What's new

Hot sauce junkie

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I seem to recall you had some dried Thai chili's at one time. Little dried red ones. Are those hot?

...check the South Island for fresh though.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Did you watch the video in the link I posted re Culley's. His story on how he got started can be applied in your case............less the chef history.
Do you have a farmers market or similar where you can sell a few jars? That should give you some honest feedback, with just putting a toe in the water.

Owen, Chris' idea of selling at the farmers market may be the perfect first step. Here's a link that may answer a few questions but more than likely create more questions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Farmers-Market-Vendor

http://blogs.findlaw.com/free_enter...arkets-how-to-start-and-what-rules-apply.html

Don't listen to people who tell you "NO."

Do you have a farmers market or similar where you can sell a few jars? That should give you some honest feedback, with just putting a toe in the water.
I think this is a great idea. Many people - myself included - prefer to buy locally made products. I've bought hot sauce at a farmers market and it was outstanding.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Take 2 of the Jalapenos sauce...

8 Jalapenos
Juice from 1 lime
1 garlic (middle bit removed)

Everthing in the vitamix. I added a tiny bit of water to make everything easier to blend. The vitamix was on with the super-switch up (max) for 5 mins maybe. I have something that is pasty and is now kicking a bit. Perfect spread in my tacos yesterday. I was trying a new salsa (I usually buy a specific brand but the grocery was out so I bought another one to try, normally, I should go underground and make my own salsa but didn't feel like it that day), and that new salsa is sweet but not spicy at all. With the sauce, it was much better!

Keep your empty hot sauce bottles guys to decant some Aftershave! I have a good collection of Tabasco bottles!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Take 2 of the Jalapenos sauce...

8 Jalapenos
Juice from 1 lime
1 garlic (middle bit removed)

Everthing in the vitamix. I added a tiny bit of water to make everything easier to blend. The vitamix was on with the super-switch up (max) for 5 mins maybe. I have something that is pasty and is now kicking a bit. Perfect spread in my tacos yesterday. I was trying a new salsa (I usually buy a specific brand but the grocery was out so I bought another one to try, normally, I should go underground and make my own salsa but didn't feel like it that day), and that new salsa is sweet but not spicy at all. With the sauce, it was much better!

Keep your empty hot sauce bottles guys to decant some Aftershave! I have a good collection of Tabasco bottles!

Sounds delicious.

Ha, I do that too. Just decanted some Florida Water.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I think this is a great idea. Many people - myself included - prefer to buy locally made products. I've bought hot sauce at a farmers market and it was outstanding.

This is true. Grown locally is much more fresh and tasty. People are fanatical about buying local produce and products from the farmers Market or drive-in and pick your own farms.

I haven't bought hot sauce or salsa at the Farmers Market. But, I have bought fig preserves...always on the lookout for fig jellies and preserves.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I seem to recall you had some dried Thai chili's at one time. Little dried red ones. Are those hot?

...check the South Island for fresh though.

Good memory. They are Teja Chillies from India.
Teja Chillies have a sharp peppery flavour and hot. I don't think I would like them in a sauce.
I can get some dried Bhut Jolokia Pods from Fire Dragon if heat is wanted. There are also dried habanero available as well.

I once asked for Chili from the South Island, they told me to wait for a Southerly in Winter if I wanted chilly.
They will even deliver right to my house. :letterk1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Fermentation appears to have stopped- I will check again tonight. Maybe I didn't add enough sugar/honey?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
don't sweat it over the fermentation. I'm sure it will be good to go.
I read somewhere that fermentation was about three days. This seams to be all over the place on length of time it takes.
Has it got any darker than your last photo?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
don't sweat it over the fermentation. I'm sure it will be good to go.
I read somewhere that fermentation was about three days. This seams to be all over the place on length of time it takes.
Has it got any darker than your last photo?
No, it hasn't gotten any darker.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, if it has stopped, then it is adding the vinegar, cooking, and straining.

There's no equation for this type of cooking. And, doesn't compute with me because I'm....well....methodical. That's why I love it. Ya just don't know until it hits the taste buds.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It's almost the weekend and I have the itch to try make something. Golden Kiwifruit, honey and Green Chilli............what else?

$20150423_162735.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
yeah garlic is a must. I read the Waha Wera and it list spice but not what it is.
I'm thinking a good amount of ground black pepper and maybe some ginger.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
yeah garlic is a must. I read the Waha Wera and it list spice but not what it is.
I'm thinking a good amount of ground black pepper and maybe some ginger.
Ohhhh, I love ginger. My wife makes chicken marinated in ginger, soy, garlic and honey. I could eat it everyday and not get sick of it.

Top Bottom