What's new

Nib Acquisitions for April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397040642.554165.jpg a Kaweco kia2

currently writing with my yellow VP that I got off the b/s/t from our own Mike H.
Inked up with Alt Bordeaux right now, it's a really great everyday pen. This has a F nib, which isn't normally my cup o' tea no matter how many times I try them. Time for more shopping!

A little blue ink arrived today: J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir and Quink blue-black bottles, and a package of Diamine Sapphire Blue cartridges for my trip (I won't use all 18 on this trip... at least I hope not).

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397365717.076598.jpg.

What was waiting for me at home tonight. The metropolitan is so smooth. This will replace the Varsity in my pocket. Think the preppy will become my leave at work for notes. My wife got her plummix and petit1 today and likes them better than the Varsity. I tried them and I did not like them. Was also told no more pen orders for a while.

A bunch of stuff arrived over the weekend, so here goes . . .

View attachment 436752View attachment 436753View attachment 436754View attachment 436755View attachment 436756

Another Jinhao dragon fountain pen. I have't inked it yet, but this one feels like the cap snaps on much more securely. I do wonder what kind of nibs I can use in it (920 model) . . . a Noodler's flex nib if it takes #2's would be incredibly cool.

Waterman Kultur - I have very mixed feelings about this one, but it makes me appreciate my Metros and Duke more.

Pros - the reflective material really does change color (blue to purple and back). It's listed as a fine nib, and dang is it fine! Pretty smooth, although not quite a Pilot Metro or Duke - I think that this is the Phileas nib and feed. The transparent neck is fun to see the different colors. The feed fills up with ink from the cartridge very quickly, and it strikes me as being reliable in the 2 milliseconds that I've played with it. It may actually flex a bit at the nib - see below.

Cons - the cap is ridiculously tight. Two hands to open with a lot of force! The plastic body feels pretty darn cheap. It doesn't feel like a "quality pen", but rather a student pen.

Nib/writing - it writes a very fine line, at least as fine as a Metro. The ink is correspondingly lighter in color, so I think that this puts my idea of "Asian nibs are lighter" to rest in that it's based on line width. It does feel like a dry writer, though it didn't skip or anything. It does seem to change line darkness based on pressure (see pic in my next post), which is kind of fun to play with. It's certainly not as flexible as a Noodler's Nib Creaper (my only real flex point of reference), but it is fun.

The fact that I can't get the pen to uncap without almost pulling my rotator cuff is the biggest negative, followed by the plastic body "feel". I think that Pilot Metros and my Duke will continue to be my "uncap and take a quick note" pens. And probably my Jinhaos, except that I dropped my bigger Jinhao and the cap comes off very easily (no crack that I can see, though), which makes it a desk pen that doesn't travel. The little one ought to be fun.

Aston 3 pen case - mixed feelings. As I'm sure y'all have figured out, I'm really picky. I wanted a 3-pen leather pen case that let you get to your pens very quickly, was high quality, and didn't require you to always slide the pocket clip over really soft leather like the usual 3 pen sleeves. This fits all of those criteria, and has a nice leathery smell to boot. On the downside, it feels like leather over cardboard, so it is stiff in a way that I hadn't appreciated. Thinking about it, it's probably the best small case for me, but I do wish that the leather felt nice and thick like Aston's 1 pen sleeves (which are a pain to use but look and feel really nice - I have a black and a brown from my Nussbaums).

Aston 20 pen case - as you'd expect, a nice zippered leather pen case with 1 major and 1 minor flaw. Major - the internal velvet flap doesn't cover the topmost and bottom-most pen loops, so your "end pens" can bang up against each other. Why the heck they designed it this way is beyond me. I consider this an 18 pen case for that reason. Minor issue is the inside hinge doesn't look well finished, but that's pretty minor.

I should add that I upgraded to Aston leather cases after reading that cheaper chromium tanned leather can discolor pens in the long run. Apparently, vegetable-tanned/more expensive leather cases don't do that (like Aston), so I went with them.

En route - a vintage Waterman.

FPAD - yup, it's real. <sigh>

$IMG_6376.jpg

Waterman Kultur with different amounts of pressure.

Jinhao writes with a ? medium line, didn't feel energetic enough for a pic of that. Very smooth. For the money, Jinhao makes a really smooth nib - I just wish that they were finer. Tried some J. Herbin Pouissere de Lune or however you spell it . . . will try something more bluish next, I think.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A brand new Noodler's Ahab flex nib pen! For the bargain price of $20. I read a bunch of reviews over at Fountain Pen Network and decided to give it a try. I will be using it for Spencerian and (eventually) for Pitman shorthand, but that latter must wait until after I complete my Spencerian studies.

Can't wait to flush it out and then fill it with my Noodler's black bulletproof ink.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Another Vacumatic. I really have been trying to add new Vacs to the collection so when I found this 1945 Canadian Junior in black I snatched it up. Needed a diaphragm and a polish.
Vac Juniors are the same size as the Majors, about 5 inches capped but didn't offer the extended blue diamond warranty and occasionally have a sweet soft nib, plus the two thin cap bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I returned from a family visit to Switzerland last Tuesday night. I managed to drag home several bottles of Swiss Pitralon aftershave, but the only fountain-pen-related purchase I brought back was two 30 ml bottles of Pelikan Blue-Black ink from the amazing Landolt Arbenz shop on the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich. I haven't had a chance to load it into a pen yet, but I'm looking forward to trying out this legendary "Füllhaltertinte".

$IMG_1421.jpg

Picked up a couple of field notes packs while out at a long weekend geocaching event.
Great to be able to get some in Aus :biggrin1:

$SAM_0102.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom