What's new

Recommend a replating service

Wow you got me thinking now, I thought I was done for a while acquiring razors. Now I am watching a handful of razors on eBay that are in dire need of replating, you got me interested in the rhodium plating. May I suggest www.razoremporium.com for rhodium, 75 bucks

B&B Community,

I promise that I will not be the third razor replating hobbyist to take a break from the business.

With the untimely (and hopefully temporary) sabbaticals of two of the most respected replating artisans in the shaving community (Sam & Dave), there was a void that needed to be filled. It seems that, since I am the only member currently offering razor replating services, it is time for me to step up and fill the replating needs and desires of vintage razor enthusiasts.

I have intently listened to the requests of my customers and the B&B membership in general. I have carefully read the forum to monitor the situation. Over the past couple of weeks, it seems like everyone kept saying "......if Chris only offered a finish other than nickel".

Well, my friends, that time is here!

I am happy to announce that I will begin offering RHODIUM and GOLD replating (in addition to my nickel plating).

The overwhelming support from the B&B community has given me the confidence to make this decision. This took deliberate planning and a sizeable financial outlay on my part. I have ordered new laboratory equipment, precious metals and related chemical supplies in order to offer these services. Thanks to all of you for making it possible for me to expand my offerings to better serve your needs.

Please look for more detailed information in a forthcoming post on the Hobbyist/Vendor Classifieds. I will give specifics as soon as I receive expected material delivery dates from my supplier and word from my IT guy that my soon-to-be-active website, razorplate.com, is ready to go live.

Regards,

Chris

The temptation to say, "Help us, Obi-Wan Chris, you're our only hope!" is strong. :001_tt2:

I am delighted to hear that you will be replating in gold. Many others no doubt feel similarly regarding rhodium. May you have as much business as you want and need, but not too much!

Regarding various other replaters scattered across the USA, I like to hear about other people's experiences if available. There is at least one replater in the US where I have read numerous horror stories. One has a "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau. The only "F" I have ever seen from the BBB, by the way. I see no reason to use a replater with a highly questionable reputation when there are other replaters with a good or excellent reputation (onotoman, Krona Kruiser, and nocutsnonicksnoweepers).

Chris - I do wish that your username wasn't such a pain to type! :001_tt2: Couldn't you have picked "Nocuts"?! Or, better yet, the symbol "N"? The replater formerly known as "N" . . .

Isn't that the truth!

When I came up with my user name, it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the old shaving mantra of "No Cuts - No Nicks - No Weepers".

It seemed like a funny idea until the first time I had to log-in to the website on anything other than my normal computer! After realizing that, I guess it was too late! Believe me, I have "registrant's remorse" every time I think about what I thought was a good idea at the time!

Any mods wanna help me legally emancipate myself from this monstrosity of a user name????

Hopefully, when my website goes live within the next few weeks, its simple name will help all of us to forget my foolishness when I registered here!

Isn't that the truth!

When I came up with my user name, it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the old shaving mantra of "No Cuts - No Nicks - No Weepers".

It seemed like a funny idea until the first time I had to log-in to the website on anything other than my normal computer! After realizing that, I guess it was too late! Believe me, I have "registrant's remorse" every time I think about what I thought was a good idea at the time!

Any mods wanna help me legally emancipate myself from this monstrosity of a user name????

Hopefully, when my website goes live within the next few weeks, its simple name will help all of us to forget my foolishness when I registered here!
Chris, since your nickname is Doc, why not Doc. It is not taken as of this time http://badgerandblade.com/vb/memberlist.php?page=71&pp=30&order=asc&sort=username&ltr=D

Last edited:
Congrats, Chris. I am saving up 3-4 razors to send to you. That's really great about the rhodium and gold. I am sure your business has surged with the recent developments.

B&B Community,

I promise that I will not be the third razor replating hobbyist to take a break from the business.

With the untimely (and hopefully temporary) sabbaticals of two of the most respected replating artisans in the shaving community (Sam & Dave), there was a void that needed to be filled. It seems that, since I am the only member currently offering razor replating services, it is time for me to step up and fill the replating needs and desires of vintage razor enthusiasts.

I have intently listened to the requests of my customers and the B&B membership in general. I have carefully read the forum to monitor the situation. Over the past couple of weeks, it seems like everyone kept saying "......if Chris only offered a finish other than nickel".

Well, my friends, that time is here!

I am happy to announce that I will begin offering RHODIUM and GOLD replating (in addition to my nickel plating).

The overwhelming support from the B&B community has given me the confidence to make this decision. This took deliberate planning and a sizeable financial outlay on my part. I have ordered new laboratory equipment, precious metals and related chemical supplies in order to offer these services. Thanks to all of you for making it possible for me to expand my offerings to better serve your needs.

Please look for more detailed information in a forthcoming post on the Hobbyist/Vendor Classifieds. I will give specifics as soon as I receive expected material delivery dates from my supplier and word from my IT guy that my soon-to-be-active website, razorplate.com, is ready to go live.

