What's new

*Another* DE Shave Journal

Shave #13

Prep: Same
Soap: Same
Razor: AS-D2 1st pass; RRSS(P) 2nd pass; AS-D2 3rd pass; both for cleanup

Overall:
Feather performed well as I had anticipated for the first pass. I have modified the 1st pass to be a hybrid WTG/XTG pass.
RRSS(P) did fair on the 2nd pass, but was the cause of a small bit of irritation on lower neck area. I am still catching this thing at an angle that seems like it wants to bite, but is muzzled enough to just gnaw a little and cause irritation. Very Strange. I may need to dedicate some time reviewing and researching again to ensure that the blade is set right and my angle and technique is on point.
Med Prep was starting to show signs of loosing it's smoothness, but still performed.

Shave #14

Soap: Tabac & G12
Brush: Restored EverReady 52C with Shavemac D01 20mm/48mm loft knot
Razor: AS-D2 & Med Prep (4)

Overall:
Shave went very well. I did a XTG first pass. ATG second pass. Modified cleanup pass for the third. XTG/WTG neck trouble spots. ATG/WTG cheeks, lip, chin. XTG/ATG jaw line & under chin. Results were DFS + above jaw line and under chin. DFS neck area. No irritation. Med Prep has just about served its purpose. Felt just a smidgeon less smooth. I could probably get a few more decent shaves if I had removed and stropped the blade (as I have done in the past), but ultimately decided to leave the blade in the razors for the duration of the blade use.

Shave #15

Prep: None
Soap: Dapper Dragon - Dapper Dragon
Brush: WD Synthetic
Hand Lather
Razor: AS-D2 Med Prep (5)

Overall:
This would be a back-to-back shave, so I really didn't try for anything at all. I actually was just *play* lathering the Dapper Dragon as I haven't shaved with it yet. Decided to run it on the face and was thinking about a fellow who stated that he does a one pass WTG shave 5 days a week, so I decided what would a single pass hurt? So 1st pass WTG was just ok. Left some splotchy patches, so a 2nd pass was in order. I did a short 2nd pass just focusing on cleaning up the chin & jaw line area where spots were a bit splotchy. End result was SAS shave. I could have done a 2nd pass ATG jaw line and above and would have gotten a DFS. Below the jaw line on neck area was a one shot deal as I did not want to risk irritation. I also didn't dial the lather in + no prep = bad results and irritation if I try and push it. All in all ~ I won't be clean shaven for church in the morning, but I won't look like a bum either. Just a little play time. My son came into the bathroom as I was finishing up. He will be 3 in a few months and he is well acquainted with Daddy's Soaps and brushes. He also knows that he gets to have fun time with the synthetic brush, so he quickly had the brush in hand and proceeded to lather his entire body while using the potty.

So shave time was over, but bath time was great as I got to spend some quality time with my son and let him have lots of soap and play time. I enjoy letting him play with my shave soap lather as it gives me opportunity to lather more product and I find that his skin is much smoother and softer when he finishes his bath with shave soap play. A good reminder that although Sunday is Father's Day; every day I am still a father and each action that I take will create lasting memories and impressions on my little one which in turn will mold him into the man he will one day soon become.

Happy Father's day to all out there.

Shave #16

Brush: EverReady & G12
Razor: Feather AS-D2 & Feather; Standard Razor Raw & Gillette Silver Blue (GSB)
Soap: Dapper Dragon - Dapper Dragon

Overall:
Prep was good. Beard growth was a day or so longer than normal. I didn't quite have the Dapper Dragon dialed in, but decided to venture a first pass with the AS-D2 & GSB combo. Two strokes later I understood that this razor/blade combo wasn't going to cut it (quite literally!). I changed the GSB out for a Feather and knew that the right decision had been made. The remainder of the first pass went well. I have changed my first pass to a modified XTG / WTG (Neck). Since I had the GSB out already and have been thinking of the Standard Razor lately... The pairing was made for my 2nd pass; a modified ATG/XTG (Neck) pass. The pass went well and the lather started getting dialed in quite nicely. Third pass - lather was spot on and pass was done with Feather/Feather combo. Fantastic finish for a true BBS shave.... The catch?! The lather did such a good job of cushion and glide that I thought that I could get away with over pressure and poor technique. I knew that I was being a bit careless, but the lather kept me from feeling the damage being done until it was too late. End result was a fantastic BBS shave all over! with irritation below the jaw line and at the intersecting area of the corner of my mouth and jaw line (just outside of the chin area proper). A few days and all will be well. The shave should last about as long, so lesson learned.
Dapper Dragon - Really good stuff!
Feather/Feather - Really good stuff!
Standard Razor / GSB - First shot ~ good stuff. I'll give 'er a go with the first pass next shave to see how she does.

