What's new

Waterproofing new boots

I ordered some Allen Edmonds Long Branches earlier today from the Michigan Ave store & s wondering what you gents would recommend using to water proof them? I used some silicone spray before with no luck.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

$1330.jpg

$image.jpg

This is the Aussie stuff; same bees-wax base. I've also used sno-seal when I was hiking in Alaska/Denali a while back...

Send them back and order some boots with a gore-tex liner...

Everything else is just water RESISTANT.

Thats my opinion :)

sno-seal works well, but it only works where it can be applied. Seams will still seep water. If you just want to let water bead off and your not walking through water, its fine. If your walking through standing water, get gore-tex boots!

Send them back and order some boots with a gore-tex liner...

Everything else is just water RESISTANT.

Thats my opinion :)

sno-seal works well, but it only works where it can be applied. Seams will still seep water. If you just want to let water bead off and your not walking through water, its fine. If your walking through standing water, get gore-tex boots!

Old habits die hard - all my hikers have a gore-text type liner and I STILL dubbin them every season...

Old habits die hard - all my hikers have a gore-text type liner and I STILL dubbin them every season...

So true.

Sam the Boot Man, second generation Red Wing Dealer in town, actually recommends you waterproof Gore-Tex lined footwear to all his customers. Makes me feel like I am ahead of the curve. :biggrin1:

Gortex liners are great but there is a breathability factor that is incomparable when using traditional leather hiking boots. Plus, over time and many miles, the liners are prone to leaking. Obenaufs is the choice of many wildland firefighters for waterproofing their boots. Just another option for you.

I've always used a hair dryer on my boots after applying Snow Seal. It warms everything up and lets the SS run down into the cracks of the seams and stitching. I've been using it since we all wore those 5-pound "waffle stomper" Frankenstein-inspired "hiking boots" back in the 70's.

+1 on the warm Sno-Seal treatment, unless they are Gore-Tex; which I imagine they aren't.
It is a good idea to waterproof Gore-Tex boots, but products with a wax base, such as Sno-Seal, actually clog the membrane. This renders it unable to breathe. Nikwax or Grangers is a better bet for waterproof liners.

Top Bottom