What's new

Weck wecprep razor

I just scored this after waiting for months for one to show up. Will report on my shave impressions once I try it out.

Attachments

• $$_57.jpg
    $$_57.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 165
Good luck. Thanks for sharing the photo. That could be pretty tricky if you used the blade in the razor on the right with the short head. Looks like you might bet a lot of blade flex.

I am thinking on using the large one with the Personna shaper blades. I dont think the little one will be good for shaving the whole face, maybe for trimming. I dont think they make new blades for the JR.

I use Personna and Fromm hair shaper blades in a Weck medical and similar razors. I tried vintage Weck blades too. The vintage Weck blade I tried was awful. Personna blades are a bit rougher and Fromm blades a bit smoother, though the Personnas work better in the Weck medical with the guard on. Personna and Fromm blades both seem to last forever.

I got these from Sally Beauty. They appear to be a new version from 2014. It is the first week they have them in stock. In my store the single packages are the old ones, the Personna font is tilted. I have not ready any reviews on the sharper ones. lets see... Paid 7.99 for them, it may have 12 blades instead of 10 as the individual package says Free extra blade. Will edit the post once I open one. BTW, they have a buy two get one free promotion until the end of march.
Opened the pack, 12 blades total.

Attachments

• $IMAGE_89.jpg
    $IMAGE_89.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I am impressed with the first shave, very smooth and mild. Maybe it has to do with the new 25% sharper personna hair shaper. Now, off the bat I thought I would have a problem, the Personna Hair shaper's spline is not as thick as the Weck blade so it was dancing on the razor. Maybe the old Personna's are a bit thicker. So I endend up placing a strip of tape on one side of the spline, this fixed the problem. However in comparing the Personna blade fit vs the Weck blade, the personna sits lower and touches the extremes of the comb, as a result very little gap and exposure. If Iook at the Weck blade, it does not rest against the comb, barely above it and it looks much more aggressive. Next time I go to Sally I will get the older Personna and the Fromm just to compare. This new Personna felt DE smooth. I had a three pass BSS shave with a bit of overall irritation (similar to when I use a feather de blade). I found the razor very easy to use and the size convenient as I could use either end of the razor to easily do my mustache area and under the nose. Also one thing I noticed with both the little weck and the large weck is that the comb is not totally straight from east to west, there seems to be a small curvature dipping down. The comb is very, very hard so I dont think it is bent and looks like a curvature done with a purpose. Maybe it helps the sides of the blade hug the face better since the blade is 2 1/4 inches. In any case I did not feel the curvature doing anything negative. Also, the shave was a bit quicker as the blade covers more real estate.

Overall, very nice.

Personna with tape side up
$IMAGE_101.jpg

Weck Blade
$IMAGE_102.jpg

Personna Tape side down (No way)
$IMAGE_103.jpg

Personna Tape side up
$IMAGE_99.jpg

Last edited:
Another shave with this thing today. It is seriously smooth, it must be the combination of mild blade gap and sharpness. Today I did just two passes, WTG and XTG Nose to Ear and I got a BSS. For me a two pass BSS is reserved for my R41's and maybe the Futur. I did get a bit of irritation below the sides of the mouth below the lip. Still reminds me of the sharpness of the Feather. Lets see if the blade looses some of it sharpens and does not give me the irritation.

I did notice that the Personna blade has a defect (could be a good one) in that the blade does not protrude perpendicular to the spline and that is why the blade exposure is different when I turn it around and slide it into the razor. I did check all the blades on the box and they all look the same. The Weck blades are straight and the spline appears to be a lot stronger. The tilt on the Personna blade goes down on the side that the spline has a small crimp on the edge, visible on the pictures in the previous posts.

Yesterday I did a two pass with the 2013 R41, it was an incredible shave, doesnt feel as smooth but the results is awesome and the face feels much calmer with no irritation. It takes double the amount of strokes. This weck covers a lot more real estate on each pass.

And BTW I used TBS Maca Root for the first time, excellent cream.

Last edited:
yesterday I picked up some Fromm 105 and the older Personna Blades.

Today I tried with the Fromm. Picking up the blase, the fromm feels heavier than the personna, feels very similar to the Weck. The spline is thick and even and it fit nicely on the razors slot. The blade looks more aggressive than the personna. However, the save is completely different. The sharpness is nowhere near the sharpness of the latest personna, the Fromm feels more that a PFTE coated Gem blade. The overall shave felt like an SE shave. Not unsmooth but never like with the new Personna blade. I had to do a three pass today and did not get near the 2 pass result from yesterday, only DFS. I did not get any irritation at all, alum block was quite passive. Yesterday I received a sextoblade, maybe on that one the Fromm shines. From what I have read, I dont think the old personna will be much better than the Fromm. One thing for sure, the new personna is as sharp as a feather DE but much smoother.

Note that the old personna pack has an advertisement for the new 25% sharper blade.
$IMAGE_105.jpg

Fromm mounted from either side looks the same.
$IMAGE_106.jpg

Old Personna crimp side down
$IMAGE_107.jpg

Old Personna crimp side up
$IMAGE_108.jpg

Last edited:
I can't speak to your razor, but in hair shapers/shavettes my old Personnas (from 2007, no advertisement for the new 25% sharper blade) are sharper and harsher than Fromms.

Have not tried the old personna yet but today I tried a weck blade. Not smooth at all. Did 4 strokes on my cheek and quit. Finished the shave with a Pal adjustable and the shave was excellent.

Top Bottom