What's new

FS Chubby - A+

I'll admit I was wrong. But you just proved my point with that post. Not unreasonable to think that a low-cost Chinese brush could be as dense as the legendary CH series. I did just get a 30mm Super from TGN and set the loft at 50mm and it wasn't even close. I've had some TGN F2 knots that I've been in love with and some that were more scritchy than some Pure knots I've used. It's all in the batch. The Chubby shown above, in Super mind you, is one of the most scritchy brushes I have left after my recent den clearance. That should simpley not be the case at $185. And the Frank brush is far more dense looking at the picture of them side by side. Softer too...

Wait, so that's a Simpson Chubby 2 Super on the top/right? I'd honestly return it. That looks way underfilled.

Edit: Oh wait, is it two band Super? Nevermind then. Two bands are a lot less packed than three's. That also explains the scritch a bit if the loft is on the low side.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's really sparse for a three band super, looking at the price, I'm guessing you got it used... and very cheaply used. Was it sold as a shedder? Because that's really far less hair than I've seen in any other 3 band chubby. By comparison, look at Bob's two band chubby above. It's denser than your three, which isn't normal. Normally the three bands have MUCH more hair.

FWIW - the TGN is a nominal 30mm knot, but it actually measures about 32.5mm. The CH3 is about 31mm.

When dry, the TGN knot is remarkably similar to the CH3 2-band in tip softness, density, scritch and overall appearance. In use they are also very similar, but the TGN is a bit stiffer, so I find myself reaching for the Chubby 3 a lot more frequently than the TGN.

Pictures Please

I'm new to DE shaving and certainly not an expert on brushes. This is the first brush I purchased after joining B&B. It's a FS Silver Tip Badger with a 26mm knot and a 50mm loft. It had fourteen customer reviews on Amazon and received a five star rating. I paid 59.95 plus tax for it in December of 2013. I took these pictures today.

It's a nice brush. It holds lots of water, very soft on my face. Lathers hard soaps and creams well. It lost a couple of hairs during the break-in period. It's been rock solid and tight as a drum since. Since I've never owned Simpson's, Thaters, Parkers, etc., I'm not qualified to debate how tight the knot is packed compared to the competition.

I do know that all Badger Hair comes from China. Companies who assemble them in England,Germany, USA, etc get to imprint that boldly on the horn handle. I also know that labor is more expensive in industrialized countries. This makes the final cost of production more expensive.

Just from looking at pictures of the above mentioned brushes this one looks as good or maybe even better. I look forward to reading the comments from the members who know much more about shaving brushes than I do. Thanks for your input.

View attachment 433223
View attachment 433225
View attachment 433226
View attachment 433227
View attachment 433228

$p20679179-6.jpg

Top Bottom