What's new

USA Goodwill Restoration - Pic Heavy

I am going to post 5 before pics in my first post and 5 after pics in my second post, so please wait for my second post before responding. For some reason I can't upload multiple pics at the same time from my tablet.

So, back in January I was posting in a restoration thread commenting on how I had a few razors I needed to have restored. Shortly thereafter I received a PM from a very kind member. He generously offered to replate a razor for me. We talked back and forth about restorations we'd seen, what we liked and disliked and about different finishes. I could tell he was very detail oriented and passionate about replating. I was very honored to accept his generous offer.

Due to my schedule, it took me about 30 days to decide on a razor and send it to him. During our conversations I had mentioned the most important thing to me in a replate was retaining the original detail of the razor, as much as possible. It's so sad to se a razor where the old finish is buffed off, taking detail with it. It's also sad to see new coating put on so thick it looks like cake frosting. Having the old finish chemically stripped is very important I think, and he agreed, indicating this is how he strips all of his razors.

I selected my USA NEW Goodwill to be refurbished, so I could compare it more closely to my English Goodwill. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. The detail of the razor was preserved and it looks brand new. Very high quality work. I believe this member is in the process of securing his hobbyist badge so he can begin offering his service to members here.

Putting a razor I had replated by Dave at Restored Razor's beside this new razor, it's evident the quality is eerily similar. Both examples I have are Nickel Goodwill's and it would be hard to tell them apart without looking at the baseplates. Anyhow, I just wanted to give a shout out to this member, thank him for his work and let everyone know there may be a new service provider, once all of the proper forum protocols and rules have been complied with.

Now for the before pics:

$IMG_3535a.jpg

$IMG_3537a.jpg

$IMG_3538a.jpg

$IMG_3539a.jpg

$IMG_3541a.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! What replating materials does he offer?

My current "big 3" recommendations for replating are RestoredRazors/onotoman, Krona Kruiser, and Above The Tie. It'd be nice to have a 4th.

Congratulations! What replating materials does he offer?

My current "big 3" recommendations for replating are RestoredRazors/onotoman, Krona Kruiser, and Above The Tie. It'd be nice to have a 4th.

Right now he's just set up for nickel, but depending on demand and volume its just a matter of buying the right chemicals for other materials, I think. Hopefully he will chime in at some point and let us know.

Last edited:
That's a wonderful replate Jeff… congrats on getting that work done! Chris seems to do a stunning job… it looks like most or all of the original detail is still present, as you say. That's definitely one of the better looking replates I've ever seen. Enjoy it!

Was he able to fix the split in the handle ?

I need to go back through my emails and PM's to be sure, but I believe he did something to address it. I really have to look to see where it was. Normally relating itself will cover and stabilize a small crack. I don't use the stock handles to shave with, so as long as they're stabilized.....I'm happy.

Thanks, Jeff. Nice write up. Also thanks to the B&B members that have made kind comments about my work. This Goodwill was a lot of fun to restore and I was very pleased with the end result.

I am now officially a Hobbyist on B&B.

Mods, I apologize that Jeff's post hit the forum before I had formally finished my sign-up process. I had no idea it was going to be posted today (but I am glad it was!). I just got in from running some errands and saw this thread. It was not posted when I was on the forum earlier this afternoon. Everything should be in proper order now!

Chris

Top Bottom