What's new

Wardrobe Update/Change

Well, now that I have discovered DE shaving and this forum, you fellows have got me to thinking about my wardrobe. I turned 31 last December and have always been a t-shirt and jeans with chucks guy. Seeing the talk here makes me think it is time to update my wardrobe. I am military, so the work clothes are pretty well set.

I have talked to the wife, and she is telling me I am having a mid life crisis, however I think it is time to shift away from the t-shirt every day. Once in a while, sure, but not every day. I feel like I should be dressing a little nicer now that I am older.

What would be some fairly inexpensive options to dress up the jeans for a daily casual? I would need shoes and shirts, since jeans can be dressed up. Do I need to look at button downs or just polos?

I am also trying to figure out what style I do like, off the cuff I was thinking styles similar to Express, but nothing flashy. What is the opinion here? I know style is up to the individual, but I sorely lack much of it.

Thanks!

You'll get a lot of advice from people far more knowledgeable than I am on the subject. All I would say, initially, is that if you want to dress up your jeans, I'd go button down shirt over a polo. Find a TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Nordstrom Rack, or a similar store, and buy a few reasonably priced shirts. When you figure out what you like, you can step up price and quality if you think you need to.

And bring your wife with you. She may have suggestions you wouldn't have considered.

Oh, and 31 is way too young for a mid-life crisis.

When you look in the mirror...what do you say to yourself?

You know how you feel after a great shave...dressing sharp can add to that feeling. If your confidence soars, than your sex appeal will soar...hopefully you SWMBO will take notice. Nothing wrong with jeans a tshirt...I like a buttondown with nice creases...I try to wear a darker shirt with jeans and a lighter shirt with khakis...wear a nice pair of shoes with a shine of course...and NEVER say to your wife, maybe you should start dressing better too....OMG....when she sees that you are taking care of yourself will be a positive thing for her too....hope this helps.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I'm military, 34, and trying to get more of a grown up wardrobe. After Lots of reading this is what I've learned.

1. Before you buy anything, find a good tailor. I'm 5'4", so finding something that fits the way it should off the rack is nearly impossible for me. Having someone that can fit a suit to you, shorten sleeves, and hem cuffs is key.

2. This is the hard part, but find what you're into, style-wise. I'd suggest keeping it kind of vague at first. Find pictures of what you like other people wearing, and picture it on you. What looks good on someone else might not look good on your frame or a color shirt with your complexion.

3. Start small. I started with a slacks in gray, brown, and black. These colors work with every color shirt. I already had a few shirts from express (they seem quality and fit me pretty well), so I got a couple more. I bought some ties from www.tiebar.com and had plenty of outfit choices. A few pairs of shoes will be necessary for this, as well. A black shade and brown shade of both dress and casual will also be really versatile for your outfits. You can always expand on this later, but these basic things can help get you by for quite some time. Of course, it goes without saying that if it has belt loops, you wear a belt with it, so you'll need a couple of those.

4. Look for sales on quality items. Jos. A Bank is always having a sale on something. A couple times a year they'll have something crazy like buy one suit get two free with two shirts and a sweater. They make good entry level suits (this is where your tailor comes in handy because they don't usually employ one that will take the time you want). I'd stay with basic colors you can expand on later.

5. Look for styles that will stand the test of time. Lots of quality fitted clothing in a classic style will be good for a very long time. I look for things that are kind of basic but were both in style in the 50s and today (my preference era for clothing and most other things). This will keep you from buying clothes every couple years to replace things that haven't worn out.

I hope some of this helps, if only to provide a starting point.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely agree that I am too young for a mid-life crisis, but it is what she is mentioning.

I think I will push to start with a couple of up to date button downs and polos. Nothing too fancy, just something different than t-shirts. The shoes are what will be the hard part. The SWMBO is much more picky than I am about my own clothes, and when it comes down to it, I don't mind giving her some say since if she is happy, I am happy. So I believe that will be the biggest battle. Finding the right pair of shoes that we both agree on.

I will keep things up to date as I find things, and hopefully will start moving away from these T-shirts!

breadstick has some excellent advice.

First and for most, take it SLOW. If you want to change your style/wadrobe, great. Just don't go out and spent a thousand on all new clothing. Look at how other people dress, style icons, fashion catalogues, etc. See what elements you like, that you remember, and slowly buy clothing along those lines. Enjoy the hunt! Few things are more fun then finding some selvedge jeans on sale for 40 down from 150 (personal example haha, Naked and Famous boxed twill pants!)

You are in the perfect area for Nordstrom Rack! Super clothes, super price. I go to the one in Factoria.

Just started buying some things yesterday. Ended up at the GAP with SWMBO, and here are a couple of examples of what I got. It is a small start, but it is a good way to get away from the t-shirt. Also about to order a pair of their 1969 boot cut jeans, they fit nicely on me and aren't tight in the thighs like some other brands are. Hopefully I get enough time off work to actually wear civilian clothes, I can't wait.

Just a comfy sweatshirt, nice material on the first one, the cardigan can dress up most any shirt underneath, and the third is another sweater with the crew neck and the v look with the stitching:
$cn7298327.jpg

$cn7326254.jpg
$cn7394509.jpg

LLBean has some great entry level stuff with excellent sizing, customer service and they
stand behind what they sell. They have replaced items for me in the past with no fuss.

Top Bottom