What's new

Linen vs Hemp vs Felt vs Etc.

Looked at the local Ace Hardware, a tack shop, and online. I expected that a 3" D-ring or triangle would be easy, but wrong-o. 2" isn't too hard to find, but my googlefu has failed me on 3"

MB

Just taper the end of the linen down to two inches

I second the advice to try a tack shop. Maybe even Tractor Supply Co. store. Look around the hitching pins, etc. there are things that could very well work until you get exactly what you want. Or maybe call an artesian strop maker.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
don't know if this will help but upholstery supply stores have hemp, jute & linen webbing and all the stuff to make strops rings, rivets, leather, ect.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You can buy artist's linen stretched on frames from art shops. They aren't cheap, but has anyone tried these?

Cheers, Steve

You can buy artist's linen stretched on frames from art shops. They aren't cheap, but has anyone tried these?

Cheers, Steve

That's a great idea! I'm sure if you tell some place like Michael's or A.C. Moore not to mount it they'll sell you raw cloth.

if you cant find any 3 inch d rings I can make you a couple. I may have a piece of stainless 3/16 rod left. would have to ship cause I am in sc. I make a few custom knives and use the stainless for pins.

Steve56

OK, I finally got to the end of town where Jerry's Artarama is. I picked up a 8x10 Belgian linen board and a 11x14 Belgian linen stretched on a frame. The finish looks pretty good and I'll give a report after I hone something up. The plan is to use the 8x10 board as a paddle strop, and to possibly remove the 11x14 linen from the frame and contact cement it to an old leather strop that's damaged on the stropping side to make a hanging strop, though I'll try it as-is first.

Anyone got any other ideas? BTW the total cost was about $20 for both. These were the finest finish they had, and there were coarser ones.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1437.jpg
    $IMG_1437.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 101

Steve56

The linen is primed on the front - white - side, so I removed the large linen from the frame because it is unprimed natural brown linen on the back. Then used contact cement to glue it to the backside of an old abused strop. The results look and feel very promising. It's a fine weave natural linen, considerably finer than the Herald component which I thought knocked my HHT down a little. I may test it later tonight or tomorrow after a day's dry time.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1440.jpg
    $IMG_1440.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 99
The plan is to use the 8x10 board as a paddle strop

Be mindful of the board mount. Most of them I have seen do not remain terribly flat after a few years. But that also might be because of the application of paint. I've never observed one that was just "left alone" over time.

The piece glued to the strop looks great. Hope it holds up. If so, then you've discovered a new technique!!

Which we'll all promptly steal but give you full credit. Unless you try to patent it. Then we'll all lie like rugs and say we thought of it first. :w00t:

Last edited:

Steve56

It should hold up fine, if not I'm out all of about $6. But there was a thread about the Red Imp strop being like a tube sock with a stiffener inside, the linen was not sufficient by itself. So the use of thinner linen is not unprecedented it would seem.

i re-honed a Gold Dollar and tried it out, it produced results similar to my Kanayama canvas which I like very much. I did get a tiny bit of pilling and ran my 325 DMT over it lightly and that seemed to remove the pills. I think that with a little break-in, it will be a good linen component.

Cheers, Steve

For those of us who haven't yet nicked a leather strop, I wonder if one could contact cement the linen to poster board or something. Well obviously "or something" would work fantastic, but what is it?

I just slipped a thin (.011") piece of poster board into this homemade linen strop and it worked great! No Glue! This strop was performing well but had started cupping. The poster board cured it.
attachment.php

Last edited:
to give rigidity to canvas material go to walmart ,joans etc and buy their 17x5 yards bulk heat and bond.play with that awhile, i'll bet you will like the results.[emoji4]

Top Bottom