What's new

First BBS Achieved!

I'm still definitely in the category of newbie so I figured this was the appropriate forum. Been at this about 3 months now, and this morning I finally achieved a FULL, true and complete BBS. Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of great shaves. Near BBS and close enough for work. But this morning I found Nirvana. Setup and technique below, in case anyone is interested.

Gear:
Razor - ATT Kronos R1
Blade - new Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Brush - Semogue 830
Pre-Shave - Noxzema Original Cream
Shaving Cream - Castle & Forbes Lime
Post-shave - Thayer's lavender witch hazel followed by Old Spice Lime

Procedure:
Soaked brush in my mug during my shower.
Applied conditioner to my beard while I showered.
After shower, dried some, but not all, of the water off of my face, then applied a thin layer of Noxzema
Bowl lathered the C&F and lathered up on top of the Noxzema
First pass - WTG on both face and neck
Rinsed and applied another thin layer of Noxzema
Second pass - XTG on my face and WTG on my neck
Rinsed and another thin layer of Noxzema
Third pass - ATG both neck and face
Rinsed off remaining cream and residue with warm water, then cold water.
Applied Thayer's and allowed it to dry while I cleaned up.
Slapped on some Old Spice Lime.

The R1 is still fairly new to me (only been using it for about 1 week) and this is the first time I've used a Gillette Yellow in it (before was Gillette Silver Blue). The Yellow is slightly sharper than the Silver Blue, so that certainly played a part in the BBS. However, this was also the first time I used Noxzema as a pre-shave. I have to say, IMO it was the Noxzema that made all the difference. It's true what they say ... the razor just glides over this stuff. And my face feels soft and moisturized. Only one weeper (on my lip of all places) and that resulted from a moment of bad technique. No burn at all. And also - for those concerned about the scent of Noxzema - I can say that from my point of view that scent is not lingering (as long as you thoroughly rinse) and it does not interfere with the scent of my A/S.

Thanks for listening!

Congrats! In your opinion, is the Above The Tie all that it's touted to be?

Hey Don - I was using a Merkur 34C during my first few months of DE shaving. It's a great tool, of course, but it is (as I'm sure you know) mild ... ESPECIALLY for my heavy, wiry beard. For me, the ATT is all that and more. With the right prep and blade, it cuts through my beard like butter. It is so weighty that it requires ZERO pressure, and the R1 plate is definitely more aggressive than the 34C. The ATT is so efficient that it requires less clean up. For me, less clean up and less passes means no irritation. I love it.

I am a firm believer in KISS.
If I did all that you have listed I would need an alphabetical index. You are very disciplined.
1. Put brush and razor in bowl of hot water
2. Shower
3. Make lather
4. Brush teeth and allow lather to warm up
5. Apply lather and shave two or three passes
6. Dry face and apply after shave.
7. Thoroughly clean brush and razor and dry razor.
8. Strop razor (Rolls Razor) also a few strokes on hone if necessary
Make breakfast.
Eat

It is a grand way to start my day.:thumbup:

Mickey

Congrats you have found the gear, products, technique that works for you.
Some try for many years with out finding their sweet spot and of course some give up.
Now remember this success and how you feel and try to keep it for 30 years without letting some aspect slide.
There is the trick.
May you achieve it.

I'm still definitely in the category of newbie so I figured this was the appropriate forum. Been at this about 3 months now, and this morning I finally achieved a FULL, true and complete BBS. Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of great shaves. Near BBS and close enough for work. But this morning I found Nirvana. Setup and technique below, in case anyone is interested.

Gear:
Razor - ATT Kronos R1
Blade - new Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Brush - Semogue 830
Pre-Shave - Noxzema Original Cream
Shaving Cream - Castle & Forbes Lime
Post-shave - Thayer's lavender witch hazel followed by Old Spice Lime

Procedure:
Soaked brush in my mug during my shower.
Applied conditioner to my beard while I showered.
After shower, dried some, but not all, of the water off of my face, then applied a thin layer of Noxzema
Bowl lathered the C&F and lathered up on top of the Noxzema
First pass - WTG on both face and neck
Rinsed and applied another thin layer of Noxzema
Second pass - XTG on my face and WTG on my neck
Rinsed and another thin layer of Noxzema
Third pass - ATG both neck and face
Rinsed off remaining cream and residue with warm water, then cold water.
Applied Thayer's and allowed it to dry while I cleaned up.
Slapped on some Old Spice Lime.

The R1 is still fairly new to me (only been using it for about 1 week) and this is the first time I've used a Gillette Yellow in it (before was Gillette Silver Blue). The Yellow is slightly sharper than the Silver Blue, so that certainly played a part in the BBS. However, this was also the first time I used Noxzema as a pre-shave. I have to say, IMO it was the Noxzema that made all the difference. It's true what they say ... the razor just glides over this stuff. And my face feels soft and moisturized. Only one weeper (on my lip of all places) and that resulted from a moment of bad technique. No burn at all. And also - for those concerned about the scent of Noxzema - I can say that from my point of view that scent is not lingering (as long as you thoroughly rinse) and it does not interfere with the scent of my A/S.

Thanks for listening!
It seems that you qualify as a ACE shaver.....
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...e-a-perfect-no-issue-shave-to-post?highlight=

Congratulations. How are you liking using the Noxzema? I have been using it all week and it seem to make a bit of a difference.

I love the noxzema. Can't say enough about it. It gives such glide to the razor that you could shave without cream. Only advice would be to make sure you constantly rinse the razor during the shave and then disassemble the razor and clean thoroughly after. It can definitely clog it up.

Top Bottom