SHAVE #17

Brush: Semogue SOC Boar & G12
Razor: AS-D2 Feather (2); Standard Razor Raw GSB (2)
Soap: Dapper Dragon

The Run-Down:
2 pass shave tonight to keep the irritation to a minimum. I also need to shave on Sunday night, so I didn't want to over do it.

1st Pass: AS-D2. A modified XTG pass that took the stubble down really well.
2nd Pass: Raw. A modified ATG pass that left me with a Close Shave and a hint of irritation from the last shave. I normally take about a week to recover from razor burn given that subsequent shaves are done with good technique.

There was zero burn from the alum and witch hazel. There was quite a bit of burn from the Nivea Sensitive ASB? I think that there may be something in the Dapper Dragon that is irritating my skin? Or perhaps having a reaction to something in the ASB? I am really perplexed as I thought that last shave was because of razor burn, but I am at a loss with this one. I've never had any issues in the past 4 months or so while using Nivea ASB, so I'm leaning towards the soap. I had a slight burn sensation the first time I used MWF, but that quickly went away after 2 uses, but did not cause any reaction with alum, witch hazel, nor ASB. If I am sensitive to something in the Dapper Dragon, then I will be disappointed as I find that it is a really top notch performer with great scent. I will contact the maker to see if he has any suggestions.

Shave #18

Prep: same
Brush: EverReady D01 & G12
Razor: AS-D2/Feather (3); Raw/GSB (3)
Soap: Dapper Dragon - Blood Orange

Overview:
2-Pass XTG/ATG - AS-D2 1st Pass ; Raw 2nd Pass
Both passes went well. I spent a bit of time with the Raw cleaning up and applied a touch too much pressure with the AS-D2. Overall a DFS with very little irritation ~ Essentially an irritation free shave for me. I will have to follow up with the Dapper Dragon about being sensitive to it. I tried a test on my arms per the maker's suggestion (whom was prompt to respond and interested in my case). The test did not reveal any adverse reaction on my arms, only a subtle burning sensation on the face. One thing to note is that there really wasn't any reaction with the Nivea ASB, but there was a definite burn during the shave that was reminiscent of Mitchell's Wool Fat first few shaves. I have one more idea to test before the Dapper Dragon is reserved for my wife's use only. Details to be revealed next shave.

For those who may or may not be reading along...
I have jumped over into the world of straights.

You may follow along here.

Wow! has it really been two months since my last all DE shave? Seems like it wasn't that long ago.

At any rate. I have really been enjoying getting to know about straights a bit. I have been doing a single pass with the straight and a finish pass with DE. I have all but stopped using any of my DE's except the AS-D2, which I've found to be outstanding. One in a while I will reach for the Standard Razor is I feel that the AS-D2 is being temperamental and not getting close enough, but that is rare.

Last night's all DE shave:

Prep: Proraso Green Pre - generous rub on wet face.
Brush: EverReady Restore - D01-3band 20/46 & G12
Razor: AS-D2 & Med Prep (2)
Soap: Saint Charles Shave - Fairway

Shave was "quick" 2 passes with a little buffing. First pass went well, but got a weeper on the chin for excessive buffing. Second pass slowed down a hair and focused on angles and pressure. Finished with warm water rinse & alum. Followed with cold water rinse and pat dry. Finally a good spritzing of Fine Platinum and I was all set for a DFS+ shave. Kind of made me start thinking about alternating shaves with straights and DE, but the straights were calling to me a bit during the shave. I will say that it is comforting to be able to come back and know that I can get a quick DE shave in that is close and comfortable for those instances when I am pressed for time.

Until then... I'm back of to the straight and harrow.

Hmm.

back again

Doing a soap box pass around and wanted to give the soaps fair play against de , not a straight.

Prep. None
Brush: WD Synthetic
Razor: AS-D2 Med Prep (1)
Soap: Martin de Candre

Lather: This soap wasn't as easy to lather as I had expected and the lather did not blow me away like I was expecting. It had good cushion, but the slickness was lacking a little for me. What was very nice was the scent, especially during lather and shave as it developed quite a bit. The best part was how well it paired with Fine Fresh Vetiver. I absolutely loved the pairing and might just purchase it for that combo alone.

