What's new

What's cooking for Easter

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm curious what folk are having for Easter. I know not everybody celebrates Easter but for my family it is an important weekend. This year no relatives will be coming over, that I know of. Since it is just my wife and I probably the only difference will be making some hot crossed buns.

How about you?

My wife informs me that we will be providing the meat, probably ham, and the dessert this Easter. So any good suggestions for ham are appreciated. She usually handles the dessert.

Not a huge fan of ham, and it's just the two of us left in California, so most holidays are turkey breast (a whole bird would be a waste due to the size and both of us preferring white meat), or sometimes we'll go out for a nice Prime Rib dinner.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I usually do a ham, but I think I am going to spend the weekend in Fredericksburg, TX. If so, I will have the sauerbraten at a place called Der Linden Baum.

Believe it or not, I am going to make dim sum for Easter! Beginning to be a tradition when my son and his family comes over.

I have a request for a smoked brisket, but i'm supposed to go on a easter jeep run on Saturday, trying to figure out the timing, i see an overnight smoke in my future.

Can you share a bit of what you are doing or have done?
Delighted! Plan on pork shiu mai, Shanghai spring rolls, spring rolls using shiu mai filling, stir fried choi sum (flowering bok choi) with straw mushrooms, steamed lemon chicken with black beans, and (cheating) some preprepared haw kau. Probably will do a vinegar-soy dip; either that or ponzu.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wow John I think I need to set aside a day for such a tradition. Dumb question . . . flowering bok choi . . . I thought once it flowered it is quite bitter.

We're going way off the rails this year. Veal Parmigiana. Quite a break from our normal tradition of ham or lamb, but I am excited.

Wow John I think I need to set aside a day for such a tradition. Dumb question . . . flowering bok choi . . . I thought once it flowered it is quite bitter.

Have only done it once before, and believe that is what I read too. At the time I debated whether to discard the flowers, but didn't as I recall. It was good, but not sure it was any better than regular bok choi. I think this time I may pick either choi sum or bok choi depending on what looks freshest. Amazingly, in Omaha we have at least one Asian market where the veg are like they just came out of the field. Really nice! And cheap!

Lamb shank for us! Not sure what else is going with it. There is always a green salad, cheese platter all day, and plenty of Prosecco and wine. I'm sure my mother in law will be making some Pane di Pasqua (a knotted Italian Easter bread with whole eggs nestled and baked into the knots), and some other delicious desserts.

Reservations. We usually have a big family meal featuring ham, but this year, we are going out for brunch after church.

Top Bottom