What's new

Mandarin / Totai SE razor

I just picked up a Totai SE razor, made in Germany under the Mandarin brand name, but sold in France as Totai.
Despite it's age (made before WWI), it takes standard SE blades. I haven't shaved with it yet (there are a few razors I want to try first).
Here is an old thread on the Mandarin. Mine looks exactly like this, except it is in fairly rough shape (still perfectly serviceable).
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/202858-1903-14-Mandarin-SE-razor

Anyone here use a Mandarin / Totai?

No, never even heard of it before this post. That's a really cool looking razor though. How do you load the blade? You should definitely post pictures of yours.

I never used one, i like the roller guard though,

full

Last edited by a moderator:
No, never even heard of it before this post. That's a really cool looking razor though. How do you load the blade? You should definitely post pictures of yours.

I always hesitate to post pictures of my grungy user-grade stuff right next to the near-mint items others are posting (like the picture that Alex helpfully brought from that other thread). Nonetheless, here it is. It is an odd looking tool, but I like it.

$IMG_0222[1].jpg

I shaved with the Mandarin today. It has been a while since I shaved with an SE, so I was a bit out of practice. The result was some irritation on my jawline on the right side. Other than that, the shave was excellent. I've never met an SE (excluding injectors) that is not fairly aggressive. The Mandarin is no exception. Despite all of the wide open spaces in the head, it has a tendency to clog up a bit (nothing that a quick rinse won't cure) because the roller bar is so close to the blade. All-in-all, a very successful shave!

I shaved with the Mandarin today. It has been a while since I shaved with an SE, so I was a bit out of practice. The result was some irritation on my jawline on the right side. Other than that, the shave was excellent. I've never met an SE (excluding injectors) that is not fairly aggressive. The Mandarin is no exception. Despite all of the wide open spaces in the head, it has a tendency to clog up a bit (nothing that a quick rinse won't cure) because the roller bar is so close to the blade. All-in-all, a very successful shave!
Have you had further shaves with this, and do you have any further observations after more experience with it?

Top Bottom