What's new

Not Sure if This is the Place to Post This, but Any Experience with The Rolls Razor?

Pasting the case strop with ferric oxide is working well.
Because it's flat, there's no cupping and on the second shave the blade is settling in and has become smoother and sharper.
It could very well be that this way the blade can be maintained indefinitely in the case and only needs honing once in its lifetime.

I've thought about using chromium oxide too but that might cut too fast for daily use.

As far as the case hone goes, I guess it's completely superfluous now but I can see how lapping film overlaid on it could work though not sure whether 1u or 3u would be better.
Maybe 3u on the hone and chromium oxide on the strop, or 1u on the hone and ferric oxide on the strop?

In the meantime, I lapped the case hone on an Imperial set with a 600 grit synthetic and oiled it too, to see if that will refine its polishing power, but it may not be necessary at all since the blade's been through a full hone progression outside the case and is being maintained on ferric oxide.
proxy.php

Last edited:
My viscount is steel and built like a bunker.

Shaved with the Viscount last night after taking the blade through a bevel set, Welsh slate progression, crox on balsa then case stropping with that weird chipboard strop which I repasted with ferric oxide.

Wow! A super shiny face shave :)
The Viscount handle is aluminium and a lot lighter than the Imperial handle.
Similar to those bakelite DEs, this makes it very manouverable but the stroke has less momentum.

That Viscount case is also very different from the weighty Imperial and is kind of sleek and futuristic.

This is a great thread to see. I've been working on getting a Rolls usable and, like many others, the issue has been that the blade simply isn't sharp enough. I ordered some lapping film and am going to try it mounted in the case. What I'm wondering is whether to use is on the strop side (pulling the blade) or on the hone side (pushing the blade). I'm going to try 5um, 3um, 1um, and then the strop. (Which I've cleaned up with Fromms.) Any suggestions?

This is a great thread to see. I've been working on getting a Rolls usable and, like many others, the issue has been that the blade simply isn't sharp enough. I ordered some lapping film and am going to try it mounted in the case. What I'm wondering is whether to use is on the strop side (pulling the blade) or on the hone side (pushing the blade). I'm going to try 5um, 3um, 1um, and then the strop. (Which I've cleaned up with Fromms.) Any suggestions?

The Rolls Razor Renaissance is in full swing!
I'm sure the key is to hone the blade through a full progression outside the box first.

I've been thinking of trying 1u lapping film on the hone and chromium oxide on the strop.

It's already working great without using the case hone and stropping on ferric oxide in the case, and this may maintain the edge indefinitely, but I want to see what a lapped and oiled case hone can do too.

But really, once the blade's been made shave ready by external honing then it's all jam :)

Also if anybody's got a Rolls but no honing set up, I'll happily hone their blade to shave readiness for them free of charge (though maybe we could arrange some kind of small trade :) ).
I'm in UK so US postage will take a few days but it's worth the wait.

Top Bottom