What's new

Bar soap rash

I switched to bar soap about a month ago, maybe 6 weeks. I tried the Yardley and it gave me a rash in a "sensitive area". I stopped using it, and have used 2 different soaps since, but it won't go away. Anyone ever had this issue? How did you get rid of it? I've tried moisturizer and A&D ointment.

If possible, you should see a doctor as a rash in any "sensitive area" is no fun whatsoever. If it's new and never happened before, it may just be a case of contact dermatitis (aka skin reaction to something in the soap). I have eczema and when rashes occur, I use Cetaphil cream, but it sometimes takes a week or more for the rash to start to go away. If that doesn't work, I have to use a prescription steroid cream.

I think it'd be best for you to see a doctor to be sure you get the best diagnosis.

+1 on getting a medical opinion. I had ring worm a few years ago. I originally put it down to a change in soap. It wasn't!

I had this (armpits), and I resolved it by getting soap without any SLS (sodium laurel sulfates) or anything similar. I use Lever 2000 now and I have had no problems. It wasn't something that I used to have a sensitivity to, but I developed it in the last year or so. So that could be it. However, I would definitely check with your PCP or dermatologist.

I also had this problem. I started using quite a few different products when I started wet shaving a short while ago. My normally oily skin became terribly dry and itchy. I reverted to my old standby products except the cartridge razors then incorporated one new product at a time to determine the irritant. Apparently I am allergic to sandalwood and a few other fragrance additives. I would recommend you try the same process. In the meantime, moisturizer and cortisone anti-itch cream should offer some relief. I hope this helps and I feel your pain. Good luck.

I agree with the advice to get a medical opinion. Yardley is my go to for when I have rashes and irritiations. Because of where you've got it, I'd have it looked at. The soap and the rash could be coincidental or if not, you want that rash taken care of ASAP and so far what you've tried OTC hasn't worked. You may need prescription strenght.

A powder might help. Baby powder or monkey butt ect. Put it on after your dry from the shower...
I use it when I'm chaffing from swamp butt/croch.
Did this happen after a long day of walkin/running and being somewhat sweaty? I'm just askin, because it could be a rash or chaffing...
I do agree on seeing a doc if it persists any longer!

As far as soaps,
I dont have the most sensitive skin in the world, but commercial soaps turn me into an alligator.
I've switched to a small town's hand made soap now. I never thought I would be loyal to a soap maker, but first time use I was hooked. You don't really need a soap that's gonna kill 99.99% of germs... It's just over kill that takes it out on your skin...
I shower, wash my hair, and shave with her soaps...
Any kind of scent you could want, for different skin types, and job specific soaps (anti-greaser, anti-fish for fisherman, even hunting.)

Last edited:
Thanks gents. Lotion and A&D is slowly taking care of it. I think I just dried out too much by switching to bar soap. I'm going to go back to body wash and see what happens. I've had issues with dry skin in the past from certain soaps too, so I'm not concerned enough to see a doctor about it. SWMBO tried using the Yardley also and it dried her skin out quite a bit as well.

It went away when I got rid of the bar soap. It just dried my skin out to much I guess. I picked up some aveeno body wash that is pretty nice.

Right after switching to DE shaving I tried bar soaps again, and had the same issue. Ogallala bay rum bar soap made my arms all pimply...not a good thing. i may have an issue with lye though. Been using a $4 bar of Dead Sea Salt soap & have had zero issues. I may finally be off the gel, which saves $$$.

+1 on the Dead Sea Salt soaps. Excellent value and the bar lasts a long time. Works great for me as I too have issues related to drying/itching with some soaps. Beats peeing away all that money on shower gels.

Top Bottom