The shave went well for a DFS.

Another shave tonight to test out a soap

Prep. none
Brush: Semogue SOC Bristle & G12 scuttle
Razor: AS-D2 & Med Prep (2)
Soap: Strop Shoppe Peppermint

Lather was good, but again not to the level that I was hoping for. The cushion was good, but slickness was not there for me. I really wanted to like this one, but it was a miss tonight. Finished with Snake Bite & Italian Citrus AS from Fine Accoutrements.

Really like the menthol in the Fine AS. Left with a DFS- shave as there was a little irritation on lower left neck and left side of face is not as smooth as I would like. Especially cheek as I expect a BBS or close on that area.

Test Shave #2 with Martin de Candre

Prep: None
Brush: EverReady 52c Shavemac D01-3band flat top knot 20/44
Bowl: Georgetwon G12 Scuttle
Razor: AS-D2 & Standard Razors Black both with new Feather blades
Soap: Martin de Candre

Lather was better this time than the first time around. First pass left me with a few weepers, so I hit up the proraso preshave green before the second lather. I also applied styptic to the weepers to shut them up. Second pass and clean up pass went quite well. i pushed things a bit to see how the MdC did with slightly poor technique (a little pressure & a little aggressive buffing). The soap performed very admirably and I was left BBS everywhere except just under chin and left neck line & right lower neck. These areas wer DFS+. A good sting from alum post shave, but no irritation.

I would own this soap, but probably wouldn't pay full price if I could find it lightly used elsewhere. It will compete with the soaps in my shave den, but not dethrone them. Perhaps with more use it could be in my top three.

Finished up with Fine Fresh Vetiver and Snake Bite (ran out of Fresh Vetiver).

Figured I might double log my shaves as I am using both DE and Straight for shaving.

Prep: Proraso Green Pre Shave; lather and hot towel ~ 2min
Soap: Saint Charles Shave - Fairway {Sample} Really like this soap.
Brush: EverReady 52c Shavemac D01 20/46 Flat
Razors: Straights - ERN & Gloriawerks DE - Standard Razor Raw & AS-D2

Lather was excellent. First pass was good, but not great. grabbed the SR-Raw for the Second Pass which went smoothly. Used the AS-D2 for a finisher as I didn't want the last pass to be made with an "aggressive" razor.

Overall BBS above jawline and DFS below jawline.

Alum & Witchazel for finish. Cold water rinse & Fine AS (One Spritz Italian Citrus & Good dose of Clean Vetiver)

Did not log last shave, but it was horrendous! I haven't shaved for 4~5 days because I was sure that my face needed recovery. I actually wanted to go another day before shaving, but I could handle the scruffy, scraggly look no longer.

Prep: Proraso Green Preshave
Soap: C&S 88
Brush: Eveready & G12 scuttle
Razors: Gloriawerks & Razorock Stealth Slant & Feather (New)

Lather was perfect and slick and full of cushion! The first pass was with the Straight and went well. Two small weepers (left neck and under lower lip).
2nd and 3rd passes were with the RRSS(P). The second pass went so well that I was unsure if I even had the razor making contact. Beautiful. The 3rd pass I applied a bit too much pressure and was a wee bit aggressive and ended up with a little burn lower neck trouble spots.

Overall BBS above jaw line. DFS below jaw line. 2 minor weepers & a little burn. Not too bad as I was really concerned about this shave as no matter what, if there was irritation last shave, then it will return this shave.

Sidenote: Don't know if it was pure luck or not, but the Slant performed magnificently tonight. Much better than my previous experience. I think I'll bring it back into the rotation.

Prep: Pro-Green & Hot towel ~2min
Soap: Jabonman YlangYlang Patchouli Naranja
Brush: M&F 2XL Gel Tip
Razors: Gloriawerks & RRSS(P) Feather (2)

Face Lathered to get the M&F back into rotation as it has been sorely neglected for some time. Lather was very nice and face lathering is something that I don't often do, so that was a bit of a treat as well.
2nd pass + a little buffing with the RRSS(P). My face started to feel irritated, so I did a quick 2nd pass and a little buffing around the chin. DFS above jawline. Stopped short on my routine for the neck, so just SAS below jawline. Interesting note: Trouble side left is quite smooth and borderline DFS, but right side can still feel stubble - Feeling neglected.

Overall happy to have will power to stop before irritating the face as even a little irritation lasts for a long time for me. Stealth Slant wasn't quite as smooth tonight.... Hmmm. Maybe it was the lather?

Prep: Pro-Green-Pre; lather; hot towel 3-min.
Razors: ERN; AS-D2 Feather (2)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: M&F 2XL gel tip _ face lather
Strop: None

Lathered up and decided to keep things short as I still want to prevent any irritation for a while to make sure the face is good and healed. Single pass on cheeks and jawline with the straight. Did a little extra around the chin and jawline, but nothing major. Single pass with the AS-D2 XTG / ATG and very little touch-up as I was going for irritation free.

Post shave: Cold water rinse, alum , Cold water rinse, pat dry, dash of Witch Hazel and Nivea Sensitive ASB.

Ended up with a CCS. The upper lip noticed just a touch of red dots, which should be gone by morning. The edge of the ERN didn't feel quite right, so I did a post shave inspection.

Prep: Pro green, lather, hot towel 2min
Razors: ERN; AS-D2 Feather (3)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: M&F 2XL gel tip _ face lather

Great lather. Ran into problems with the Straight, so fell back to 2 passes with the AS-D2 for a DFS. Some slight irritation lower neck area.

Prep: ProGreen; lather; hot towel 3min
Razor: ASD2 Feather (1)
Soap: C&S 88
Brush: Semogue SOC G12 Scuttle

Lather was swell, but perhaps I need to work a little more water into it. The shave was a bit early, but have meetings in the morning and didn't want to look scruffy. Did a 2 pass shave to try and avoid irritation. My shaving mojo has left the bldg and even doing a careful 2 pass I still only achieved SAS below jaw line with some irritation. DFS above the jaw.

Alum, Nivea ASB, Witch Hazel. Shower then some Fine Snake Bite afterwards.... Time to reflect on my shaving and try and shoot some holes in it to see if I can get past the irritation that has plagued me. I have at times thought about going back to carts recently since I haven't had irritation on a consistent basis like this since I left carts....

Got the shaving blues...

Prep: ProGreen; lather; hot towel 3min
Razors: Gloriawerks; AS-D2 Feather (2)
Soap: Jabonman - Ylang Ylang Patchouli Naranja
Brush: Whipped Dog Synthetic
Strop: ~20 laps clean leather

Fantastic lather! The hot towel was nice and hot for the prep for a change, so that was nice. Was a little nervous about the straight razor since I have been lax in my straight shaving recently. First pass went quite well, although the last stroke on my right lower neck was a bit harsh. Fortunately no harm came as a result.
Followed up with a XTG/ATG pass and some touch-up with the AS-D2.

The results: BBS on cheeks and very DFS+ on jawline and neck. Some ghost redness on lower neck and upper lip, but doesn't feel irritated. I will check in the morning to make sure it isn't "sleeper" irritation.

Alum, Witch hazel, shower, Fine Fresh Vetiver & a smile!

Prep: ProGReen; lather; hot towel; 3min
Razors: Gloriawerks; AS-D2 Feather (3)
Soap: Jabonman
Brush: M&F 2XL
Strop: 35 laps clean leather - pre shave

Lather was once again quite nice. Towel was properly hot, so again quite nice. The Gloriawerks has shown true character and has provided a solid shave once again.
Did a follow-up XTG/ATG pass with the AS-D2. BBS above jawline, DFS below with just the tiny weeper and cat scratch to account for. Another rewarding shave!

Finished with alum & witch hazel, shower, Fine Snake Bite with a dash of L'Orange.

Prep: same
Razors: Gloriawerks, AS-D2 feather (4)
Soap: WSO GIT
Brush: EverReady & G12
Strop: ~35 pre on clean leather with as light of a touch as possible whilst keeping the spine & edge in contact.

Lather was good, but not quite as good as I remember. I'll probably use it for a week or so to dial this one back in. The first pass with the straight was very nice. I adjusted the angle of approach with the straight to 2 spine widths off of the cheek resulting in a nice comfortable shave.
Pass 2 was with the AS-D2 and went quickly. A third light touch-up pass to ensure BBS on cheeks and all was well.

All told a re-opened cat scratch, tragus nick and chin nick. BBS above the jawline and very, very close to BBS below the jawline. No irritation with just a few nicks. Sweet, sweet shaving!

Cold water rinse, alum, cold water rinse, Fine Italian Citrus and I feel great!

Top Bottom