What's new

Need Suggestions for first Ever Ready 100 Restore

I just got a EverReady 100 brush to restore and I have a few questions. I have drilled out the knot. Can I leave the original knot shelf or am I better off removing the self and creating my own? Also, I am looking for suggestions on what size Silver Tip knot I should put in the handle. Right now I face lather. Thanks for all the suggestions in advance.

Here is are pictures of the handle I am restoring.
$uploadfromtaptalk1395093177608.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1395093190459.jpg

You could leave the shelf until the replacement knot arrives. Place the knot in the handle and see if it's deep enough for you. If it is then you're good to go, but if you want a shorter loft you could drill it out and go from there.

As for knot size, typically you'll want to go 1-2mm smaller than the diameter of the hole. If it measures 20mm then go with an 18mm knot. TheGoldenNib (TGN), Whipped Dog, and Virginia Sheng seem to get good reviews for their knots. I only have experience with TGN and have been very happy with them.

Hi mate, I have one of those to restore as well.

If the shelf is nice and sturdy and will suit the loft of your new knot then I can't see any reason to remove it. If it's not solid then it's better off cleaned out and start from scratch.

As a general rule the knot you fit should be about 2mm least than the diameter of the opening, once you determine this then you can buy the knot to suit test your loft then set it with epoxy.

It looks ad though you have a ring of some sort inside the hole, if that's was removed it would allow you a bit more room for a slightly bigger knot.

Best of luck in what ever you choose, I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Cheers.

Hi mate, I have one of those to restore as well.

If the shelf is nice and sturdy and will suit the loft of your new knot then I can't see any reason to remove it. If it's not solid then it's better off cleaned out and start from scratch.

As a general rule the knot you fit should be about 2mm least than the diameter of the opening, once you determine this then you can buy the knot to suit test your loft then set it with epoxy.

It looks ad though you have a ring of some sort inside the hole, if that's was removed it would allow you a bit more room for a slightly bigger knot.

Best of luck in what ever you choose, I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Cheers.

put me down for another one of these. I took the knot out of it, and i also took out that ring you mentioned. After reading Curt Corwin's blog about restoring one of these, it looks like i should be able to fit a 22mm knot in there (without that ring).

How can i get rid of that yellowish/light brown hue and make it as white as possible?

How can i get rid of that yellowish/light brown hue and make it as white as possible?

I'm not sure if it you will be able to fully remove the brown hue, but the best way to restore the finish is by wet sanding. Start at a low grit and work up to the higher grits 320-2000 is usually the range this will remove scratches and can be very effective in bringing back the original finish. Then polish using plastex or some other plastic polish.

I am part way through mine at the moment but don't have any pics if the sanding process, this is what I started with

$image.jpg

I hope to smooth it out and have it highly polished.

Here is a picture I took after sanding and polishing with a headlight polish. The lighting isn't the best but it is less yellow than when I started. I just ordered a knot and it will take awhile to get here. I will post more progress picks. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm not sure if it you will be able to fully remove the brown hue, but the best way to restore the finish is by wet sanding. Start at a low grit and work up to the higher grits 320-2000 is usually the range this will remove scratches and can be very effective in bringing back the original finish. Then polish using plastex or some other plastic polish.

I am part way through mine at the moment but don't have any pics if the sanding process, this is what I started with

I hope to smooth it out and have it highly polished.

where can find higher grit paper than 400 (thats all i have right now). Home depot doesnt carry anything higher than that.

Here is a picture I took after sanding and polishing with a headlight polish. The lighting isn't the best but it is less yellow than when I started. I just ordered a knot and it will take awhile to get here. I will post more progress picks. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It's looking very good.

where can find higher grit paper than 400 (thats all i have right now). Home depot doesnt carry anything higher than that.

If you can't get it locally try eBay you can pick up a pick that will have a range right up to 3000

I use the stuff from the auto parts store (wet/dry).

Yes, me too.

Capslock,
I have my knot on order and when it arrives I will measure the base then open up the hole in the handle. I believe that I am going to remove the shelf now on the fact that this thing stinks! I don't know if its the old glue, knot residue, or a combination of both but the smell is horrendous. Hopefully this will rid my handle of an odor.

Capslock,
I have my knot on order and when it arrives I will measure the base then open up the hole in the handle. I believe that I am going to remove the shelf now on the fact that this thing stinks! I don't know if its the old glue, knot residue, or a combination of both but the smell is horrendous. Hopefully this will rid my handle of an odor.

Yes it is!

I took the handle apart and let soak for about 10-15 mnutes in dishwashing soap. The smell is gone from the handle, but that ring... it's just terrible. I won't be using it anyway.

I used 1500 and 2000 wet dry with soapy water and then finished with Mequiars Plastx all from the auto store. I sanded in one direction and used a cotton undershirt with small circular motions with the plastx. I was surprised at the small amount necessary on the Plastx and it came out to a mirror finish. The white letters are Testors and wiped off with a piece of stiff paper so I would push the paint into the grooves but wipe off the excess. The paper had a small amount of Goo Gone as a solvent. Left over nite to dry and Plastx off any paint residue. Looked good to me !!
$Brush Ever Ready 150.jpg

Dang! You guys are going to force me to start restoring brushes!! My Acquisition Disorder was finally starting to slow and now it's ramped up on brushes... Ohh well, I've said it before.. I'm never going to be able to afford to retire... :blush:

Looks great BTW.. Keep up the good work!

I was able to remove the ring, then I ran out of time. The opening measures around 22mm now. I will open up the hole more to fit my knot that is 24mm. I have to ask how far does the shelf go down. I am just past 20mm and I still haven't removed all the shelf.

Top Bottom