What's new

Above the Tie Kronos OC R2 or M2?

I've been thinking about purchasing new DE razor for a while now, and I almost made my decision. I was just wondering if any of you fine gentlemen can tell me what's the real difference between these two base plates? I read that M2 is not a mild one, and that R2 is more on the aggressive side, but there aren't many opinions about these two, yet. I used Fatip Grande for a while, but it was to aggressive for me, in a way that it gave me irritation on the first pass, so I gave up on it. I now use iKon Deluxe OC, and it's fairly good, or excellent, depending on a blade. If anyone used Fatip, or iKon, and Kronos (or Atlas) with either R2, or M2 plate, it would be much appreciated to read about your experience, which is milder, more aggressive, more efficient, sliker, etc.
Thank you in advance

I found the M2 to be a touch more aggressive than the iKon OC Deluxe. Once I got the right blade in the M2 it shaved just as smoothly as the iKon. So yes, the M2 is not a mild razor but more a moderate, however it is smooth. No experience with the R2 but by all accounts it's more aggressive than M2 with the same smoothness.

I started with an Atlas R2. It was great for my cheeks but too aggressive for my throat. The razor felt like it was constantly on the verge of biting me. The M2 is noticeably milder. The first time I shaved with the M2 it felt so mild that I was careless and gave myself razor burn because of it. The M2 is now my daily driver and I get a great shave out of it with a good sharp blade like a Gillette Silver Blue or a Personna Med Prep. My first razor was an Edwin Jagger DE89L. The M2 feels, to me, a little milder than that.

IIRC, if you buy it from ATT, you have 30 days in which to play with whichever one you want to start with and then, if you aren't happy, return it for the other. Hard to go wrong.

I'm at the beginning of ATT road, still trying to dial it in. I currently have just the M1, the mildest baseplate ATT makes. It has about a .010" blade gap which is very tight but the blade edge is a bit more exposed than other DE razors I've used. If I don't keep the head at just the right angle any blade used will bite. I'm doing so much blade-buffing trying to get a close shave that I'm actually getting more skin irritation and always feel rough stubble running my hands against the grain. In the process of switching to an R1, has a gap I've read more like .023" or .58mm, hoping that hits my personal mark.
I can say the handle too can make a difference. Longer puts more weight at the head, shorter less. Using a Kronos/Titan now and found I really need to pay close attention to angle far more than I did using a Weber Bulldog or old open comb travel razor.
There's really no 'magic bullet, an open comb will allow more soap or cream to stay in place until the blade reaches the stubble, it may give smoother shaves than same number closed comb depending on your technique since it's not compressing as much skin as a full safety bar.
I'm with Bloozepicker in regard to the 'M' series, at least I'm finding that with the M1 being so incredibly mild it caused me more irritation/razor burn, simply because it wasn't shaving close enough and I tried forcing the issue with multiple passes and way too much buffing.
Nice thing about ATT is their swap-policy, pick one and if it's not for you they'll work with you to make it work. Great thing for those of us financially incapable of or just don't want getting the entire set.
If I could have a do-over I'd provably gone with the R2 open comb, starting in the middle if going open. Seeing you're used to longer handles the transition to just extra weight of solid stainless should be pretty comfortable. Unless you've tried or own something short and heavy, like the Bulldog style, you may find it awkward. The Kronos/Atlas just feels right even after using nothing but solid 3" handles for a long time. You can always choke up on a long handle, you can't do much to add to a short one. Although I do find the barber pole knurling very attractive on the Atlas there's no room if it's short.
ATT rating system=
M=Mild/Moderate [1 or 2]
R=Regular
H=Heavy

Aggresion comes into play more from technique; angle, pressure, handle length/weight all play parts in the end result. Just know they're wonderful razors, designed by a true gentleman, and in my eyes the system is simply brilliant. The idea of swapping components to match personal needs is the best I've come across, would love to have each handle and a few different baseplates but I know the 'M' series probably best suited to say getting rid of a 5 o'clock shadow and not a morning shave if I had the entire set to use. That's my experience, for what it's worth, so far very limited experience.
I hope that helps, some.

