What's new

Homemade Shaving Soap Discussion Club

I would like to start a discussion topic about creating your own DIY Homemade shaving soap. There have been a few topics where there was some good information/discussions going, but unfortunately the topics were either removed, moved to an area where they were locked to the general members, or got lost in the archive.

Hopefully, this thread will allow people to discuss recipes, places to purchase the software/equipment, tips/tricks, scents, amounts, etc...

I will try to keep the first post updated with any recipes, or link to recipes, from this thread. If this gets rolling, we can categorize them by Hot Process, Cold Process, and then have a section just on scents. So everyone, lets post our recipe's, lessons learned, and advice. :thumbup:

Here are two very good threads to read up on:

Soapcalc and Miller Soap are two sites that are good resources for learning how to make soap.

Cold process soaps: Cold process soaps aren't heated after the lye is mixed in. The only heat used in the process is to melt the oils. CAUTION: Freshly made cold process soap "batter" is caustic until the soap is firm and saponification is complete, after 24 hours or so.

Hot process soaps are: Heat is applied to accelerate the process/reaction and allow a soap to be used within a few days to a week.

Both cold process and hot process have their benefits and drawbacks.

NOTE: We need to keep this to general discussion, and not turn this into a Hobbyist type thread, where people are trying to sell their soap, ideas or equipment. That will lead to this thread being removed.

When creating a recipe the soapcalc website can help you out tremendously - soapcalc.net

To test to see if your soap is complete, there seems to be two methods: 1) Zap test, where you take a small sample and put it to your tongue to see you get a zap like a 9V battery. If it zaps it needs longer cooking times. 2) Using a pH test strip to see if the pH is between 9.5 and 10.5 - appropriate for soap. Obviously, the test strip method will be more accurate.

Tips when using lye: 1) Do not use glass containers, as the heat can make them explode. 2) Pour the lye into the water. Pouring water onto lye could cause a volcano type eruption.

Cold Process Recipe's - Note: Links to post in this thread

Hot Process Recipe's - Note: Links to post in this thread

Scent Recipe's - Most recommendations I have seen state about 1oz total all scents per pound of base oils

• Vanilla Extract is an inexpensive way to get some scent in your soap
  • 2/3 Lemon & Bergamot + 1/3 Rosemary
  • Eucalyptus / Mint
  • MdC type scent: 8 parts lavender, 5 parts rosemary, 1 part mint

Places to purchase software / hardware

NOTE: We need to keep this to general discussion, and not turn this into a Hobbyist type thread, where people are trying to sell their soap, ideas or equipment. That will lead to this thread being removed.

Moderator Note Due to the limitations of our Forum software, the OP is no longer able to update/edit this post. Please follow the thread for up-to-date information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a formula posted by JBLA (Hobbyist) for a vegan hot press soap: Link to Post
NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with JBLA. I just found a post where he shared.

236g stearic acid
218g coconut oil
228g water
98g lye
3 tbsp glycerin

This recipe was cooked for approximately 2 hours and ended up with a pH around 10 - measured using pH test strips

Here is the SoapCalc recipe:

SoapCalc ©Recipe Name:Print Recipe
Total oil weight1 lb
Water as percent of oil weight50.168 %
Super Fat/Discount5 %
Lye Concentration30.000 %
Water : Lye Ratio2.333:1
Sat : Unsat Ratio95 : 5
Iodine6
INS226
Fragrance Ratio0
Fragrance Weight0 oz
PoundsOuncesGrams
Water0.5028.027227.556
Lye - KOH0.2153.44097.524
Oils1.00016.000453.592
Fragrance0.0000.0000.000
Soap weight before CP cure or HP cook
proxy.php
#√Oil/Fat%PoundsOuncesGrams
1Stearic Acid52.0000.5208.320235.868
2Coconut Oil, 76 deg48.0000.4807.680217.724
Totals1001.00016.000453.592

