What's new

Field Notes Wrapped In Wood?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395896252.982001.jpg

What ya think? Apparently it's a cherry wood veneer. $10 for a 3pk available this spring.

I kinda want these. Wonder how it would hold up in a jeans back pocket though. Maybe not very well.

Here's the story: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/03/fetish-put-futura-flora/?mbid=social_twitter

I'm part of the Field Notes colors subscription. Received these last week. Really nice and I think they will hold up for you in the back pocket. But I suppose it depends how long you carry it. I fill up at least 1 notebook per month so they don't have a lot of time to wear out.

Actually, Jason, Field Notes is a great company and they always send extra stuff with the quarterly mailing. They sent me extra notebooks. I think I still have your address from the blade exchange. I'll send you one of the wood notebooks and you can try it out for yourself. I'll get it out to you tomorrow.

Last edited:
so are they hardcover? reinforced in some way? .. I know veneer is flexible, but I would still find it fragile for an application like this. They look interesting.

sorry if I'm being a pest :)

since you had had them in hand .. it is real wood veneer right? not just imitation texture of some sort?

Not a pest at all. It feels like real veneer to me but I am not an expert. It is decidedly different from their other covers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Aaaaand I just placed my order. After watching the video I decided it was just to cool to pass up.

I still have about half the pages left on my Rhodia notebook Doug (Nemo) kindly sent me. Might be a while before I actually put these to use but I just had to have them.

Aaaaand I just placed my order. After watching the video I decided it was just to cool to pass up.

I still have about half the pages left on my Rhodia notebook Doug (Nemo) kindly sent me. Might be a while before I actually put these to use but I just had to have them.

See post #2. You're going to net out with 4 of them. I sent you one of my extras today. Ha ha.

I love the look of these. So are they better with fountain pens than other field notes? That was the only reason I went with the Clairfontaine personal notebooks. I am building a wooden, desk pen and notebook holder similar to "The Groove" on Etsy next week. These personal notebooks would look awesome with it!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/1722908...&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery

I've not really had many problems with Field Notes and fountain pens being incompatible unless it's a really wet ink and/or broader nib. That being said, the paper in the wood editions seems to be even a little better and more absorbent. I tried my medium nib parker on a regular FN book and there was some bleedthrough. The same pen did NOT produce bleedthrough on the wooden edition.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm part of the Field Notes colors subscription. Received these last week. Really nice and I think they will hold up for you in the back pocket. But I suppose it depends how long you carry it. I fill up at least 1 notebook per month so they don't have a lot of time to wear out.

Actually, Jason, Field Notes is a great company and they always send extra stuff with the quarterly mailing. They sent me extra notebooks. I think I still have your address from the blade exchange. I'll send you one of the wood notebooks and you can try it out for yourself. I'll get it out to you tomorrow.

Somehow I missed this and the notebook showed up today at a complete surprise!
Thanks my friend!

paper cuts AND splinters... nice lol

I've always wanted a splinter in a paper cut because, each by themselves didn't sting enough...

Jason...why do I keep reading your posts? Now I have something else to buy. Oh well, I do need some more paper. Might as well get some that looks cool.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've always wanted a splinter in a paper cut because, each by themselves didn't sting enough...

Jason...why do I keep reading your posts? Now I have something else to buy. Oh well, I do need some more paper. Might as well get some that looks cool.

:thumbup: at least I usually buy inexpensive things

Top Bottom