I'm at the beginning of ATT road, still trying to dial it in. I currently have just the M1, the mildest baseplate ATT makes. It has about a .010" blade gap which is very tight but the blade edge is a bit more exposed than other DE razors I've used. If I don't keep the head at just the right angle any blade used will bite. I'm doing so much blade-buffing trying to get a close shave that I'm actually getting more skin irritation and always feel rough stubble running my hands against the grain. In the process of switching to an R1, has a gap I've read more like .023" or .58mm, hoping that hits my personal mark.
I can say the handle too can make a difference. Longer puts more weight at the head, shorter less. Using a Kronos/Titan now and found I really need to pay close attention to angle far more than I did using a Weber Bulldog or old open comb travel razor.
There's really no 'magic bullet, an open comb will allow more soap or cream to stay in place until the blade reaches the stubble, it may give smoother shaves than same number closed comb depending on your technique since it's not compressing as much skin as a full safety bar.
I'm with Bloozepicker in regard to the 'M' series, at least I'm finding that with the M1 being so incredibly mild it caused me more irritation/razor burn, simply because it wasn't shaving close enough and I tried forcing the issue with multiple passes and way too much buffing.
Nice thing about ATT is their swap-policy, pick one and if it's not for you they'll work with you to make it work. Great thing for those of us financially incapable of or just don't want getting the entire set.
If I could have a do-over I'd provably gone with the R2 open comb, starting in the middle if going open. Seeing you're used to longer handles the transition to just extra weight of solid stainless should be pretty comfortable. Unless you've tried or own something short and heavy, like the Bulldog style, you may find it awkward. The Kronos/Atlas just feels right even after using nothing but solid 3" handles for a long time. You can always choke up on a long handle, you can't do much to add to a short one. Although I do find the barber pole knurling very attractive on the Atlas there's no room if it's short.
ATT rating system=
M=Mild/Moderate [1 or 2]
R=Regular
H=Heavy

Aggresion comes into play more from technique; angle, pressure, handle length/weight all play parts in the end result. Just know they're wonderful razors, designed by a true gentleman, and in my eyes the system is simply brilliant. The idea of swapping components to match personal needs is the best I've come across, would love to have each handle and a few different baseplates but I know the 'M' series probably best suited to say getting rid of a 5 o'clock shadow and not a morning shave if I had the entire set to use. That's my experience, for what it's worth, so far very limited experience.
I hope that helps, some.

I had some of what you're talking about with my first couple of shaves with the M2 as far as not getting super smooth shaves. After playing with different blades and adjusting my technique some though I get great shaves daily. One thing I've found very effective with this razor is using the "gillette slide" ATG on my last pass. The razor really lends itself to this technique as it's very mild to start with and this leaves me extremely smooth even on my hard to shave lower neck area.

I went with the Atlas R2 open comb, and promised myself that I would take Stan up on his return/exchange plan if an M2 or H2 seemed to be a better choice. My R2 isn't going anywhere and it loves the Personna Blues, resulting in a smooth pleasant close shave. I thought perhaps I would want to pair up the R2 head with my Weber Bulldog handle, but the Atlas is a perfect well balanced solution that is easy to hang on to and maintain a correct angle. Regards

I just received an R2 Atlas yesterday. Very efficient. My first shave with it was with a Personna Red. If your technique is good, it will reward you with a nice shave. I have no experience with the other heads, this being my first ATT product. It feels tremendously solid in my hand. Aggressive? Yeah, I suppose it is. My other razors include: a Fatboy (usually set at 6 or 7), Slim (lately set at 7 or 8), Progress (set a 3, 3.5 or 4), Merkur HD 34, Gillette OC old and OC new heads. I have used Personna Reds & Meds, as well as Feathers with most of these. The R2 is by far more efficient and probably more aggressive than any of those. I will need to have a few more shaves with the R2 to feel fully comfortable with it, but I am very happy so far.

I bought mine from BullGoose only because Phil was offering 10% until today for Tax Day.

+1 on what Kaz2 says about the Atlas handle. If you like a longer or heavier handle or have large hands (I have small ones), I'm sure the Kronos is every bit as nice. Great balance and weight. Gorgeous finish on everything.

The only razors I can imagine wanting after this would be aesthetic and/or collecting reasons (I covet a No. 15 British Aristocrat OC).

Last edited:
I went with the Atlas R2 open comb, and promised myself that I would take Stan up on his return/exchange plan if an M2 or H2 seemed to be a better choice. My R2 isn't going anywhere and it loves the Personna Blues, resulting in a smooth pleasant close shave. I thought perhaps I would want to pair up the R2 head with my Weber Bulldog handle, but the Atlas is a perfect well balanced solution that is easy to hang on to and maintain a correct angle. Regards

+1 on the Atlas handle. This razor is built like a tank and perfectly balanced. The knurling is also very nice. Seriously, in a pinch you could probably conk someone in the head in defense of your life and take them out if need be.

Thank you all for your help, I'll mull this over for the next couple of months and see where it'll lead me. But M2, or R2 will be coming my way soon.

I use a Slim on 7 and am still deciding between a R2 or H2. From what I am seeing, people are preferring the Open Combs.

Top Bottom