Here is a formula posted by charles_r for a tallow hot press soap: Link to Post

50% Stearic
20% Tallow
20% Coconut Oil
10% Castor Oil
Lyes: 67% KOH, 33% NaOHFor one pound of shaving soap:
Oils
Beef Tallow 165g (33%)
Stearic Acid 165g (33%)
Coconut Oil 100g (20%)
Castor Oil 70g (14%)

Lye
Sodium Hydroxide (NAOH) 25.2g
Potassium Hydroxie (KOH) 65.6g
Distilled/Purified Water 180g
This is a 35% NaOH to 65% KOH ratio in snowdrift farm's calculator.

Here is a formula posted by parihart for a tallow hot press soap: Link to Post With Instructions

THE SOAPS:
Tallow : 40g
Stearic acid: 30g
Coconut Oil: 10g
Cocoa Butter: 5g
Shea Butter: 5g
Almond Oil: 2g
Avocado Oil: 2g

THE ADDITIVES:
Jojoba Oil: 4g (I only super-fat my soaps at 1% so I need additional oil for conditioning- I also have dry skin and Jojoba works the best for my skin)
Glycerin: 1g (Helps the homogenization of the mix)
Sandalwood essential oil-1g (for those of you keeping track thats 1% sandalwood- yeah its crazy how good it smells)

This recipe uses soaps grated and then blended later on in the process. It was a very interesting recipe. I recommend clicking on the link and going to the post.

Thanks for the post here! I am buying gear to start formulating my own Italian soft soap. I will base my formula off of an old world style (stearic, tallow, coconut oil, castor oil, shea butter, glycerine, and maybe some Kaolin.

I am going to use the hot process, as I have just about everything i need. I have never made soap before, so I have been reading a lot lately.

Most interesting! Will follow with great interest. Now that I am retired, I need some projects, and this kind of thing looks terrific. One thing about soap making that I have never seen discussed is how you clean up the crockpot, blender and other equipment when you are finished. Would like to hear about that. Another thing that intrigues me is how all the recipes seem to end up with over 100%! Would also like to hear about how that happens.

Wearing rubber gloves and your eye protection, wipe down your pots and equipment with paper towels. That way you can proceed to washing them in hot water without washing a lot of oily residue down your drains. If you are doing cold process rather than hot process (not "cold press/hot press"), the lye will still be unreacted and can burn you badly, so be careful cleaning up. If you can set the utensils aside until the next day, the residue will have saponified and you can soak them clean.

Kyle, when you figure out what you are going to do, and want to share, post your recipe and process/tips here.

Michelle, thanks so much for stopping in. Great post about the cleanup and thank you for the clarification on the hot/cold process (not press :lol: ) I have never done this as you can tell.

I am just trying to collate a lot of great info for those of us who are interested in giving it a try - even if it does end up being a one time try.

the lye will still be unreacted and can burn you badly

Have you ever encountered this, or just repeating cautionary advice? Because every batch I've mixed ceases being caustic looooooong before it's cool enough to handle anyway. Obviously, safety is important, but I think this is misinformation.That said, spilling hot soap, even not caustic, is unpleasant. It cools and sets on your skin and well, ever gotten melted plastic on yourself? It's like that, though not quite as bad.

The biggest safety tip I can give is not to crowd up to your mixing vessel when you are dissolving your lye, the fumes it gives off are probably the most dangerous thing you're going to encounter while soaping. You don't want a concentrated burst of that in your eyes or lungs.

John, washing off soap isn't necessarily as easy as it sounds, if there is a lot of it, water has saturation limits for everything that it can dissolve, soap included.

Last edited:
Have you ever encountered this, or just repeating cautionary advice? Because every batch I've mixed ceases being caustic looooooong before it's cool enough to handle anyway. Obviously, safety is important, but I think this is misinformation.That said, spilling hot soap, even not caustic, is unpleasant. It cools and sets on your skin and well, ever gotten melted plastic on yourself? It's like that, though not quite as bad.

