What's new

Tragedy!

Was stropping up this morning when the Mrs came busting into the den and startled me.....Hart broken...is it salvageable? Dead middle of the strop.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396610100.180620.jpg

Wow. So sorry for your loss. I hope you properly chastised the Mrs. I look forward to reading what the strop experts have to say about fixing this. Good luck.

Got to ask...
Your Heart was broken with the cut in the strop or was a Hart Razor broken?
Either way, sorry for the loss but hopefully it was just the strop and not a razor.
The strop is repairable.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would glue it back and use a fine sandpaper so make sure it's smooth. If nothing catch and it's fairly identical (you don't feel a patch of glue) then it should be fine.

Well, it was a Hart that did this but my autocorrect must have changed it from 'heart broken'.

Will try the glue & sand paper. Thanks guys. Really thought this might be a lost cause. Fingers crossed and I'll update when I get this fixed.

I don't have direct experience, but others have said "no glue, trim the flap with a DE blade and sand a little if needed" the idea is that the glue will cause a hard spot that you are more likely to feel when you strop.

I opened a smile almost like that in one of my strops. I used a toothpick to get superglue well into the slice and up to the edge of the "wound." Held it tight to dry and then sanded the rough area left behind smooth. The strop is wounded, but working fine.

I am a SR neophyte but I think it unlikely you will be able to glue and sand it back to original condition. Much better to trim it and have a inch or so where the edge no longer touches the leather than to have a hard spot, or even worse, a lump, that hits your edge on every stroke.

I am a SR neophyte but I think it unlikely you will be able to glue and sand it back to original condition. Much better to trim it and have a inch or so where the edge no longer touches the leather than to have a hard spot, or even worse, a lump, that hits your edge on every stroke.
It won't be original condition, but gluing and sanding will stabilize the gash and leave it slightly lower than before. I would think leaving a hole looks terrible, reminds you of your stropping error and is more likely to fray around the edges.

Any suggestions on sanding grit? I picked up some 800 and 1500 over the weekend. The 1500 didn't make much progress and i'm afraid to use teh 800 as it seems a little too aggressive. Not alot of options here in Hong Kong....no home depot's around the corner.

Put the 800 to it. You can always finish with the 1500 after you get the heavier work done. If you have it available I would start coarser yet. After you smooth out the spot you can work down the grits to get the finish you want. Most leathers are amazingly forgiving of some sandpaper work. It will never be as pretty as it once was, but it will work just fine.

Sorry for the bad luck. Same thing happened when my ex came in my house one morning to borrow money :mad3:

Top Bottom