What's new

Are there any good modern TTO razors?

Reading the posts on this site and looking around on Ebay, I've noticed a trend. Only Gillette TTO razors are recommended. Are there any currently manufactured TTOs that are worth owning? Or maybe the manufacturing costs are just too high to produce a good one anymore.

I don't think it has to do with manufacturing costs. I don't have one, but people say the Weishi 9306 are good, in fact the only Weishi worth purchasing. Also Cadet "TTO", RazoRock ... etc ...
In my opinion, the best you can buy is a vintage Gillette. Not that there is something wrong with these mentioned above, I am just biased towards vintage razors.

A '40s Style Super Speed or a Flare Tip would be good choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
There absolutely is!

As mentioned, the Weishi 9306 is a nice razor. It is mild and a very inexpensive razor - it can be had for $9.99(US)shipped on the bay. It is quite light as it's made from cheap metal. But don't let that scare you away from it if you don't want to spend much. It's a great shaver and easily worth the 9.99.

The Parker 99R is another great modern TTO. They can be found for around $32 on amazon usually. I think most people tend to rate it in the medium+ level of aggressiveness. Much beefier than the Weishi, and has a long handle. This was the razor I chose for my first DE. Having said that, I don't regret or rejoice over that decision. I think a milder razor would have been nicer for my first one, but I got good results with it and still like it.

I only started DE shaving last month - when my 99R arrived. I'm up to 5 razors now and the 6th should be arriving on Monday. I wanted the same as you, a new modern one, not understanding why anyone liked the old ones over new and modern and figuring I'd only need/want one so I wanted it to be new... HA! There's a reason everyone recommends the vintage Gillettes - they ARE that good!

Get a new one.. Get a vintage.. It doesn't matter. Once you experience just how good wet shaving is, you'll end up with several.

I have looked at many of the modern TTO, but I am not sure that they compare to my Flair Tip. But that is not to say that if a nice modern TTO care accross my way I wouldn't purchase it. RAD is great.

I have the Parker 99R as well and I think it's a great razor.....I have a vintage gillette on the way but the Parker will still stay in my rotation for sure.

The micro touch one is very nice - but mild. It's all brass and very nicely chrome plated. The head is basically as aggressive as a Gillette flair tip, but it has a handle that is thicker and as heavy as a Gillette red tip. I have 2 MTOs and the alignment and finish on both is perfect. It's a great deal for $20 if you like mild razors. The online shipping is a bit high, but some Walmarts had them around Christmas and you may be able to get one from them.
Ps: I think the VDH they sell at Target may be the same razor. But for the same price, the MTO comes with 30 mild blades (Dorco). I don't think the Weishi 9603 is the same. People describe that one as light weight. The MTO is much heavier than my super speeds and NEW, but much lighter than my Weber. It's similar in weight to the Slim.

Note: Even with the heavier handle, the MTO is a little less aggressive then my 40s SS.

Last edited:
the weishi is FAR to mild for me. i just cant get a decent shave with it. id also like a modern tto but something adjustable. doubt we will ever see one though

I'm happy with my Cadet TTO-16 for the price. The chrome-plated brass handle is very nice, and the head seems to be made of brass as well. It's a pretty aggressive razor, more than my 3-piece Cadet open comb.

I'm happy with my Cadet TTO-16 for the price. The chrome-plated brass handle is very nice, and the head seems to be made of brass as well. It's a pretty aggressive razor, more than my 3-piece Cadet open comb.

That is the reason I stay away from razors like the Cadet TTOs ... to my taste, a British Gillette Rocket already was too aggressive. Anything with more bite than a Schick Krona is too much for me. I really love the mild razor / sharp blade combination (e.g. Krona / Feather).

I like my Parker 99R TTO - It is fairly aggressive for a solid bar head design. From a quality, fit and finish perspective, my razor was practically impeccable --- Perfect plating, even blade gap and exposure, and no lazy doors. At ~$30, it is a very good value considering the weight, long handle, and brass composition.

I like my Merkur Vision. It doesn't seem to get much love on here but I think it is the best razor in my DE collection. The only razors that I have that come close in smoothness are my SE razors. The only issue I have is the quirky system for adjusting the blade exposure.

If you like long handles, then check out the Parker 90R that shaves as good as any vintage. I've one and I still use it along side my Fatboy.

I just started with a EJ DE89 and am already looking to add a second razor and am leaning towards a TTO. Anyone have both a Parker TTO and a Cadet TTO to compare?

Picked up a feather popular and it seems decent. I don't have a lot of experience with de razors but I got a good shave with it and it was cheap.

I'm with brother Fafhrd, Cadet OC TTO is my current fav. It's the only razor I've been using for the last couple of weeks.

Top Bottom