What's new

Standard Razor. Beauty or Beast?

Beauty.
I really like this razor, it's light, nimble and efficient. I've only been wet shaving for 2-3 months, but I've gotten the closest shaves I've ever had with the Standard. I think everyone should try it at least once, just to see what they think of it.

The Standard Razors are mildly aggressive, but deliver exceptionally close and efficient shaves. Maybe the color schemes and the aluminum construction throws some off, but they are high quality. I find that they are similar to a Weber Polished Razor, but much more efficient. In other words, it's an upgrade on the Weber. That's quite amazing in my opinion because like a lot of people I think the Weber Polished is one of the best razors you can get.

Wow. That's impressive. I think they look great but looks alone don't get the job done. To put them at that level, well maybe I'll take another look.

Beauty.
I really like this razor, it's light, nimble and efficient. I've only been wet shaving for 2-3 months, but I've gotten the closest shaves I've ever had with the Standard. I think everyone should try it at least once, just to see what they think of it.

That would be my take as well. Close but you don't realize it's incredibly efficient. But then there is the lack of weepers...the burn-free alcohol after shaves...the seemingly longer blade life.

Beauty. ... I think everyone should try it at least once, just to see what they think of it.

OK, I'll bite. I just bought one, even though I generally prefer heavy razors and the lack of knurling on the handle gives me pause. Will let you know what I think.

OK, I'll bite. I just bought one, even though I generally prefer heavy razors and the lack of knurling on the handle gives me pause. Will let you know what I think.
Yes, please do! I'm really curious about other people's take on this thing. I was on the verge of going back to cartridge shaving because of troubles I was having with irritation and my inability to get and keep the right angle with the razors I was using. If I hadn't gotten the Standard Razor, I probably would have. It's been sort of a transformative razor for me.:001_smile

Sadly, they seem to be out of the black ones. Not sure which I'd like more but it would be nice to have the chouce. Which do you have?

Which do you have?
I've got 2 of the "Raw" model. One for everyday use and travel, the other as a backup. I'll probably get a black one as well, once they're back in stock.
If it's any help to you, the pictures don't do the silver model justice. There's more of a metallic sheen to it than the photos show.

I have the black one.
I would gladly get another if I lost mine.
Light, very smooth feel to the face.
Doesn't slip in the hand.
Doesn't bite back.

I have no prob with the silver. I expect the anodized aluminum look and thats ok. Thinking they may be adding other colors soon.

Yes, please do! I'm really curious about other people's take on this thing. I was on the verge of going back to cartridge shaving because of troubles I was having with irritation and my inability to get and keep the right angle with the razors I was using. If I hadn't gotten the Standard Razor, I probably would have. It's been sort of a transformative razor for me.:001_smile

My Standard Razors Raw model arrived today and I had my first shave with it early this evening. It had only been about 20 hours since last night's shave, but I couldn't wait to try it. I loaded a fresh Russian Perma-Sharp and lathered up with Arko soap. Three passes produced an irritation-free BBS.

The Standard requires a shallow angle (handle pointed outwards). With a steep angle (handle pointed downwards), it won't cut at all. It was easy to find and maintain the correct angle. The light weight (47g, by my scale) makes it very maneuverable. But it's also forgiving, because the range of effective cutting angles is quite narrow. Overall, the Standard provides a nice balance of effectiveness and ease of use.

The handle is 3.6 inches (about 90mm) in length, longer than a Bulldog but shorter than a Classic (if you're familiar with those Weber handles). The finish is smooth, but the razor didn't slip even when my hand was wet and soapy. One odd feature of this three-piece razor is that the male end of the screw is on the handle, not the cap. As a result, the Standard can't be used with other handles. (I would have liked to try it with my UFO Kaiser in aircraft aluminum.)

The Standard should travel easily. Its light weight and forgiving design make it a logical choice for first-time DE users. On the other hand, it's priced higher, and shaves more aggressively, than the average entry-level DE razor.

The Standard won't replace my heftier razors with knurled handles, but I do like its effectiveness, maneuverability, and ease of use. I'll continue to shave with it and post any further impressions here.

Last edited:
The Standard Razors are mildly aggressive, but deliver exceptionally close and efficient shaves. Maybe the color schemes and the aluminum construction throws some off, but they are high quality. I find that they are similar to a Weber Polished Razor, but much more efficient. In other words, it's an upgrade on the Weber. That's quite amazing in my opinion because like a lot of people I think the Weber Polished is one of the best razors you can get.

Wow. That's impressive. I think they look great but looks alone don't get the job done. To put them at that level, well maybe I'll take another look.

Definitely more efficient than the Weber (I have the Weber DLC), but about equally forgiving. I like the Weber's heft but the shave is too mild for me, which is why I mostly use Fatips with Weber or UFO handles or the ATT Kronos H2.

Based on what you've said so far, I think I may just go ahead and get one.:)

Unfortunately, they're sold out and it will be a couple of weeks before they're back in stock, according to their April 21 blog post. The same post advises that there are a few pieces with cosmetic blemishes available at a discount:

http://standardrazors.com/blogs/news/13829805-stock-and-blemishes said:
We do have a small number of units that we pulled from our stock due to cosmetic blemishes (very minor dings and dents) that are otherwise perfectly usable units. If anyone is interested in purchasing one of these models are at a pretty steep discount, let us know (via email: [email protected]) and we'll be in touch with you shortly.

I just ran across another interesting Standard Razors blog post, called What's in a Name? This fledgling company has a slight problem: its name is "Standard Razors", plural, but people have started calling its products the Standard Razor, singular. Naturally, the company wants its growing brand recognition and good will to attach to the correct name, not some generic-sounding variant of it. So they've politely asked us to refer to its two current products as the Standard Razors Raw model and the Standard Razors Black model. Fair enough, but how do you talk generally about the one product that the company makes? Unavoidably, it's the Standard Razors razor; the latent pleonasm is baked into the company name. I got around this in my mini-review above by calling it, simply, "the Standard" (although I did edit the initial reference to conform to the company's desired nomenclature). It seems more or less inevitable that people will colloquially talk about the "Standard Raw" and the "Standard Black" (and, hopefully, the "Standard Pink", in time for Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October), "razor" being understood from the context. In the end, I don't think Standard Razors will get worked up about any of this if their products -- whatever they're called -- keep flying out the door. But it is an interesting issue for a new company that -- as they readily admit in their blog post -- asked for it when they decided on a name.

Noted ...but impossible to police. In the end, it's not so bad to have your name co-opted or conventionalized if it's for a benchmark reference. They'll only gain from it.

Top Bottom