What's new

Noob handed down pen repair question Pelikan 400 collar

I recently acquired a bunch of pens after my grandfather passed. I had been using a Montblanc rollerball I found in a rental car. I filled a Parker 75 with ink and now have become enamored with fountain pens. I have a 1950's Pelikan 400 in a beautiful tortoise shell green that I filled with ink. It leaked all over and after investigating the clear plastic collar that holds the nib and the feeder was cracked in two. Is there somewhere I can buy just the collar that would fit? I am looking for a cheapish DIY repair but have had no luck thus far. Thanks for your help and I have a feeling pens might be my new fetish as a found my RAD killer recently...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sounds like a 1960's 400NN, they had the clear collar. You'll need to buy a nib unit from an M200 for a replacement. There is a guy in Germany, Rolf Thiel who did have some but last check he was out of stock at missing-pen.de

I can swap the collar and reset the original nib and feed for you when you get the part (no charge). The pen is valuable and deserves to be fixed and used.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sounds like a 1960's 400NN, they had the clear collar. You'll need to buy a nib unit from an M200 for a replacement. There is a guy in Germany, Rolf Thiel who did have some but last check he was out of stock at missing-pen.de

I can swap the collar and reset the original nib and feed for you when you get the part (no charge). The pen is valuable and deserves to be fixed and used.
The Pelikan pro has spoken- I would take him up on that offer. Do you have any pics? I haven't drooled yet today.

Yep Rolf is out of stock, and as he told me (few months ago), he won't be stocking up anytime soon.

But! there is two other guys I found that make collars.

They both located in Europe (I think). But I guess shipping should not be an issue for this small piece. Francis is making them from though black plastic,, POM ( Delrin). While David as I recall makes em from metal (like on the new nibs). Also David last time I checked said he only works with bank transfer (maybe he opened PayPal by now :)).

I have also a Pelikan 400 NN tortois with cracked nib .. but mine functions normal, has no issues with leaking etc, and I haven't gotten to changing it yet.

Last edited:
http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/47550/full

Thank you very much for your responses.
full

Attachments

• $P4170479.jpg
    $P4170479.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Wait......Pelikans with cracking problems? Say it aint so. I keed Doug, I keed. I admit cracking after decades is something all together different.

Op, that's one beautiful pen. Doug (Nemo) is the Pelikan whisperer around here. You're in good hands.

I swear I have been on here for years and still mess up uploading pictures. Thank you for your responses. I will try to contact David and Francis and will also try fleabay for parts now I know what to look for.

In the interum should I just leave this pen empty with the cap on to prevent the plunger from drying out or is there something else I should be doing with it to prevent this?

Nemo, thank you for your offer and I will take you up on it as soon as I can locate a part. That is very kind of you. I too believe things like this should be used and not sitting in a drawer...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Man, that is a fine looking pen. I love the the way the filling knob is rounded on these.

You can send it in to pelikan for repair.
I have been told that they will repair any of there pens, If the pen is beyond repair you are given the option of purchasing a equivalent pen at a reduced price.

since you are outside of Germany you can contact Pelikan here
[email protected]

If you would like me to run your pen over to Pelikan I could do that for you next time I go that way.

I would like to thank Nemo and Fountainbel at Fountain Pen Network for helping restore a little piece of my family history. I bought a replacement collar from Fountainbel and he is a great gentleman to work with. Nemo has been amazing getting me started in fountain pens and has been a sage for the uninitiated. I am now on an ink quest so I can thank B&B for enabling another thing I will probably spend too much time reading about...

I would like to thank Nemo and Fountainbel at Fountain Pen Network for helping restore a little piece of my family history. I bought a replacement collar from Fountainbel and he is a great gentleman to work with. Nemo has been amazing getting me started in fountain pens and has been a sage for the uninitiated. I am now on an ink quest so I can thank B&B for enabling another thing I will probably spend too much time reading about...
Great hear, not only on a fixed great, but also your new quest for ink.... then we will get you on paper lol

I am glad to hear the pen is in good hands though

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As for ink, if I had a vintage Pelikan I would stick with Pelikan ink. I wouldn't let a bottle of Noodler's anything even look at the pen.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I was happy to help reset the nib solely for the pleasure of playing with halfturk's flexible fine nib. :thumbup1: And what a nib! Thanks for the kind words.

Owen's suggestion of sticking with Pelikan ink is a good one.

Top Bottom