What's new

separate Soap Bowls and changing soaps frequently - a beginner's question

Do I need to soak each soap? Should i get a separate bowl from my scuttle? Is there a lot of waste?

So yesterday I was excited to receive my T&H 1805 soap. What I had previously thought I had purchased before was their cream. Love LOVE the cream, but I wanted soap. So I also bought glycerin and attempted to combine all three for uberlather. FAIL! Because you guys rock, I already know I'm going to get a lot of encouragement and I am appreciative. I certainly will keep trying and I appreciate any advice.

But meanwhile (to the purpose of this thread), I read the directions for uberlathering here at B&B and it says to soak the soap. I presume that means letting it sit in a bowl covered with water. I fear that. That might soften the soap but won't that also make it waste away?
1) is there a way of preventing it from wasting away?

Furthermore, it didn't occur to me that a separate bowl should be used for loading the soap from the bowl that I use for lathering. Is that right? It seems so from other posts. Now, I don't mind this at all. It kinda makes sense. I have a Dirty Bird scuttle on the way.
2a) Am I right in thinking it would be beneficial to load my brush in one bowl, and then develop lather in the scuttle?
2b) Isn't it a disadvantage to use one of those bowls or scuttles with holes in the bottom?

And finally, I don't want to have to use just one soap during the week. On Thursdays I'm 1805 from head to toe (shave soap, body soap, shave cream, aftershave balm, and cologne). But on the two other days of the week I want to shave using a different soap. In light of comments and suggestions to either grate the soap, or form the soap to the bowl, and soaking the soap, all of which seems to suggest that the person is sticking only to one soap,
3) are there any suggestions from members about how to switch soaps from one day to another whilst preserving the different soaps as much as possible?

I look forward to your response. Already figuring I might be purchasing a separate Dirty Bird bowl from my scuttle.

If you bought a refill puck (no bowl) you should store your soap in a container after using it. What you use for a container is up to you and the options are pretty broad from wood to metal to ceramic to plastic to exotic stone.

If you are going to make lather in a bowl and apply it, you should use a dedicated lathering bowl. Again the choices are almost limitless.

Personally I enjoy face lathering with soaps and bowl lathering with creams as (for me anyway) soaps do better when building lather on my beard and creams do better building lather in a bowl. How you use your products is entirely up to you (there is no shaving law and no shaving police around here to enforce any).

It sounds like you just need separate bowls for your separate soaps. Make the of the size necessary to load in, then transfer said loaded brush to scuttle (or lather bowl) and go. If your worried about the puck wasting away from soaking, the dump some of the soak water into the bowl for lathering. Also, you have more waste if you lather 100% on the puck rather than in a separate bowl. There was a post the other day of some stackable acrylic containers from the container store that look really good if your worried about space and looks of separate bowls for your soaps.

Don't overthink it though......just enjoy the shave!

IMO, today's T&H soap is pitiful. I ended up using mine as shower soap. Their cream is excellent.

I store my soaps in containers. When I started out I would recycle the plastic bowls that KFC uses for their mashed potatoes. Whatever works!

I don't need to soak my soap. People cursed with harder water than I use find it beneficial to do so.

Last edited:
I agree with all the previous posters' comments. If you get a storage container that is large enough to accommodate the puck with a bit of room left over, you can load your brush without making a mess and then proceed to your scuttle to build lather. In cruising the web, I've found a number of reasonable alternatives for soap storage, and I believe that Stirling offers 3 sizes of aluminum containers at reasonable prices. I've learned much from the B&B forum, but have also learned by trial and error and my own experience. Do and learn, but most of all, enjoy!

so i just saw these at the container store today. they are kinda utilitarian, but i would imagine these would be great for those with a ton of different soaps, or a gaggle of samples:
$20140418_154821.jpg$20140418_154828.jpg$20140418_154841.jpg$20140418_154903.jpg
the smallest ones seem useless, but at $.99 i'm sure someone can use them for something

Shaversnapper, I don't know how the simplest of ideas could so easily escape me. It makes COMPLETE sense to use the soaking water to pour into the scuttle when lathering. THANK YOU

Thank you, Turtle, Oldtrout, Shavesq, and Jez for the response. I am running out of room on my shower shelves but can easily rearrange and remove some of my other shower items (btw, Basin shave cream - nice but NO lather whatsoever). When I do, I'll be able to get some of those stackable containers.

Thanks for the pics, Shaversnapper!

Top Bottom