What's new

Recommend a replating service

I have utilized Krona Kruisers excellent service for a previous re-plate but his website says he is not taking razor work at this time. Can anyone recommend someone that they have used and had a good experience with? I have an adjustable slim that I would like to have replated.

Thinking of going with rhodium instead of nickel. Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons?

Thanks!
-Dweebs

For rhodium - onotoman/Restored Razors.

Many people love rhodium. I believe that it's harder than nickel. I don't know about durability, but given its popularity I suspect that it's a fine choice.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Have either of you used these guys personally? Also, I am not 100% sold on rhodium, just curious about it. The razor that Krona Kruiser did for me was nickel and it looks great.

I haven't personally used either but I can say that communication with nocutsnonicksnoweepers has been stellar. He is thorough and descriptive in his responses and from the looks of the pictures I've seen of his work that attention to detail is carried over. I'm fortunate enough to live local to him so I'm actually meeting up with him this week to look at some stuff to get done.

I've worked with all 3 of these fine folks and will, unhesitatingly, send my precious razors to any of them in the future. For Nickel plating in the States, go with nocutsnonicks.....(Chris). For Rhodium, gold, chrome, etc., (or nickel) go with restoredrazors.com(Dave) in the UK. You have more expensive shipping with Dave and the longer shipping time both ways, but his work is tops.

You can't go wrong with any of these guys. Hopefully, Krona (Sam) will be able to resume his fine work soon.

I have a razor with nocutsnonicksnoweepers right now. It is in kind of ruff shape right now, so I don't expect it to be perfect. He is very prompt in all of his replies and the pictures of his work look outstanding. He currently only does nickle re-plating. I have another razor, that I am going to have re-plated in rhodium, that I intend to send over to Restored Razors in England. All of the reviews I have read of his work have been outstanding. I have not sent that razor yet because I am waiting for another razor to arrive that I might want re-plated in rhodium also. They are both Aristocrats so rhodium was the original finish.

I got a fatboy redone by Chris(nonicksnocutsnoweepers) and his customer service is stellar. I am still waiting to receive my razor as apparantly usps is slow as old heck shipping north of the border, but Chris kept me updated on the progress of my replate, even sending me pictures of the condition it was in when he got it and after it was stripped and then after the replate. The finished product was so well done I think I teared up a bit when I got the email, and now I am hoping I get a present in the mail this week. All all I can truthfully say that Chris is a top notch guy who does top notch work with exceptional customer service.

Justin

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I've worked with all 3 of these fine folks and will, unhesitatingly, send my precious razors to any of them in the future. For Nickel plating in the States, go with nocutsnonicks.....(Chris). For Rhodium, gold, chrome, etc., (or nickel) go with restoredrazors.com(Dave) in the UK. You have more expensive shipping with Dave and the longer shipping time both ways, but his work is tops.

You can't go wrong with any of these guys. Hopefully, Krona (Sam) will be able to resume his fine work soon.
Restoredrazors.com, Dave Onotoman's website has info on various plating materials:
1. Go to restoredrazors website
2. Bottom of page under "extras" select "restored razors blog"
3. To the right see "recent posts"
4. Select "hardness of various plating materials"
Excellent information!
BTW. Dave uses nickel plating as a base before any other material unless you want nickel only.

I know this may sound like a dumb question but did anyone have a rough estimate on a nickle job? I mean is it like 30 bucks or 150?

Dave (restoredrazors.com) has prices on his website. Contact Chris(B&B ID = nonicksnocutsnoweepers) and ask him. Be sure to include your cost for shipping TO the restorer and for return shipping.

Thanks again, fellas, I PM'd Chris about replating my slim. I think nickel will be awesome for this razor.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I know this may sound like a dumb question but did anyone have a rough estimate on a nickle job? I mean is it like 30 bucks or 150?

Very close to $35 for nickel. Here's a President I sent Chris that was pretty messed up and he did a superb nickel job. My pic is rather poor but the plating is even and so shiny it pretty much mimics the rhodium. Any variation in color on the handle is my lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! okay I am feeling like a definitely made the right choice going with Chris and the nickel plating. Thanks for the pictures. That really brought it home for me.

Top Bottom