What's new

Newbie patiently waiting

Hi, guys. Thanks to a very generous PIF from a member here, I'm awaiting the arrival of my first DE razor. I believe it's a prewar Tech with the fat handle. He's also throwing in a Merkur classic head. I still haven't decided whether to go vintage or Frankenstein for my first DE shave. Finding some soap and a brush is my next adventure. Eventually I'd like to get a Kent Infinity brush and some Tabac, but those will have to wait until funds permit. Something from Walmart or CVS will get me started. At least I'll be starting out with good razors. I'll let you you know when they get here.

Congrats! Even though I use a straight most of the time, I still break out the fat handle tech at least once a month. Fantastic razor.

Enjoy. I got a PIF package from a B&B brother and just about fell out when I opened it. It's inspired me to be more generous. Not just with shaving supplies, but in general.

Welcome to B&B! Nice PIF you received- I use a merkur just about every time I shave. Tabac is a staple in many dens, and will last a long, long time.

Hi and welcome. This is a great place to learn all about DE shaving.

On soap and brush - You can go two ways. You can find an inexpensive Van der Hagen set (bowl, brush, soap) at WalMart or many chain drug stores. These are more than adequate to start out, but you may find that you quickly want a better quality brush and soap.

An alternative would be to order something like Senmogue 13605 or 620 and some soap from one of the B&B vendors. Might cost a little more, but you would have a brush that you could use for a long time.

I started with my canned shaving cream for first 2-3 weeks until I decided I wanted to go full bore with soap and brush. That's not the worst thing to do and allows you to spread the costs over a longer period.

I started with my canned shaving cream for first 2-3 weeks until I decided I wanted to go full bore with soap and brush. That's not the worst thing to do and allows you to spread the costs over a longer period.
+1
I think this also allowed me to JUST concentrate on blade angle and getting a good shave. To get the exfoliation from the brush, I'd squirt a little of my Barbasol on the end of my brush and used circular strokes to apply on my face.

Whatever you choose, enjoy yourself and if things don't work out at first - don't quit! This is a skill that you have to work on, not just a cruddy shave with a cart.

Good luck and be safe!

Welcome to B&B! Cremo, Pacific Coast, Clubman and Shea Moisture are all decent products that can usually be picked up locally at Walgreen`s or Meijer.

Ahhh...another one assimilated. Resistance is futile, get a nice brush and try bowl lathering and you will enjoy shaving!

Awww... You guys are making me feel all warm and squishy. It's nice to feel welcomed. After some thought, I'm pretty sure I'll start with the Tech. It's kind of cool to think my first shave is with with a quality American instrument made before WWII. Trying to get the SO into antique stores and second-hand shops to look for stuff will be the next challenge. Maybe I'll try :a37:

Top Bottom