What's new

Need a new barbell

I've been using the barbell that came with the plates for 10 yrs. It's done well but is falling apart. I'm thinking about a Rogue Power Bar. Any other suggestions?

I bought a 300 lb (with Olympic bar) set at Academy back in 2006. It still looks great. But i have them set in carpet squares in the garage, so the weights didn't get rust or anything.

I've been using the barbell that came with the plates for 10 yrs. It's done well but is falling apart. I'm thinking about a Rogue Power Bar. Any other suggestions?

I would go Ivanko , it has been good to me over the years. Very foregiven on extra wight days. http://www.amazon.com/Ivanko-Black-Oxide-Olympic-Bar/dp/B00551XB96
proxy.php

What are you going to do with it? if you are weightlifting or doing powercleans and crossfitty type stuff, the Rogue is a good choice. The Ivankos are too stiff for weightlifting (and by that i mean performing the snatch and c&j) where you actually want the bar to have bit of flex. I had one and ended up selling it.

Now if you are powerlifiting, then the Ivanko is a solid choice.

What are you going to do with it? if you are weightlifting or doing powercleans and crossfitty type stuff, the Rogue is a good choice. The Ivankos are too stiff for weightlifting (and by that i mean performing the snatch and c&j) where you actually want the bar to have bit of flex. I had one and ended up selling it.

Now if you are powerlifiting, then the Ivanko is a solid choice.

Squats, DL, overhead and bench press probably cover 90% of what I do with a barbell. Power cleans are as close as I get to oly lifting. The Rogue bar felt like a good general purpose bar and the lifetime warranty is never bad. My son and his friend will also use the bar.

The Ivanko is a little more than I was planning to spend but not out of the question. The Texas Power Bar also gets a lot of love.

Squats, DL, overhead and bench press probably cover 90% of what I do with a barbell. Power cleans are as close as I get to oly lifting. The Rogue bar felt like a good general purpose bar and the lifetime warranty is never bad. My son and his friend will also use the bar.

The Ivanko is a little more than I was planning to spend but not out of the question. The Texas Power Bar also gets a lot of love.
From what I remember the Texas power bar makes a good general weightlifting bar as well as a good PL bar. For what you want to do, any of the above mentioned bars will do the trick, but I would lean toward the Rogue. You can do powercleans with just about any bar.

NO matter what, do NOT get a bar with center knurling. (but I'm guessing you know that)

Last edited:
Finally went with the Rogue Castro bar. I liked the uncoated steel. Showed up this afternoon. Feels good. Nice knurling, not too aggressive. Looking forward to heavy squats tomorrow.

I went with Rogue for my Olympic bar and bumper plates about 5 years ago and have been very happy with them.

Finally went with the Rogue Castro bar. I liked the uncoated steel. Showed up this afternoon. Feels good. Nice knurling, not too aggressive. Looking forward to heavy squats tomorrow.

Great, i am still healing from ankle surgery so i can not do heavy lift days yet. Keep us posted on your Rogue.

For me that is always the hardest part about buying a bar online--finding one with just the right knurling. I have had bars with knurling so sharp that lifting wasn't' all that fun.

For me that is always the hardest part about buying a bar online--finding one with just the right knurling. I have had bars with knurling so sharp that lifting wasn't' all that fun.

Dex, i would use gloves if the bar was too knurly, such as in a gym or friends gym.

I have one of those that lives in the corner. Someone gave it to me I think. Wrecks my hands. I thought about sanding the knurling down but never got around to trying.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I was going to recommend buying a used one from Alex, but they're probably all bent from the weight he slings around (or at least did prior to his injury- he's had a pretty rough year).

Ivanko- what a great suggestion!

Tried the bar out today. Slightly thinner than my old bar with less flex. The knurling is great and the raw steel is not polished so feels like it sticks to your shoulders while squatting. Helped me get a new PR today.

I was going to recommend buying a used one from Alex, but they're probably all bent from the weight he slings around (or at least did prior to his injury- he's had a pretty rough year).

Ivanko- what a great suggestion!
True, but the B&B support pulled me through.....:thumbup1:

Tried the bar out today. Slightly thinner than my old bar with less flex. The knurling is great and the raw steel is not polished so feels like it sticks to your shoulders while squatting. Helped me get a new PR today.

what was it?.........new PR yeah!!!:spidey:

I get just under 29mm on the new bar and 31 on the old bar. Doesn't seem like much now that i measured but it is surprisingly noticeable.
OK, so it is pretty close to regulation if not regulation. I had a Chapman bar that was 32mm and the difference was very noticeable when I would drop down to a regulation bar. I actually prefer 28mm or so, for some reason the bar is easier to handle, and you don't feel like you are working your grip so much. For squats it is not an issue, of course.

Top Bottom