What's new

Whipped Dog

Just ordered a Silvertip, 24/65 drilled deeper for a little more backbone, in the black resin handle. Larry is a great guy and I'm happy to order from him again. My first razor came from him.

I envy you. Your brush won't be two weeks going through mail across the border. Please post a pic of it when it arrives so I can live vicariously through you. :eek:

I emailed him yesterday asking for an update and he replied right away saying he should get knots in any day. He sent me another email about an hour or two later saying they were in! Paid him today and it should be on its way soon. Very excited. 24mm silvertip in an ivory resin handle drilled down to 20mm.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398283248.678187.jpg Bask in all her glory! Larry will definitely be getting my future business!

Yep mine is the black marbled handle drilled deeper and it is also 22mm...

It seems really really stiff though. Maybe because it is not broken in yet. Another thing is that I notice it holds water too well in my opinion. I hope that changes. Cuz i usually "face lather" on a towel to dry it off after shaking all the water out and it was still soaking wet it seemed like. I don't get it

What are the advantages/disadvantages to having the deeper drilling?

A brush with a shorter loft (i.e., drilled deeper) will be firmer with less splay. Many like a firmer knot, particularly to face lather (for the massaging or scrubby feel) or when using hard soaps (a firm knot more easily picks-up the soap).

It's really very much a matter of personal preference. For instance, I like to face lather, but prefer a softer brush than many others on the forum. While a "typical" face latherer might like a 24mm knot with a 48mm loft (standard WD loft is 55mm), I prefer a 50-52mm loft.

A brush with a shorter loft (i.e., drilled deeper) will be firmer with less splay. Many like a firmer knot, particularly to face lather (for the massaging or scrubby feel) or when using hard soaps (a firm knot more easily picks-up the soap).

It's really very much a matter of personal preference. For instance, I like to face lather, but prefer a softer brush than many others on the forum. While a "typical" face latherer might like a 24mm knot with a 48mm loft (standard WD loft is 55mm), I prefer a 50-52mm loft.

Hrmh. Just placed an order for a 24mm with a standard loft. I don't think I've ever bought something and not wished I got something just a little different. Should still be good. Thanks for the info.

Hrmh. Just placed an order for a 24mm with a standard loft. I don't think I've ever bought something and not wished I got something just a little different. Should still be good. Thanks for the info.

A 24/55 silvertip is a fine brush. I doubt very much that you will be disappointed at all. Moreover, if you primarily bowl lather, or intend to both bowl and face lather, this loft will be excellent.

However, if you just placed your order, you can still call or email Larry and request him to drill deeper. I would imagine that if your brush has not already been sent out that he would be amenable. You certainly have nothing to lose.

Good luck.

It just went in the mail today, but thanks for the affirmation, haha.

I have no doubts that you will enjoy your new toy, err. . . manly shaving tool.

With this new information about loft, however, you can now begin to think about the dimensions for your next Whipped Dog.:wink2:

Top Bottom