I'm talking about freshly made soap, both before and after it's traced, but before it's gone through gel. Hot processed soap, once it's gone through gel in the pot, is saponified and the only danger is that of a high temperature, not a chemical burn. But if you've ever gotten freshly made semi-liquid cold processed soap on your skin, or into a cut or abrasion while you were pouring it into molds and cleaning up...yeah, it stings and then it burns, and the longer it stays on your skin, the worse it is. You definitely wouldn't want any in your eyes and if you get "raw" soap on your bare skin I guarantee you'll be in a hurry to wash it off.

The biggest safety tip I can give is not to crowd up to your mixing vessel when you are dissolving your lye, the fumes it gives off are probably the most dangerous thing you're going to encounter while soaping. You don't want a concentrated burst of that in your eyes or lungs.

+1 Also, always add the lye to your water, not the other way around. Work with good ventilation and wear goggles.

John, washing off soap isn't necessarily as easy as it sounds, if there is a lot of it, water has saturation limits for everything that it can dissolve, soap included.

Which is why I suggested wiping all of the soap batter out with paper towels before washing them with hot water - a squirt of dishwashing liquid helps too. Freshly made cold process soap is more oily than soap-y. But the crockpots that I use for making shaving soap wash very easily right away.

Yeah the papers towels are a good idea. I am impressively lazy though, so I usually just scrape everything off with a plastic bench scraper and toss it, then wash a bit longer.

Cold process soap, if calculated and made correctly, is safe after 24 hours. The saponification process, according to Kevin Dunn in his Scientific soap making book, is complete within 24 hours after trace if done properly. I have been making homemade soap for many years and I have used most of it within a day or two after cutting it and have not had any issues. Again this is assuming that you have a proper recipe calculated and executed the process properly. The only thing letting it cure does is to allow moisture to evaporate making the bar harder, more weight stable, and it will last a little longer when exposed to water.

Wow, great job putting all of this together! Good luck to everyone making their own soap! With only an 8 oz batch, I think it will be months before I make another. It lasts so long!

Cold process soap, if calculated and made correctly, is safe after 24 hours. The saponification process, according to Kevin Dunn in his Scientific soap making book, is complete within 24 hours after trace if done properly. I have been making homemade soap for many years and I have used most of it within a day or two after cutting it and have not had any issues. Again this is assuming that you have a proper recipe calculated and executed the process properly. The only thing letting it cure does is to allow moisture to evaporate making the bar harder, more weight stable, and it will last a little longer when exposed to water.

Yeah, I think we agree on that. She's found that batches she makes are still skin-irritatingly caustic when she pours them, but in my case I've spilled molten soap on myself many, many times while pouring it, and never had anything more than minor discomfort from the temperature. Honestly, as soon as soap traces in my case, I only avoid touching it because of the heat. I've found the residual lye, if any, is far, far too low (after trace) to cause any reaction fast or sizable enough to have a noticeable effect on my skin, but perhaps it's simply a matter of being sensitive to these things.

Good info on the cold process cure time. I will add that into the first post.

If anyone has any good proportions for scents, don't be afraid to throw them in, and I'll add them as well.

Plus if anyone has a cold process (or hot for that matter) recipe that they don't mind sharing just throw it in.

Thanks for getting this thread moving everyone!!! :thumbup:

Rob, I'd clarify in the first post that cold process post isn't heated at all once the lye is mixed in, the only heat used in the process is to melt the oils. As it is written now it says, "Cold process soaps: You do not heat/cook the soap as long." I think that could be confusing to newbies because you don't cook cold process soap at all. Also, regarding the causticity of freshly made cold process soap: I'd like to politely disagree with Slice about that. It may just be a communication problem and I suspect (because of his "molten soap" and elevated temperature comments) that he was talking about hot process while I was talking about cold process soap. Freshly made cold process soap "batter" is caustic until the soap is firm and saponification is complete, after 24 hours or so. Not my soap, all soap.

