What's new

Pen Review - Pelikan 400 NN

Pelikan 400 NN
(1957 - 1965)
$pic91.jpg
Third version from the Pelikan 400 series, the Pelikan 400 NN features a bit slimmer and longer shape, with a bit more rounded and elongated ends, giving it a bit slimmer cigar looking form compared to its predecessors.

There are several variations on the 400 NN model:
Barrel____________Cap
green stripedblack
grey stripedblack
green striped
twist button dark green
dark green
cap top dark green
tortoise-shell brown stripeddark brown
blackblack
light tortoise-shelllight tortoise-shell
green transparent
demonstration model
green transparent

Plus some other variations like the 500NN, 520NN, 600NN and 700NN, that feature rolled gold caps and/or barrels.

Appearance and Design

The one I have here is the Pelikan 400NN tortoise-shell brown striped version. As pictured it has brown stripped barrel, dark brown cap and end twist button. It has a stylized pelican beak for a clip. The clip has nice spring to it and the "beak" is slightly curved upward at the end, this leads to and easy,fast and secure placement. Cap has gold ring at the end that has "Pelikan 400 - Germany" engraved onto it. The Cap is screw type and takes about 3/4 of a turn to lock/unlock.

Weight and Dimensions

Length: 130mm closed
123mm with no cap
148mm capped

Width: the barrel is 12mm in width, narrowing to about 9mm in the grip section.

Filling System and Maintenance

This pen is a piston filler and holds about 2ml of ink (Google Fu info). The nib section is removable and it screws into the barrel, so that makes for a quick and easy cleaning or swapping nibs between pens.

This is also one of the "minuses" of the 400 NN model.Pelikan introduced a new type of plastic for the collar with this model that sadly didn't shown up to be that durable and with age this clear plastic collars got prone to crumbling and cracking. Luckily that is also an easy fix, from getting a new collar machined in hard rubber or metal (there are few guys that do that service) to getting a replacement nib section from an M150-M200 or similar model and stripping it for parts ie getting the collar. I was lucky enough to be able to get an hard rubber (ebonite or derlin) collar to match the feed.

Also compared to the new models the feed on this one has vertical fins instead of horizontal ones.
$pic1.jpg
$pic2.jpg
$pic3.jpg
$pic4.jpg

Nib Performance

The nib is 14C - 585 - EF on my pen. Nice and smooth with a decent amount of flex. It has a nice simple design with the Pelikan circle logo with mama pelican with two baby chicks. It has the size info engraved under nit the logo.

Conclusion

Great vintage pen that is solid built, I was using this one with the broken collar for a long time with no issues (other then not being able to take it apart for through cleaning). Large ink capacity and a nice smooth piston. Sadly I can't really manage to capture the beauty of the barrel on pictures :) It has great variety in the stripes colors (green to dark rich brown) with great deal of pearlescence effect when light catches it under different angles, also it is slightly translucent so you can tell when you are running out of ink. Nice grip section that is concave, and smooth cap threads, giving it a great comfort when writing with it.

I also have the brown tortoise 400NN. It's a gorgeous pen! Mine has a somewhat unusual nib...an "OF" (Oblique Fine). OM and OB are not uncommon, but I've seen very few OFs. Actually, I'd probably like to eventually swap out the oblique nib for a conventional shape. The oblique nib doesn't work that well with my straight up-and-down style of handwriting. The nib has some beautiful flex...not a wet noodle, but plenty of line variation without a lot of pressure. I've got mine on my desktop right now, filled with Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun ink.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
feel free to add a picture or two to show that variation of the model :thumbup1:

Informative review of one of pendom's and Pelikan's greatest achievements. Thanks! I'm lucky to have owned a few. :blush:

Here's black one I found about a year ago.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The 400NN is more pointed and streamlined than the 400. It also is claimed that it holds a tiny bit more ink than its vintage brethren.

Here's a comparison to the 400. I wish I'd never sold three of these pens!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nemo are the nibs same size on all three versions of the 400? and thanks for adding those pictures!

Gorgeous pens Vercin, Nemo, and Snargle. I love me some old Pelikans.

Great review too Vercin...you are a braver man than I...I haven't had the guts to take the nib unit apart on any of my old Pelikan pens. The tinkerer in me wants to, but they all write well, and the cautious person in me tells me to leave well enough alone.

Gorgeous pens Vercin, Nemo, and Snargle. I love me some old Pelikans.

Great review too Vercin...you are a braver man than I...I haven't had the guts to take the nib unit apart on any of my old Pelikan pens. The tinkerer in me wants to, but they all write well, and the cautious person in me tells me to leave well enough alone.

I didn't touch it till I got the replacement collar and it worked with no issues and leakage. Removing the old one was a pain, since the nib and feed just dropped when I tried to unscrew it, leaving the broken collar stuck inside with caked dry ink and all. Thankfully after some soaking and gently turning it with a screwdriver it come loose! After that all was a breeze with the new replacement.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nibs are the same size, the 140 is a wee bit smaller. There were a few different engravings, the ones without the logo are worth looking for.

The 140 pens had some of those clear collars that cracked, too. You're a lucky guy if you are able to get it out as some a cemented in with 50 year old ink.
I've got a couple I can't get out.

Did you get fountainbel's collar? I've got one of his that doesn't fit.

I got mine with a feed .. I believe it is an 140 feed because it is shorter than the 400.

Top Bottom