What's new

Meat Thermometers for Smokers

Brucered's recent post about smoking brisket triggered a question that has been on my mind.

There have been certain things I have been smoking that I have been relying on the temperature on the smoker and the usual time it takes to smoke something. Items like fish or ribs are relatively easy to handle.

However, larger pieces of meat such as brisket or roasts may require that the meat reach a certain internal temperature. I have been using a standard meat thermometer that works in an oven. However, I really don't like leaving this is a roast for such a long period of time.

Hence, my question. What do you experts use?

Second question: do any of you use a wireless thermometer and if so, which one?

I use a Maverick ET-7 wireless remote thermometer while doing briskets and pork butts. It is accurate enough to get me real close then I use my Thermopen which is highly accurate to make shire I have hit the right target temp.
The Thermopen comes with a calibration certificate and I treat it like a baby. I feel very confident when using it. And, It is instant read.

Maverick ET-733 in the smoker/hooded BBQ and Maverick ET-75 if I'm smoking and crusting a solid piece on the rotisserie.

D

dwLost

Thermapen: here's my arsenal. Alton Brown had an interesting video on BBQ in 2011. I'm not sure if I agree with everything but informative just the same.

http://www.tvoop.com/recording/7352-good-eats-right-on-q-full-hd-quality

$002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Maverick ET732s and a Thermapen for final meat temperatures. I love the Mavericks. I own four of them and have never had any issues. I had a Taylor Weekend Warrior 808 and it had to be treated with kid gloves. I also had one made by Bradley and it was the pits.

I've got a Stoker powerdraft system that has a ridiculously accurate temp probe on it and the mavericks are always within a degree or two of it.

A good instant read is worth it's weight in gold. The remote probes are great, but the temperature variance in different parts of a big cut of meat can be pretty wild.

These look to be a great value: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html

Last edited:
I have a thermapen that I use all the time (even when cooking in the house) and a Maverick ET-732 for overnight cooks.

Brisket is done when it probes like room temp butter. The thermal pen and the maverick 732 or 733 are great thermometers.

My trusty Maverick Redi-Check remote unit has been replaced.
$41VDYZJ77EL.jpg

Theromworks just put their new Commercial Series Chef Alarms on sale for $41.00 plus shipping..your choice of colors too.

$chefalarm_blue_z_ee.jpg

Great products. I have a Thermapen I swear by....

My thermapen is invaluable at our house. I should never have waited so long to get one. For all of the crappy thermometers that I have bought over the years, I could have a thermapen for grilling, one for smoking, and another one for indoor cooking.

I use the Maverick, and thermapen combo too.

Maverick is really awesome on the overnight cooks, as the alarm is enough to wake me up to refuel.

Well, gents, thanks for your suggestions. Ordered a Thermapen and it is on the way.

You can't go wrong with a Thermapen. After numerous Taylor and store brands, mine was replaced with a Thermapen and it's like night and day.

Instant read Thermometers always took 10-30sec to dial in the temp...the Thermapen dials it in, in a about 2sec.

Congrats on one of the best BBQ purchases you could make and the last Instant Read you will ever need. I can't say enough good things about it.

$IMG_7980.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Thermapen. After numerous Taylor and store brands, mine was replaced with a Thermapen and it's like night and day.

Instant read Thermometers always took 10-30sec to dial in the temp...the Thermapen dials it in, in a about 2sec.

Congrats on one of the best BBQ purchases you could make and the last Instant Read you will ever need. I can't say enough good things about it.

View attachment 431005

You are making my mouth water - and it's not even 10:00 a.m.!

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought to myself, why on earth would people who smoke cigars need a meat thermometer? Then I realized... duh! :blushing:

Top Bottom