What's new

Minneapolis Shopping

Hello everyone,

I'm heading to Minneapolis for a few days; any recommendations as to places to check out shopping wise?

Bonus points for any restaurant recommendations as well!

The place for shaving supplies is Garden of Eden on Grand avenue in St. Paul. I found a puck of Pre de Provence there. PdP balm too. In the same cluster of shops there's a Gents barber shop that sells de razors and software. I think soon there will be a real shaving store in the Twin Cities.

BTW... Brits pub is great in Mpls. Rooftop dining if the weather is good, lawn bowling up there on perfectly manicured grass. Murray's for steak, Oceanaire for seafood. Psycho Suzie's for a bizarre atmosphere tiki bar and pretty fair pizza on the Mississippi River.

Make it Manny's for steak - dry aged prime, can't be surpassed.
The best mens store is on the St Paul side of the river - Heime's Haberdashery. If you are looking for a true men's store, this would be your stop. Worth the cab ride from Mpls.

Def check out Heimes, and while you're in the neighborhood, stop by the Marvy supply store. Tons of bottles of aftershave, those rubber mugs, and similar stuff.

Food, we have a ton of it. Everything Terp said is a great choice. Mannys is the place for steak. I just had Fogo de Chao recently and it was a blast (Brazilian buffet, look it up if you like meat).

Good timing too!

Edina, a city bordering southwest Minneapolis, is a shopper's paradise....
proxy.php
The attractive 50th and France shopping district, centered on the intersection of 50th Street and France Avenue, is packed with upscale independent stores, restaurants and bars.

Hubert White downtown carries Oxxford, Isaia, Eton, Luciano Barberra, Barbour, etc. And the sales guys actually know what they're talking about.

Lots of good suggestions have already been made.

If you want food you just can't get anyplace, check out 112 Eatery, Bar La Grassa, Lucia's, Sapor, Luci's, if you go to Heime's, check out Meritage or The Strip Club (just a steak place, but a really good one) or Erte (a steakplace in "nordeast"), or Bachelor Farmer. There's also Monte Carlo with a cool men's store across the street (I always forget the name, but I think it's Martin Patrick) . Or you can go to the Fulton Tap Room and eat off whatever food truck is parked in their lot that day--they don't serve food, but there's often a food truck there, or you can bring in pizza from Black Sheep nearby.

Bachelor Farmer is fun. There's a higher end BBQ place downtown (the name escapes me) that is also very cool. I had a great meal at a place called Heidi's.

Don't forget we have Marvy's Barbershop supplies here in St. Paul, you know the place that makes barbershop poles.

Their shaving supplies are somewhat eclectic and very different form what you'll find anywhere else, they have a huge selection of after shaves, a few razors, and a lot of clippers and other barber supplies. Sometimes you'll find a gem as well, A few years back I bought a number of feather travel kits and a few Gillette Techs NIB. It was pretty cool.

I'll also plus one on Mall of America, if you've never been there, it's a trip. Nordstroms is pretty cool as well.

Heimies is also a very awesome place to visit, it also has a barbershop that quite good.

I'm going to recommend Murray's as I haven't been to Manny's yet, though I do plan on trying it some time. Murray's is just so good I haven't been tempted to try elsewhere yet.

If you're looking for the absolute best in cuisine for Minneapolis though I'd recommend La Belle Vie It has the best cocktails, best tasting menu etc in the area, and IMO probably in the upper Midwest. Mind you it'll cost a lot, but if you want a food experience that will leave you talking for a while go there.

If you have a rental car, it might pay to take a trip to Red Wing and visit the factory store there, it's pretty neat and they have reasonable prices for Red Wings.

Don't forget we have Marvy's Barbershop supplies here in St. Paul, you know the place that makes barbershop poles.

Their shaving supplies are somewhat eclectic and very different form what you'll find anywhere else, they have a huge selection of after shaves, a few razors, and a lot of clippers and other barber supplies. Sometimes you'll find a gem as well, A few years back I bought a number of feather travel kits and a few Gillette Techs NIB. It was pretty cool.

I'll also plus one on Mall of America, if you've never been there, it's a trip. Nordstroms is pretty cool as well.

Heimies is also a very awesome place to visit, it also has a barbershop that quite good.

I'm going to recommend Murray's as I haven't been to Manny's yet, though I do plan on trying it some time. Murray's is just so good I haven't been tempted to try elsewhere yet.

If you're looking for the absolute best in cuisine for Minneapolis though I'd recommend La Belle Vie It has the best cocktails, best tasting menu etc in the area, and IMO probably in the upper Midwest. Mind you it'll cost a lot, but if you want a food experience that will leave you talking for a while go there.

If you have a rental car, it might pay to take a trip to Red Wing and visit the factory store there, it's pretty neat and they have reasonable prices for Red Wings.

Great catch on the Red Wing Store and manufacturing facility!!! As I read your note I remembered this is the Haberdashery - OF CPURSE HE WANTS TO VISIT THE HOLY GRAIL OF MN FOOTWEAR!!!!! A worthwhile pit stop!

Thank you to everyone who has replied! By the looks of things MoA, Heimes, and the Marvy supply store are definitely on my list. The Batchelor farmer is also looking like a good place for a bite. And as for Black Sheep: Pizza is always a plus!

I'm a big fan of Black Sheep, but you should realize it's not your common, run of the mill pizza. They have a coal-fired oven, which gives the crust a unique taste and texture, and they don't load on the toppings like your basic Dominos, Pizza Hut, or other chain. It is delicious, though.

Top Bottom