What's new

Back to the Bike?

strop

Now half as wise
I was in a bike shop for the first time in 5 years. WOW! Carbon fiber has taken over. Sram components were nowhere to be seen on road bikes. Dura Ace components were pretty much top of the line. Looks like I need to do some research.

The first bike shop I walked into was so overwhelming that I pretty much blew past a couple of bikes and walked right back out, Mark. Like you, I hadn't been in a real bike shop since I bought my Trek in 2007.

Yes! Once you get more into biking you can start participating in century rides or half centuries. I just completed my first 100 mile Gran Fondo and "Wow, what an experience it was!" After months of training I feel like I completed a huge achievement and am looking forward to my next 100 mile ride in September! Just thought I'd share. :)

The wireless units (as is this one) are very reliable now a days. I haven't done any 5-6 hr rides with it, but it's rated at 14hr before needing recharge.

Bottom line, I recommend a bike CPU to anyone riding, whether they ride casually, commute or for exercise. They add a bit of fun to the ride. A $25 will do all anything anyone really needs in the end.

That's a lot of great info, thanks Bruce!

Yes, that is a lot of great info. My knowlege on razors and few other things have come from our B&B members, they seem to get more sophisticated and knowledgeable every year. I may just get one of these units, i do ride alot and this can help maintin some kind of order. I have a Android app [Tracks] but it seems to be lagging on the data. I dont trust it any longer.

The wireless units (as is this one) are very reliable now a days. I haven't done any 5-6 hr rides with it, but it's rated at 14hr before needing recharge.

Bottom line, I recommend a bike CPU to anyone riding, whether they ride casually, commute or for exercise. They add a bit of fun to the ride. A $25 will do all anything anyone really needs in the end.

The first bike shop I walked into was so overwhelming that I pretty much blew past a couple of bikes and walked right back out, Mark. Like you, I hadn't been in a real bike shop since I bought my Trek in 2007.
I love the bike shops, every time i go in one there seems to be the ultimate bike just calling my name. And when i walk past the accessories isle it is worse. It seems like i want to buy every new accessory in there. I am considering a recharging Dyno wheel with light assembly. But some say that it slows the bike down.

proxy.php
$Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Settled on the Cateye Strada computer & should have it today. I did 10 miles on the bike yesterday evening & felt good. Just a pretty leisurely pace of about 10-12 mph around the neighborhood while my son ran. A recent bout of laziness on his part has forced us to monitor his runs, so I rode while he ran. We obviously weren't moving at the same speed, I was just keeping him in sight as he went throughout the neighborhood.

My front wheel is rubbing on the brake pad a little so I may need to get the wheel trued up a little at the shop. I can't see a wobble in it, but it is definitely rubbing at least once per revolution.

Edit: After looking at a couple of youtube how-to vids, I think I can true up the wheel myself while it is still on the fork. Off to the bike shop this afternoon for a spoke wrench.

Last edited:
Settled on the Cateye Strada computer & should have it today. I did 10 miles on the bike yesterday evening & felt good. Just a pretty leisurely pace of about 10-12 mph around the neighborhood while my son ran. A recent bout of laziness on his part has forced us to monitor his runs, so I rode while he ran. We obviously weren't moving at the same speed, I was just keeping him in sight as he went throughout the neighborhood.

My front wheel is rubbing on the brake pad a little so I may need to get the wheel trued up a little at the shop. I can't see a wobble in it, but it is definitely rubbing at least once per revolution.

Edit: After looking at a couple of youtube how-to vids, I think I can true up the wheel myself while it is still on the fork. Off to the bike shop this afternoon for a spoke wrench.
So did you true up your wheel yet?

So did you true up your wheel yet?

I was going to, but couldn't detect where the wheel was running out. I adjusted the pads, thinking that would give it the clearance, but of course as soon as I got back on to ride, it started rubbing again. It doesn't cause much resistance, but it does cause an annoying squeak with each revolution. I may just need to adjust the brakes to give a hair more clearance between the pad and the rim. Not a whole lot of experience wrenching on bikes so it is trial and error for me.

Congrats on getting back into cycling. I started up because after shoulder surgery I was not able to run for almost a year. At the 6 month mark one of the guys that worked for me suggested cycling. Well thats 5 years ago and to say I love it is an understatement. I am now a cat 4 racer. When I am not deployed (like right now) during the season I ride between 200-300 miles a week in training. I have done about 4-5 century rides and they are incredibly fun. I have a Trek Speed concept Time Trial bike, a Trek Madone and when I get home from this deployment will be getting a Specialized Venge. Any questions you have about riding, gear, bikes, components feel free to ask away. As far as the cycling computers I have a Garmin Edge 800 but am looking to go to either the 510 or the 810 when I get back from this deployment as well. I really like the ability to sync it with your cell phone to get instant weather updates and the ability to allow friend and family to track you in real time.

I was going to, but couldn't detect where the wheel was running out. I adjusted the pads, thinking that would give it the clearance, but of course as soon as I got back on to ride, it started rubbing again. It doesn't cause much resistance, but it does cause an annoying squeak with each revolution. I may just need to adjust the brakes to give a hair more clearance between the pad and the rim. Not a whole lot of experience wrenching on bikes so it is trial and error for me.
I sucked at it too, try this vid out. He is very good at explaining and making it simple. He also tells you how to make the wheel round which is important, you dont want an egg type wheel, you want a nice straight and round wheel for smooth ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6eOamGK2tY

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom