What's new

Not Sure if This is the Place to Post This, but Any Experience with The Rolls Razor?

Any idea where to find it or at least where to start looking? Mine seems to have a pretty smooth action with a fair amount of pressure but it may be a bit too forceful at this point.

I'm not really inclined, but different stropping mediums impregnated with different pastes in the case would probably yield interesting results.

You, sir, are a genius!
I pasted the case strop with ferric oxide and baby oil then stropped the blade in the case vigorously before shaving.

Result: the most amazing comfortable smooth BBS shave from that Rolls.

The blade had previously been honed outside the case, but now I can maintain and improve it using the original mechanism.

Think we've truly unlocked the magic now :)
proxy.php

I so glad to hear that! Kcb5150 if only you had landed a job at rolls in the thirties you may have kept them in the running longer!
I can't wait to try this after I get a new strop for it! I'm getting more and more attached to this little razor haha

Me too! Now I can maintain the blade in the case, the Rolls is everything I want in a razor...
...it's so weird that we've just managed to get the Rolls working properly decades after it ceased production.
This thread is a turning point in shaving history :)

Last edited:
Either way you deserve some credit! Maybe we should start a revival group for these guys after we work out all the little kinks in the system!

I think the Rolls deserves another chance not that stropping technology has caught up!

Surprisingly this one had a very clean strop, and I would have considered it "like new" if it didn't have those cuts in it! :mad: More than likely somebody did that to it while it was sitting out at Canton!

They are the most underrated/misunderstood razors in wet shaving... You are basically getting a 7/8 piece of beautifully ground sheffield steel with safety razor maneuverability.

Either way you deserve some credit! Maybe we should start a revival group for these guys after we work out all the little kinks in the system!

I think the Rolls deserves another chance not that stropping technology has caught up!

Great idea! Three cheers for the Rolls Revival Group!

Honestly, shaving off that pasted edge was just one of the nicest shaves I've ever had :)

The big limitation with the in case hone is that it is just barely good enough to shave with, albeit not comfortably. It can keep you socially acceptable. The paste just helps it pull more out of itself despite the inherent limitations. If you have a few strops cut to size, you could probably try a few different pastes and sprays. If I had a unit with a broken hone, I'd be really tempted to cut a piece of lucite or something to size/thickness and fit different lapping films to it. Current abrasives actually have caught up to the concept of the rolls.

Last edited:
Yeah - I reckon the best way is to treat the Rolls blade just like a straight.
Hone it once initially through a full progression, but then maintain the edge with the pasted case strop.

Great idea! Three cheers for the Rolls Revival Group!

Honestly, shaving off that pasted edge was just one of the nicest shaves I've ever had :)

I'll have to figure out how to do this! I feel like even though there are not many Rolls users at this point there are enough of these razors floating around that if we work out the kinks and limitations in the system we can get them back in use!

The big limitation with the in case hone is that it is just barely good enough to shave with, albeit not comfortably. It can keep you socially acceptable. The paste just helps it pull more out of itself despite the inherent limitations. If you have a few strops cut to size, you could probably try a few different pastes and sprays. If I had a unit with a broken hone, I'd be really tempted to cut a piece of lucite or something to size/thickness and fit different lapping films to it. Current abrasives actually have caught up to the concept of the rolls.

That actually about sums up how it shaved last night, it worked, but not exactly comfortably. Looks like my new plan of action is to get some good paste and/or a new piece of something to put in place of the stock strop.

I agree that the blade and the razor system is highly underrated, especially for us guys that enjoy a good straight razor shave but also love the feel of a safety razor in the hand!

I got my new Viscount today.
This is a very late model from the 1950s and (unlike my earlier Imperial model which has a piece of leather) the case strop is actually a piece of chipboard pasted with what looks like ferric oxide.
Obviously the move to pasting the case strop is a natural developement and I 'll be interested to see how this compares with the leather.

Gonna get honing that mint blade then!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
+1
The Rolls gives a superb shave when the blade is honed outside the box.

It seems that when new they were not shave ready, nor was the case hone adequate to give the blade a really good edge.
So many that were bought fell into disuse very quickly, which is why so many are to be found in the wild in nearly new condition.

I too hone mine with the progression I use for my straights, and it's weird to think that these razors are only now performing properly in the 21st century.

Spot on. They were a great idea but poorly executed. Literally as cheap as chips and as long as you can hone the blades they give a really good shave. I'll have to try some paste on the original Rolls strop and see how that works.

Last edited:
Shaved with the Viscount last night after taking the blade through a bevel set, Welsh slate progression, crox on balsa then case stropping with that weird chipboard strop which I repasted with ferric oxide.

Wow! A super shiny face shave :)
The Viscount handle is aluminium and a lot lighter than the Imperial handle.
Similar to those bakelite DEs, this makes it very manouverable but the stroke has less momentum.

That Viscount case is also very different from the weighty Imperial and is kind of sleek and futuristic.

Top Bottom