Regards,

Chris

Wow! That is huge. You are the only game in town buddy. Congrats and thanks to you for providing the service!
I am thinking supply and demand says time to up the prices. :)

Wow! That is huge. You are the only game in town buddy. Congrats and thanks to you for providing the service!
I am thinking supply and demand says time to up the prices. :)

Really?
The prices will inevitably be higher, since rhodium and gold are much more expensive, especially rhodium.
But increasing prices just because, he will be the only replater available, at least for now?
I'm not sure how that would turn out ...

I was only joking. In reality though one can only assume that the other replaters have left the hobby because the financial rewards arent worth the work involved. I think people who do good work can command whatever price they wish and people will pay it if they want the service. I am just a new guy though, don't take that comment as argumentative or anything. I think Chris is a great guy and I hope he does very well with this.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

NO WORRIES about price gouging or inceased prices!!!

I do replating as a hobby. I do it because I enjoy it. I do it because I like to help others. Finally, I do it because it gives me a little extra pocket change to spend on razors, and other shaving-related fun-stuff.

Fortunately, I have a corporate job that provides me with a comfortable lifestyle and the ability to provide for my wife and two children. By day, I am a clinical educator/trainer for an international pharmaceutical company. I have a formal education in chemistry, physics and the life sciences. Then, I went to medical school many years ago. I have worked in the field of medicine and pharmaceutical sciences for 23 years. I have been a wet-shaver since I started as a teenager, so plating razors provides me with a fun avenue to combine my scientific training with one of my favorite hobbies!

There is absolutely NO WAY that I could make a "subsistence income" by plating razors! To provide quality work takes a serious time investment. In today's world, time = money. Additionally, high-quality laboratory supplies and precious metals are expensive. Actually, almost beyond expensive. In the US, a typical price for one gallon of 24K gold plating solution is $686. My price for 1 gram of rhodium and a pint of DI water is $80. One gram isn't much! Remember that it takes 28 grams to equal one ounce. So, one ounce of rhodium costs me over $2200. Even the nickel plating solution that I use costs $25 per quart. Then you have to factor-in sacrificial, precious metals (anodes). Rhodium plating requires titanium anodes that cost $26 for a piece that is 3" long x 2" wide and 1/16" thick! The, there is the capital equipment costs associated with laboratory DC power supplies, glassware, polishes, buffing machinery, etc.

So in a nutshell, you can see that at the prices we charge, Dave, Sam and I basically just cover our time and materials investment....with a little scratch left over to basically reinvest back into either our plating hobby.....or into the coffers of other shaving-related businesses. I can promise everyone that none of us consider replating to be the way that we financially support our families!

All of that having been said, my promise to the community is that I have NO plans to increase prices.

As a matter of fact, I have studied Dave's pricing structure for rhodium and gold plating. As a sign of respect and appreciation to both the B&B community and to Dave, I am going to offer rhodium and gold at the SAME price point that he has given us for years. No surprises to customers. No taking advantage of anyone. As a matter of fact, for CONUS customers, my services will actually net out to be less expensive due to not having to ship items back and forth across the pond! For international customers, I will honor what Krona has always so honorably done.....and that is to offer USPS First Class International shipping at my actual cost. No hidden fees or extras. Both Dave and Krona have long offered honest services at fair prices and with utter transparency when it comes to clear delineation of service fees. Rest assured that everything will remain honest and gentlemanly.

My forthcoming website will be a continually updated portal where all information regarding my services, fees, etc. will be available for all to see at any time.

Thanks again, everyone, for putting me in a position to be able to expand my services to better serve your needs. It is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Best of luck Chris. I have seen some of your work and it is outstanding. Thanks for the new offers, I am sure all the community appreciates.
Btw, I know you''re free to ask whatever price you want, I think you understood what I meant.
FWIW, now that Dave is temporarily out of business, I have no problems sending razors to you if necessary, even though I'm in Europe.

Great news! I have a couple that I'm ready to send as soon as you can do rhodium. Thanks for stepping up to fill this void.

Edgar,

I knew exactly what you meant, sir!

I simply commented because I wanted to let everyone know that at no time would I ever attempt to take advantage of my wet shaving brethren with unfair pricing - even though I may now be the only currently registered B&B Hobbyist offering this service.

All is good!

Edgar,

I knew exactly what you meant, sir!

I simply commented because I wanted to let everyone know that at no time would I ever attempt to take advantage of my wet shaving brethren with unfair pricing - even though I may now be the only currently registered B&B Hobbyist offering this service.

All is good!

Chris never doubted you and thought you would.

That's excellent news Chris. I'm new here, but have a fair amount of razors to be re-plated. Glad now we have a expanding offer from you. Keep up the good work!

Chris, since your nickname is Doc, why not Doc. It is not taken as of this time http://badgerandblade.com/vb/memberlist.php?page=71&pp=30&order=asc&sort=username&ltr=D

$oh, dont reply its ok.gif

Top Bottom