What's new

The Simple Pleasures of Cleaning Up

In my house, I used to do almost all of the cooking until we switched responsibilities a few years ago. Most of my kitchen tasks revolve around baking now. Nevertheless, since I don't do the cooking, I do the clean up instead. Tonight, we had a simple dinner of baked lemon garlic chicken with couscous. The bird was a really excellent kosher bird, and dinner was fantastic. There were no leftovers. As I started cleaning up. I found myself standing at the stove, picking the browned chicken bits from the baking pan, mindlessly licking delicious lemony, garlicky schmaltz from my fingers. I hate doing dishes with a violent passion, but tonight, I didn't mind so much.

I do a lot of the clean up as well and find myself sneaking an extra meatball when putting the dishes away, grabbing an extra piece of Tosinio or nibbling on a drumette when I am loading the dishwasher.

It has similar benefits to be the person doing the grilling, out of view. Sneak a piece of bark here, a potato plank there or whatever is on the grill. :thumbup1:

There are benefits to doing both jobs and I take full advantage of both, when I can.

Last edited:
I despise doing the dishes, probably because it's been my chore since childhood. But I can't stand when my wife does the dishes, because she does them all wrong. So I usually take it upon myself to do them. Why can't I be this OCD about my job?

Several years ago I started cleaning as I cook, and what a difference it makes when we are done. It's not always easy or possible, but most of the time it eliminates that dreaded feeling at the end of a meal, making final cleanup a snap.

I've worked in the dish/pot room of a hospital kitchen, as a dish/pot boy in several restaurants, and hashed at multiple sorority houses.

I am sure I passed the 1 billion mark on dishes washed ages ago :yesnod:

Dishes don't scare me any more :nonod:

mr clean magic eraser and dawn platinum and let soak for a little while if you need a stronger scrubber try a nylon pad for nonstick and steel wool for steel bottom pots and pans.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm a clean as I cook guy. Usually the kitchen is cleaner, with things put away, dishes loaded in the dishwasher, sink empty, after I cook.

I leave it up to the staff.

$downton-abbey-servants.jpg

I'm a clean as I cook guy. Usually the kitchen is cleaner, with things put away, dishes loaded in the dishwasher, sink empty, after I cook.

That's how I am, but my wife on the other hand :cursing:

I never understood why people don't put the oil, spices, wrappers, butter, eggs and everything else away, right after it gets used. :blink:

That's how I am, but my wife on the other hand :cursing:

I never understood why people don't put the oil, spices, wrappers, butter, eggs and everything else away, right after it gets used. :blink:

That's what I do.

I once had a girlfriend complain about how I did the dishes. After I stopped doing the dishes for a few days she decided that my way of doing them wasn't so bad after all.

I try and clean as I go, but generally the missus washes up and I dry and put away. This is fine, unless we have a roast chicken, because she picks the carcass clean for the next meal before washing the roasting tin, and I am pretty sure she scoops the oysters...

In our place in France we have a dishwasher and I quite enjoy loading that, and letting the machine do the work.

In our place in France we have a dishwasher and I quite enjoy loading that, and letting the machine do the work.

I would not exist without a dishwasher. We have an Asko here and a half size/width Miele at the cabin. Both have heaters that take the water up to 200º +/- which is a lot hotter than I can stick my hands into so I know the dishes are "clean" when the cycle is done.

I would not exist without a dishwasher. We have an Asko here and a half size/width Miele at the cabin. Both have heaters that take the water up to 200º +/- which is a lot hotter than I can stick my hands into so I know the dishes are "clean" when the cycle is done.

I'd like one here but we only rent the apartment and I am not paying to remodel the kitchen(!) They are not that common here as most people have a maid to do it...

In my house, I used to do almost all of the cooking until we switched responsibilities a few years ago. Most of my kitchen tasks revolve around baking now. Nevertheless, since I don't do the cooking, I do the clean up instead. Tonight, we had a simple dinner of baked lemon garlic chicken with couscous. The bird was a really excellent kosher bird, and dinner was fantastic. There were no leftovers. As I started cleaning up. I found myself standing at the stove, picking the browned chicken bits from the baking pan, mindlessly licking delicious lemony, garlicky schmaltz from my fingers. I hate doing dishes with a violent passion, but tonight, I didn't mind so much.

While I am not Jewish, and have rarely been referred to as kosher, I'm all about some schmaltz! I'd almost pass on the main dish for dibs on a crusty roll and exclusive rights to the pan.

I don't mind cleaning, assuming that I have a dishwasher for most items. My nemesis is ironing - I'll do anything except that. I hate ironing . . .

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't mind cleaning, assuming that I have a dishwasher for most items. My nemesis is ironing - I'll do anything except that. I hate ironing . . .

This is the Mess Hall . . .not the Haberdashery. My 2 cents in the wrong forum for it is that perma press comes out of the dryer a bit wrinkly. Yeah you hate ironing but I bet you do it when going for an interview.

Top Bottom