What's new

Sorry, but I have to Ask

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Is there any corner of the web where I can find vintage stones for sale, other than EBay and Etsy? Auction, BIN, don't really care.........My HAD is raging (and my boss patted me on head and gave me a real nice bonus)......There may be Ark's and Eschers and Thuri's out there that need my love. Having recently discovered the Escher/Thuri family I'm craving more samples.

Due to advanced HAD symptoms, I've forbidden myself to touch, covet, purchase, use or fondle any stone from the Jnat family as a precaution against homelessness.......Good sensible planning there, I'd say.

I just feel like I'm missing something in my searches.....

Legion

Staff member
Vintage tool shops often sell hones and have websites. I know of one in Melbourne, but I bet there are plenty in America.

Reactions: Wid
Would go with Dan's if looking for an ark. For eschers/thuringians your best bet might might just be a WTB post (or messaging some of the rock hounds here to see what they might have)

Reactions: Wid

Legion

Staff member
Would go with Dan's if looking for an ark. For eschers/thuringians your best bet might might just be a WTB post (or messaging some of the rock hounds here to see what they might have)
Nope. Unsolicited WTB PM messaging would definitely be against the rules. Don’t do that.

A public WTB in the correct section is fine, and would be a good way to go.

I've found a couple stones on sites like mentioned... but 99% are old and inactive. and 1% have basically no clue on pricing... and usually not in a way that is good for the buyer... so while you might see a PDSO or a 5x2.5" coticule for $80... you're also going to see a lot of 4" arkansas and unlabeled Washita for $200-400.

No; the way to get stone deals in the US is the Tim method... Drive around going to fairs/markets/etc 24/7 looking in person.

If you just want stones at what they sell for without waiting for them to show up on eBay, then yeah, WTB in BST is the way to go.

Yup, you got to look. Some of my best buys have come from Antique Stores. Most have sat on a shelf for years, in the back of a dark un-lit case. If you have visited the store, you and thousands of folks have walked right by them, and they are still marked with the 1990 price tag.

Carry a small strong flashlight and a pocket magnifying glass. You will be amazed what you can find.

Flea markets, garage sales and Estate sales are also good sources, but you have to put in the miles.

Just last week I bought a Black Thuringian for $5 and a light green for $8 from an Antique Store, I paid the “asking/marked price” didn’t even ask for a discount, yes prices are often negociable…

I also bought a very clean, Little Valley razor with little spine wear, $5 and a vintage, boxed near NOS Lardy Staunton, tournament Rosewood/Boxwood chess set, $15.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I rarely travel more that 20 miles from home so my antique store choices are limited. No junk shops around anymore and the pawn shops list all their goodies on the bay. The pawn shops used to have containers of old rusty tools you could dig through...all gone.

Facebook marketplace seems to be one of the better places to find that sort of thing inexpensively in the current year, which is obnoxious as I refuse to use facebook products on principle. From what others have told me, however, your FM seller often seems to be the sort who wants some cash off the thing but is either too lazy or too ignorant to put in the effort necessary to scalp it on ebay, which can work out in favor of you, the buyer.

Top Bottom