What's new

Will need a new strop soon - Want some advice

This one is mine in 2.5 had it for about 3 years and it's had some use.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 137
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 139
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 138
OK, so my new Neil Miller strop arrived about three weeks ago. Wonderful tool & a piece of art in its own right.

$IMG_9229.JPG
$IMG_9230.JPG

3" cordovan with linen & leather components "floating in tension" against each other.

An absolute joy to use.... great sound from both linen & cordovan, glides easily & smoothly over cordovan.

And the difference to the razors is notable.....
  • My razors lasting twice as long between hones (OK - still not long - about a dozen 3 pass shaves between honings, but think that may be more my honing capability
  • Makes a big difference to my honing - the strop moves a blade from HHT1 post Coti & Balsa-Crox to HHT3 post 100/100 linen/leather stropping

Pleasantly surprised at how much impact genuine linen & decent leather have on the razor..... even though I was assured by folk like Gary that this would be the case. Makes the eye watering cost worthwhile.

I am just now getting into straights after 4 months of DE shaving. I was confused with all the strop choices, so I made a table with what seemed ot be the most popular ones. This was to help me get various lengths, etc. straightened out.

This is by no means a definitive chart and please don't make a buy decision based on it. I just thought some here might want to see it.

The list is sorted alphabetically by the name of the strop.

StropLengthWidthSecondaryHandle?Vendor
2" Leather Strop242.00NoneD-Ringstarshaving.com
3" Big Daddy243.00WoolD-Ringstarshaving.com
Illinois 127232.50LinenYesbestclippers.com
Illinois 206202.00LinenYessharpeningsupplies.com
Illinois 361242.50LinenNoWest Coast Shaving
Illinois 827232.25LinenYesbestclippers.com
Illinois 835212.25LinenYesbestclippers.com
Our Very Best283.25LinenYesstarshaving.com
ScalpMaster BS-123.52.50LinenYesbestclippers.com
Two strap262.00PolyNoWhipped Dog

Last edited:
Nice chart, but if you are hunting I would suggest many more makers. Here would be my list of favorites and some well regarded.

Tony Miller
Neil Miller
Kanayama
scruppleworks
Walkin Horse

Thanks Brian and I agree on many more makers. I should have been more explicit. I was just looking at what I thought were entry level strops for noobs like me. From what have read, there are two kinds of stoppers - those who have nicked their strops and those who will.

I was looking at entry-level strops initially and thus the chart.

Nice chart, but if you are hunting I would suggest many more makers. Here would be my list of favorites and some well regarded.

Tony Miller
Neil Miller
Kanayama
scruppleworks
Walkin Horse

Good Lord, I just got a Kanayama 90K and I can't stop looking at the pics of the Neil Miller cordovan/linen strops...engage S.A.D. It's gonna be an expensive month...

Good Lord, I just got a Kanayama 90K and I can't stop looking at the pics of the Neil Miller cordovan/linen strops...engage S.A.D. It's gonna be an expensive month...

Right there with you partner! I have an excellent selection of strops to choose from and I still keep looking!

Top Bottom