Another soaper checking-in. Great idea for a thread Android. I've been at thespian thing for about two years now. Started making bath soap and then got I to wet shaving and I've since started trial batches of shave soap.

Just recent got into lotion making as well, which is a fascinating off shoot if soap making. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to follow up a shave with my own soap with my own homemade aftershave balm.

I'm in the process of developing a shaving soap myself and can add that stearic acid content is pretty important. One of my earlier attempts had a stearic content of 21% and it wasn't a good soap. It was fairly slick but any lather dissipated fairly quickly. A later try with much the same ingredients but bumped up the stearic content to about 42% came out much better. I've heard suggestions of up to 60% stearic acid is better. Of course you can't get that high %age without adding straight stearic acid to the mix.

As far as scents go - the usual EO/FO amount is typically 3% of the soap weight. This works out to around .5 oz per pound of oils. Some EOs, mainly the citrus ones, can be safely taken to .7 oz ppo or about 5% soap weight. While stronger EOs like mints or spices are lower around .3 oz ppo. That is total scent amount, not per EO.
One of my favorite scents is an MdC type scent. A soaper over on Soap Making Forum came up with that one.
8 parts lavender, 5 parts rosemary, 1 part mint. Smells might nice!

And a word about Soap Making Forum - They are a community of soaper a lot like the great community here. They are friendly and helpful for newbies and experienced soapers alike. Check them out, highly recommended.

Rob, I'd clarify in the first post that cold process post isn't heated at all once the lye is mixed in, the only heat used in the process is to melt the oils. As it is written now it says, "Cold process soaps: You do not heat/cook the soap as long." I think that could be confusing to newbies because you don't cook cold process soap at all. Also, regarding the causticity of freshly made cold process soap: I'd like to politely disagree with Slice about that. It may just be a communication problem and I suspect (because of his "molten soap" and elevated temperature comments) that he was talking about hot process while I was talking about cold process soap. Freshly made cold process soap "batter" is caustic until the soap is firm and saponification is complete, after 24 hours or so. Not my soap, all soap.

Michelle, thanks for the awesome info. I appreciate you checking into the thread, it really helps. I'll make the clarification in the first post.

Another soaper checking-in. Great idea for a thread Android. I've been at thespian thing for about two years now. Started making bath soap and then got I to wet shaving and I've since started trial batches of shave soap.

Just recent got into lotion making as well, which is a fascinating off shoot if soap making. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to follow up a shave with my own soap with my own homemade aftershave balm.

driftwood, if you have any recipes that you don't mind sharing, go ahead and throw them in the thread. It will help newbies (such as myself) who want to give this a try.

I'm in the process of developing a shaving soap myself and can add that stearic acid content is pretty important. One of my earlier attempts had a stearic content of 21% and it wasn't a good soap. It was fairly slick but any lather dissipated fairly quickly. A later try with much the same ingredients but bumped up the stearic content to about 42% came out much better. I've heard suggestions of up to 60% stearic acid is better. Of course you can't get that high %age without adding straight stearic acid to the mix.

As far as scents go - the usual EO/FO amount is typically 3% of the soap weight. This works out to around .5 oz per pound of oils. Some EOs, mainly the citrus ones, can be safely taken to .7 oz ppo or about 5% soap weight. While stronger EOs like mints or spices are lower around .3 oz ppo. That is total scent amount, not per EO.
One of my favorite scents is an MdC type scent. A soaper over on Soap Making Forum came up with that one.
8 parts lavender, 5 parts rosemary, 1 part mint. Smells might nice!

And a word about Soap Making Forum - They are a community of soaper a lot like the great community here. They are friendly and helpful for newbies and experienced soapers alike. Check them out, highly recommended.

alaskazimm,

Great info! I will say the same to you, if you have any recipes you want/can share, it would be great.

Thanks for the scent info, I'll add it to the first post.

Top Bottom