....$3.75cdn each locally. $12 for the valve tool, which of course does not have to be replaced each time.

Seeing as it is the first one I had to use, I don't mind investing that. I carry two of them, in case one doesn't take. But I always carry a mini pump as well. If would take quite a bit of pumping go get 80lbs of pressure with that little pump.

When I'm at home changing tubes or tires, I use a floor pump.

I had to check, as I bought them about 4y ago....$3.75cdn each locally. $12 for the valve tool, which of course does not have to be replaced each time.

Seeing as it is the first one I had to use, I don't mind investing that. I carry two of them, in case one doesn't take. But I always carry a mini pump as well. If would take quite a bit of pumping go get 80lbs of pressure with that little pump.

When I'm at home changing tubes or tires, I use a floor pump.

Cursed by my confidence. Got a nasty pinch flat this morning right where the valve connects to the tube. Unpatchable. Fun mile walk in my bike shoes to replace tube. :thumbdown

In other news, I have a nice little mini-pump that has no problem getting me up to over 100lbs. I don't know what makes it work so well, but I have used other pumps that struggled to get over 30lbs, this thing is a mini-beast! http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Road-M...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Top Bottom